AF16E Spree swap, summer project!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: AF16E Spree swap, summer project!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Since I've sold a number of vital organs to afford scoot goodies, around 200.
Disclaimer: All my speed readings have been hauling my Pony Express satchel to and from work, mirrors on and Wheelman don't tuck.
Also I have yet to hold WOT for more than a half-mile, there are no hills involved, and seldom more than a few knots of wind assistance.
Also for the record: today's New World Record of 66.4 was recorded travelling North in a very light (2-5 MPH) North wind. Believe it or not.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Post by Petrock's 1984 Spree »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Disclaimer: All my speed readings have been hauling my Pony Express satchel to and from work, mirrors on and Wheelman don't tuck.
Also I have yet to hold WOT for more than a half-mile, there are no hills involved, and seldom more than a few knots of wind assistance.
Okay, i understand that.
Wheelman-111 wrote: Also for the record: today's New World Record of 66.4 was recorded travelling North in a very light (2-5 MPH) North wind. Believe it or not.
Wow thats nuts!

Im just wondering if the ratios make it possible for me to use the polini vari and stock rear pulley with 7.97's
Do i need to the zx trans and ruckus to coast at 55mph?
Or i can i make it to 55mph before WOT with the polini vari, stock rear pulley, and 7.97's?
Complete NOOB, sorry dudes
1984 Iowa Spreedio aka "Hammy"
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-8.44:1 Gears
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-Polini Ruckus Vari w/ 6.9g weights
-669x18x30 Belt
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Alright I kept looking around and I think this is the path I'm gonna take. I figure if I'm doing this once I might as well do it right pony up. I'm going to try all the for dio stuff and sees how that works out.
1. Polini Corsa
2. Polini vari kit (ramp, boss, etc)
3. Polini 2g Eco clutch
4. Vented clutch bell
5. New belt
6. 28mm oko carb
7. Pg long pipe
8. New tire and inner tube
9. New rear brake shoes
10. Roller weights
11. 7.97 gears

The nice thing everything is bolt up so it should come together fairly quickly after I pay through the nose for everything :smile:
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

just use that s tranny.. never mind zx...
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

No ik, i'm keeping the stock rear pulley. Everything I'm getting is gonna be plug and play :smile:
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

How do you figure out what clutch springs and torque spring to use?
Dubh you said 1k torque spring earlier, does that still hold true for what I'm going to get now?
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

How much do you weigh

center springs make you can run between 1k and 1500 k rpm springs Just need to play roller grams.

dont go 2k center spring, will add more heat on belt.

Tuning may vary on elevation, where you live hot/cold, moped/scooter and rider weight.
Go get a credit card and buy parts! :mrgreen:

summer is long way. now is january.

summer will get $4.00 a gallon. :nervous:
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Yeah i hear ya on gas.
I wiegh 160lbs and the Spree without the motor wieghs roughly 60lbs. Motor wieghs roughly 20lbs IIRC
Okay ill just do the 1k, just wondering how you came up with the number

And for the clutch does it matter if i just use the springs that come on the polini clutch? Cause i know they have green,yellow, blue, etc.
The springs that come with the clutch are black
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Don't confuse the purpose and function of the center spring and the triplet springs in the clutch.

Triple Springs: Since they pull the clutch shoes to center, they fight centrifugal force that moves them outward when the assembly spins. Stronger springs hold the shoes longer as the revs rise, thus the clutch engages at a higher RPM than stock or weaker springs. This controls take-off performance, mainly, and has no effect on the "Operating RPM" once the clutch is engaged and the scooter is underway. (The Polini Adjustable uses only two springs, working in compression "Pushing" rather than "pulling" on the shoes - but the principle is the same...)

Center Spring: This provides the balance against the centrifugal force of the Variator rollers. The spring tries the force back into "Low Gear", while the rollers try to move it into "High Gear" as the assembly spins faster. Thus the Center or "Contra" spring is one of two factors that determine the Operating RPM range, AFTER the clutch engages and the scooter is underway. The Continuously Variable Transmission keeps the engine operating at or close to the RPM where it produces its best power output if everything is adjusted optimally.

To Keep Revs the Same: A stronger Contra will use heavier roller weights to achieve similar performance characteristics as a weaker Contra with lighter weights. As Oh-Eight suggested, a very thick Contra puts more stress on all the parts, and simply isn't necessary for most street builds. The performance won't be exactly the same, however. That's because a strong Contra forces more rapid belt shifts when you go off-on the throttle. Discussion exceeds the time I have to write this...

To Raise Engine Operating RPM: You can use lighter rollers in the Vario. You can also install a stronger Contra, but it's a lot more work, and you still need to start over to fine-tune with the roller weights.

To Lower Engine Operating RPM: You install heavier rollers or a softer Contra. (see above) Be careful making roller gram weight changes; It's easy to "overshoot" if you change a full 6 grams at a time - say from all 8s to all 7s. The engine can go from revving below its peak torque to revving above it.

There is One situation where the Triplets and the Contra can adversely interact:
If you have a clutch that engages at a very high RPM, and the variator is tuned with a heavy set of rollers, sometimes it's possible for the variator to begin to "shift" Before the clutch has engaged the the transmission. The result is the Dreaded Second-Gear Start.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Okay this is starting to make sense to me.

So just get the 1k contra spring and tune the vari rollers to it, then if i want a higher engagement on the clutch go looking for those triplet springs?

I figure if it isnt necessary to get the triplets then ill just run the ones that come stock on that polini
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The aftermarket clutch probably already has a higher-than-stock engagement speed, so see how it feels.
Wheelman-111
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Okay will do
Just the 1k contra it is
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt
konaking
Spree
Spree

Post by konaking »

I've got 8.44 gears, polini natural triplet springs with a 1.5k center, and 8 gram weights in my keli variator and I ride up a steep tripple lane highway on my way from work and I cruise 55 the whole way up. I would keep the 28 mm carb even though some people find the 24 more to their liking. The 28 is easy to tune and if you ever want to build a bigger motor you can use it again. The zx trans is better for wheelies and kinda kills your top end. I would change every thing at one time. The bore,pipe, carb and manifold, you will need a oil pump plug, the gears, clutch triplets and center, make sure you get a cooler plug, a pack of weights,a pack of jets,throttle cable,aftermarket fan,temp gauge. That's all I can think of off the top of my head but you will need all of that. If you skimp out on the small stuff your gonna be hurtin.
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Huh so you can cruise at 55mph with 8.44's?
I might just go with those then, i just want to be sure i dont have to go to WOT to get to 55mph
konaking wrote:. I would change every thing at one time. The bore,pipe, carb and manifold, you will need a oil pump plug, the gears, clutch triplets and center, make sure you get a cooler plug, a pack of weights,a pack of jets,throttle cable,aftermarket fan,temp gauge..
Yeah thats what im going to do, no worries.
Im going to use the polini 2g evo clutch, which has 2 shoes and two springs, fully adj. yada yada yada
Ive got the jet kits, ct mani, throttle cable, temp gauge, and a cooler plug. Oil plug, gears, center spring, bore, 28mm carb,vari, rollers, and exhuast are on the list of things to order
But aftermarket fan? I didnt even know they sold those

Where can i find one?
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt
konaking
Spree
Spree

Post by konaking »

Fans can be found wherever scooter parts can be found for 15 bucks or so. The fins on the fan are shaped with more of a scoop so they sound like a leaf blower fan. Keeps the bike cooler than the stock. I've got a koso on my bike