Elite E SB50 with SE50 implant

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Anerbe
Noob
Noob

Elite E SB50 with SE50 implant

Post by Anerbe »

Hello Everybody,

Never though I would do this one year ago when I started looking at this forum....

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 1_7833.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 0_7538.jpg

Picked her up when I was 10, now 17 years later and a new coat of paint/replaced panels on her, she's ready to get the juice she deserves.
Currently swapping out the sb5slow engine for the se50 engine. Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I plan to take some when I start initial mock-up.

STATUS: Old motor out, drained all liquids, carb cleaned out. Put new reeds on the SE motor, replaced a couple of bolts, etc...getting ready for mockup. I will need to pick up a couple of things, including
- 2 gaskets around the reed
- longer bolt for the SE engine mount
- rear wheel/tube/tire

Currently contemplating which way I would like to go with mounting this sucker. I see there have been many options out there, but the two main themes seem to be:
-welding
-bolting, and
-combination of the two

Intial Path - Use existing SB motor mount, relocate to the kick stand bolt on location. Once I'm able to fixate the lower mount, I'll move on to the shock mount. I'll be updating this thread as work progreses, although I have to admit, my schedule is busy!

Any insight from this forum is VERY welcome. Thanks!
89 Elite E under transformation
Paint Code - Rosso Corsa from Autometric
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Elite E SB50 with SE50 implant

Post by elitedio »

You may not need a new shock mount, if you can live with a lower seat heigth. I extended my mount about 2 inches further back and an inch lower. The net effect was that the motor unit was now much lower at the front and the same at the back . The standard shock fit. I did get a bit of fuel tank touch to the rear wheel so I raised the tank on fairly short spacers. I removed the inner fender and rear fender mount from the frame.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

i made a spacer to lengthen the stock shock, everything bolts up, i wanted to keep the plastic mudguard mostly intact.
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

and i welded a new shock mount on

see what you get...ask a simple question get 3 different answers :lol:

but on a serious note, if you relocate the stock motor mount you need to weld something to it so that when the motor torques it has something to bump against your frame and push your bike forward, other wise youll just slam the front of the motor into the botom of your seat
Anerbe
Noob
Noob

Post by Anerbe »

stock #68 vs. Polini Jet (I assume 85#)
Stock SB50 mount in original location
SB50 motor removed
New SE50 motor with BBK
CF Reed
SB50 mount attached to SE motor, Frame mount over original location. No front engine clearance to vertical frame
Closer look at clearance issue
Other side of clearance issue
Motor mount over kickstand location - clearance looks better
Closer look of motor mount over stand location
Upper clearance availability
Engine mocked up with shock attached to motor
Another look at the mockup - as a note: the SB50 bolt that connects the mount to the motor is about 1 ÔÇ£ too short. I hope to replace with an SE50 bolt, unless anybody has a good place to get such a bolt. After unbolting the stand and using a SE50 long mount bolt, this will drop the assembly about 1 ÔÇ£. Shock looks to be already 1.5ÔÇØ too low in a vertical layout without the additional 1ÔÇØ drop in proper lower mounting. Looks like people are right who recommend moving the shock mount 2ÔÇØ rearwards and 1ÔÇØ lower. Underseat plastics need to also be shaved, as it is interferes with the shock.
Shot of upper block hitting underseat plastic. Even with the expected 1ÔÇØ drop, it looks like I will need to shave this.
Picture of rear mock-up. Engine is indeed much wider!!

Now your inputs are greatly appreciated!
Has anybody used the SB50 mount? I see the comments about the positive stops to prevent the engine from hitting seat under power.
What are my shock extension options? Anybody use all bolt-on additions to make up this distance?

IÔÇÖm at the point of no return!!!!!! AAAHHHHHH!!!
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

heres my motor mount might help ya think of your way to do it (everybodys differ)

i dont seem to have any pics of my shock mount atm...but i welded a 1/4" thick 1.5"wide steel bar across the frame right in front of the gas tank
then made a angled mount for the shock and welded it to the plate

screw it ill go get some pics of it now :lol:
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

SpyderMike wrote:screw it ill go get some pics of it now :lol:
and heres the shock mount (feat. the first shock mount attempt more towards the front)

and as you see here there is hella clearance
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

When I first put my dio engine in the Elite E I too thought that I needed a longer shock or moved mounting points. It took a while to realize that it bolts together. Check it out.
Also note where I put the pivot point. The tank was moved up a half inch and the fender mount was cut off. The license plate takes it's place. Nothing touches.
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

Anerbe
Noob
Noob

Post by Anerbe »

Thanks for the great responses!

