Millenium Aero

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

devenex
Elite
Elite

Re: Millenium Aero

Post by devenex »

This project still lives!!!

I finally got the motor into a machine shop last week for the broken bolt. They had to drill out the breakage and pop in a helicoil... guess it really was stuck in there.

Also crimped in the CDI and have the tank sitting full of vinegar to clean out some rust thats on the inside. I'll post some more pics when I can, but overall I'm very excited to have things moving again.

Also, I saw some mention on this forum of using a metro brake hub and front rim on an Aero. Anyone know or care to elaborate on how difficult this swap would be? I was already planning to use a rear Met rim (still need to acquire), but would love to swap the front as well.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

devenex wrote: Also, I saw some mention on this forum of using a metro brake hub and front rim on an Aero. Anyone know or care to elaborate on how difficult this swap would be? I was already planning to use a rear Met rim (still need to acquire), but would love to swap the front as well.
I am curious about this as well, i imagine it doesnt just "slip right in" or else all of the aero guys here would be doing it...
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Metro rear rims bolt right on to SE/05 or SA/16 blocks. No issues, none. The rim is a bit wider at 2.15 and is of a tubeless design. It shapes a 90/90 or 3.50 much better than stock 1.85. Some brands of 3.50 fit without issues (must deflate to install, then re-inflate), but some require shaving the case. Pirelli SL26 90/90 fit both my SE and SA blocks.

Elite post-'94 brake panels increase the Aero front brake size from 80 to 95mm, a worthwhile upgrade. The Elite front rim is still 1.85 tube-type, however. I can't recall specifically why the Metro front rim isn't a bolt-on, but I do not believe it is. If anyone has tried this I haven't seen an example. Better brakes and tubeless rims would be worth the trouble, IMHO.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bigluelok
Elite
Elite

Post by bigluelok »

holy crap why is this the first time me seeing this build. :thumbsup: looks great.
CH80
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

bigluelok wrote:holy crap why is this the first time me seeing this build. :thumbsup: looks great.
Thanks!

I've decided to give the metro front wheel a go. Not willing to swing for new prices, so hopefully I can catch some nice deals on used parts.
bigluelok
Elite
Elite

Post by bigluelok »

check totalruckus
CH80
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

bigluelok wrote:check totalruckus
Thx again! Got a couple responses by the morning after posting.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

So the Metro parts are in the mail now.

Also finished cleaning/remounting the tank today. Vinegar really did the trick, just filled the tank and left it for a couple days. drained, then flushed with a hose and rinsed with about 1/3rd tank of gas a few times (to remove the water). Inside was rust free after that, and only spent ~$3 for a gallon of vinegar!

Tomorrow I'm hoping I can get the motor put together and mounted. Maybe fire it up or ATLEAST check for spark to verify good (re)wiring.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

ARRRRRRGH!

Looks like the Elite mount does not fit the aero frame correctly. The 'neck' is too long, so the mount doesn't lay flat (this / instead of _ ). I heard someone say the '87 Elite's (I think) mount will work, but I deleted the PM a long time ago. Can anyone verify this?

UPDATE:
I used my dremel to modify the mount to fit. If I had welding skills + equipment I would have gone another/better route, but this should work for a stopgap at least.

Fitting before:

Cutting:

Adding rubber piece:

Final fit:

Have to see how it holds after some mileage, but right now it sits tight. Got the motor mounted after doing all this and then ran out of daylight.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Look what the UPS guy brought by today:

Have to give my complements to Efeezhee of totalruckus for (very) quickly handling his end of the transaction.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

Nice, look'n forward to seeing the Met wheels with wider tires on the scoot!
bigluelok
Elite
Elite

Post by bigluelok »

efeeze is a cool * dude have you seen his rucktro or metruckus
CH80
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

I poked around a little and saw some builds, not sure if any were his. Mostly just made me realize how sh*tty this build will look until I repaint LOL
bigluelok
Elite
Elite

Post by bigluelok »

lol ill find it and post a link for you.
CH80
bigluelok
Elite
Elite

Post by bigluelok »

CH80