sb50

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

sb50

Post by scooterwerx »

this is my 89 sb50 elite e, i bought it from a hippie in austin texas for 300$, rode it around austin for a year, when my GF moved back to california, i took it completely apart and fit it into the trunk of her corolla with all of her stuff. i swapped the nb50 motor into it with a custom mount, the motor was stock with a leo vince sp3, PB carb, and ruckus variator, cruising at 45, 50+ on downhills. i put the polini kit on it last week and have been breaking it in. from short bursts of WOT, it looks like it should do 55 or so. i pieced together the oem dio front setup, and just got the rear wheel yesterday, i should have taken before and after pics, it was hammered! its mostly done now, if i find a cheap 94+ motor, thats next!
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Re: sb50

Post by toboggan »

that fork is sweet looking, looks very nice!!!
Wheelman-111

The Talented Mr. Werx

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

A most enviable ride!
90 pounds, 90 HP. :)
Does it have the Malossi 7.83:1? I'll bet the Polini takes it to 60+ if so.

In the cosmetics department, there's little to improve, but I suggest you hit the floorboards with "Back To Black" from Mother's or whomever. Does a nice job hiding the fading.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

very nice look with those rims/leo pipe combo and front disk, props
projects galore :nerd:
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Props to you looks really good.

That setup sounds pretty familiar, wait a minute I'm running pretty much the same setup :lol:

What main jet you running Werx?

You gotta add the Malossi gears, I'm not too sure how much more the stock gears can handle. I've been hitting around 45 thru the neighborhood according to the speedo, but I do weigh 270 lbs. For the time being I have to run an 8" DJ-1 wheel for the back until I can straighten out my 10" SE50 rear wheel.

The only thing asthetically I would do besides sprucing up the body panels is dump that b**** in the front. Kinda like the bakaracer has done to his.

Great work!
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

yeah, i was going to pull the forks apart and cut the springs, unless i can find shorter ones out of something that will work. the main jet is a 105, thats a drilled stock jet though, i couldnt find jets for this carb...i dont know about the gears, they kill the takeoff, and this thing is the wheelie monster, plus it feels like it revs about 1500rpm more, its definitely 5-10mph faster, havent got out the GPS yet. that floorboard....ugh
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Mines a 105 too and crazy enough I found the jet at the dealer.

I know of a site that carries these main jets as a kit if interested:

http://wayne.visualloft.com/scooter/p_i.php?i=97

I'm looking to sell my motor cuz I got FlashII sitting in the garage waiting for transplant, but plan on running the same PB carb and a Koso clutch w/1.5 spring. Should be fun :mrgreen:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Those jets in your URL do not appear to be the ones for the stock carb. I suspect they're for the PB.

However these:

http://wayne.visualloft.com/scooter/p_i.php?i=98

http://wayne.visualloft.com/scooter/p_i.php?i=99

do appear to have the correct configuration and dimensions. I have the link in WTB/Fs under "Another Source for Jets".
That said, I have not yet purchased a set and cannot confirm if they fit or not.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

aha, jiang wayne has em! thanks man! what dealership had those, and what did they come in that we got here? the parts guy was dumbfounded by tiny little PB jets, he was like "wow! ive never seen these, rabble rabble rabble"
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Palmdale Honda

There was a younger mechanic @ the counter and he was willing to dig thru his assorted Jets stash. He had a 105 and I said I would take it.

I came back a few weeks later to see if I could find more, and an old man looked @ the PB carb and asked me what it was off of. I told him a Japanese model Honda Dio and he said that its not Honda but a tiawaanese carb. We even looked it up online cuz they didnt beleive me. The only other size I could find was an 85 main.
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

what are the front forks/ disk brake setup off of?? i am sick of brake fade on my tiny drums, i need more stopping before i worry about going faster :roll:
i've been hoping to see someone on the forum who has done such a swap, so that with any luck they can indulge my request for specifics, possibly even a gratuitous pic post??? :mrgreen:
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
JVC
Noob
Noob

Post by JVC »

If you decide to sell that motor setup if you change to something bigger/better let me know, I may be interested for a spree swap.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

as soon as i can find a af16 i will let you know!
the forks are off of a JDM dio, i dont know if it is the ZX or another model, but the forks, wheel, brake caliper and master cylinder are all oem honda, the triple tree is from a metropolitan, the only difference was the bearing race, easy enough. the stopping is 1000000x better. the drum brake felt like id have better luck dragging some shoes...now it does stoppies! i didnt take pics of it all stripped down, but its easy enough, there are a few triple trees that will work, i have on with a set of forks for sale if your interested...
internetbob
Noob
Noob

Post by internetbob »

Scooterwerx, that is my EXACT same scooter (except for the tail lights) 1989 SB50. stock honda, 7410 miles on it, runs great. Can you give some info on that cusom mount you made? I want to do the same thing like you have done!! Keep up the good work!!!1
All opinions are mine own, and are usually spot on
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

i made a fixture for the motor mount, i still have it if your interested, i am also considering the dio swap, so if that goes through, i will sell this mount.