SpyderMike - Your install looks very clean! If you can manufacture another one of those mounts, I may buy one off of you! I assume you took the factory SB50 mount, and added the channel/bolt location.

EliteDio - I like that you used your factory mounting locations. Which engine mount did you use? I assume it's the factory SE50/SA50 engine mount? Your approach looks to the be a logical first step in what my application would be. I won't be using this moped in the rain/snow/mud/dirt, nor will it be used as a daily driver by any means. Main purpose - weekend boulevard cruiser around the towns (Woodward, perhaps..... :twisted: ) in excellent shape to promote the use of Mopeds.

Scooterwerx - Curious on your spacer idea. Any pictures of this?

Again, I don't plan to keep the plastics (actually it looks much cleaner, and I had to drill into my factory one to mount a tail-light, as you can see by the big hole in the mud flap (long story short, before I found a proper light assembly, a seller didn't provide parts he described. had a random tail-light from another elite, etc... that I had to mount in 15 minutes).
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

I elongated my standard eliteE mount. Used a couple of pieces of 3/4" square 16ga tubes and welded them to the sides of the sides of of the stock mount. Then added a half inch tube to go between them and a 3/8"x6" bolts to hold it together. My motor is mounted at about the location of the center stand. Mikes is very nice but not the angle I used.

I have patched the body panels in several areas removing holes and slots that I didn't want. I am not using a seat lock for instance.

Good luck with your project.
Anerbe wrote:Thanks for the great responses!

SpyderMike - Your install looks very clean! If you can manufacture another one of those mounts, I may buy one off of you! I assume you took the factory SB50 mount, and added the channel/bolt location.

EliteDio - I like that you used your factory mounting locations. Which engine mount did you use? I assume it's the factory SE50/SA50 engine mount? Your approach looks to the be a logical first step in what my application would be. I won't be using this moped in the rain/snow/mud/dirt, nor will it be used as a daily driver by any means. Main purpose - weekend boulevard cruiser around the towns (Woodward, perhaps..... :twisted: ) in excellent shape to promote the use of Mopeds.

Scooterwerx - Curious on your spacer idea. Any pictures of this?

Again, I don't plan to keep the plastics (actually it looks much cleaner, and I had to drill into my factory one to mount a tail-light, as you can see by the big hole in the mud flap (long story short, before I found a proper light assembly, a seller didn't provide parts he described. had a random tail-light from another elite, etc... that I had to mount in 15 minutes).

Anerbe
Noob
Noob

Post by Anerbe »

an initial idea for a mount. other option is to get a square channel of the same size as mount body, and install/weld a round channel pipe. Motor attachment would be location right above kickstand.

Input?
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

you can barely see the mount, i didnt really want to disassemble the whole shebang for a photo shoot! the shock spacer is a piece of steel milled to fit the clevis, and tapped on the other end so a clevis off another shock could be fastened to it, extends it about 1.25". the mount uses two urethane bushings in the front, and the stock "goose head" piece, i just cut it off of the old mount, put it in my fixture and welded it up. the best part is that the mount looks stock, like what honda should have done with the E!
Anerbe
Noob
Noob

Post by Anerbe »

swerks,

that mount looks great!

I would love to potentially get a mount made from this fixture! Any chance of sending my mount to you + $$? :lol:

Thanks!
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

I was surprised that the plastic bushings would hold up to the welding. Nice adaptator mount. and jig.
scooterwerx wrote:.... the mount uses two urethane bushings in the front, and the stock "goose head" piece, i just cut it off of the old mount, put it in my fixture and welded it up. the best part is that the mount looks stock, like what honda should have done with the E!..................

bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Any chance of making more of those mounts werx? Those look real good!