2001 Elite S

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

kingearwig
Spree
Spree

2001 Elite S

Post by kingearwig »

So last winter I found a 2001 Elite S at my local friendly motorcycle shop that the owner just wanted to get rid of. No compression. Ends up being just the head gasket and rings. Repaired that and did some custom seat work and drove it till I messed up the gas oil mixture... When this happened I managed to break the jug because the back head bolt was rusted to the jug.
A few weeks ago I finally got around to fixing it. I bought the 66cc jug/piston/head combo from daywot
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/66cc-ENG ... arQ5fParts
Now I really needed wheels so I didn't split the case and remove that boost port material. But the gain in performance is incredible anyway.
I have a lot more pics of the build but I have to get around to organizing them.
I have lots of plans for this little piece of junk but right now I have to have it for transportation.
Immediate plans:
1 Different seat
2 belt/variator/gears
3 severe body mods I want to make it look a bit like the ruckus
Thanks for looking
Saved
Spree
Spree

Re: 2001 Elite S

Post by Saved »

lol wow.

Someone is bound to have a trunk and seat on here for you. Post in the Buy / Sell section and I'm sure you'll get bites.
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.
Wheelman-111

Elite SShrouded in Mystery

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It's not "junk" if it carries your Keister where it needs to go. I would advise caution if you plan to run it into the spring-summer months without that left half of the cooling shroud, however. Clever Honda-san engineering dictates both halves must be present to win. Are you experiencing any carb icing during those chilly rides? (Stuttering/stalling after a spell at WOT...) The shroud shoots warm air right at the carb - by design.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

You know I think I have experienced icing. but it is a rare occurrence apparently, it has only happened twice. The motor just shut down at WOT.
I am not interested in the trunk and seat as I am sure that my custom seat is much lighter. And I am convinced that without the trunk and seat that while driving down the road that my motor runs much cooler. I think that without the trunk and seat (if one avoids idling for extended periods) that the moped will run plenty cool enough not to have the fan shroud.

So I want to go faster than 38 so I am going to start at getting a new variator and a new belt, but the gearing is baffling me. What would you recommend for me for gearing?
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

kingearwig wrote:I think that without the trunk and seat (if one avoids idling for extended periods) that the moped will run plenty cool enough not to have the fan shroud.

So I want to go faster than 38 so I am going to start at getting a new variator and a new belt, but the gearing is baffling me. What would you recommend for me for gearing?
Or, you could spend the $25-30 tops on the shroud rather then gambling and ruining any mods you make to your scoot. Wheelman knows.
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

How are you going to make it look like a ruckus? Lower it? Extend the motor mount or frame?

Lookin forward to this one..
Wheelman-111

2001 Elite SShroud

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The left half of the fan shroud is shown costing $22.47 on Cowboy Honda's online lookup. Part number 19620-GZ5-030, should you choose to purchase one. If not, let us know your results? :nervous:
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

I'm sure you could find it used though.

babbittsonline.com has it for $18.xx (yay!)
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

So my guess is that that the shroud is necessary because the seat and trunk cause too much air flow restriction. I ran all last summer at 50cc's with no problem until I mixed my fuel to lean on oil. Don't think the shroud would have helped me there.
I am not reckless... I do not wish to destroy my recently invested $120. but I can't see how the shroud is necessary without all of that plastic in the way. has this been tested here? has anyone tried to run with a custom seat?

As far as making it look ruckus like... I will be getting rid of all of the rest of the plastic, install twin headlights, and I am thinking about stealing their seat design. oh and I plan on having aggressive tires on it.

So no suggestions on the rear gear? I don't need to be able to ride a wheely for 100 yards. But I am sure that I don't have as much torque as a 72cc would so if I could have some input about the gearing on a 66 cc I would greatly appreciate it.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Gearing is a tough call, but I'm voting 9:1. The swap process is well-described in Tech Docs in a couple of places. Burnt_Toast has recorded speeds of 60 using a Corsa bore. Mathematically this requires very High RPM, but evidently a well-ported cylinder can achieve them.

At 66cc, my experience with 7.83 gears is that 'tis too tall. My modestly-ported 78cc Nikasil can only fully exploit 8.4s with a stout tailwind, but did max out 9:1s.

Fan-forced air-cooled engines must manage airflow all the way around the cylinder. Engineers with lots of measuring equipment and infinite bores to sacrifice determined the design of the shrouds for best cooling effect. Eliminating the left half leaves the fan output wheezing through a wide-open gap. Trunkless operation may or may not compensate for the loss of controlled/forced airflow around the left half of your cylinder and head. You are proposing to make mods that will increase the heat output of your top end. Go topless at your peril.
Wheelman-111
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

Wheelman-111 wrote:You are proposing to make mods that will increase the heat output of your top end. Go topless at your peril.
My thoughts exactly. Someone on here is bound to have one for $10 shipped, or at least cheaper then new.
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

well topless it will be until I have a problem. I will try to get some temp readings and see how it looks. I really don't want to put the shroud on because it looks so *.
Wheelman-111 wrote:Gearing is a tough call, but I'm voting 9:1. The swap process is well-described in Tech Docs in a couple of places. Burnt_Toast has recorded speeds of 60 using a Corsa bore. Mathematically this requires very High RPM, but evidently a well-ported cylinder can achieve them.
Thanks Wheelman... exactly the information I was looking for.
I am very glad that I found this site it is a treasure trove of honda information!
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

it ain't gonna work without the shroud. the motor don't work without the shroud. don't use the motor if your not going to use the shroud. it'll blow up. and how does the plastic around it look *. it's like saying, man my car looks * with this radiator, and the brakes are pretty fancy looking too, i'm taknig them off. now im gonna drive the car.
put the fan shroud on if you got one. it's air cooling. if you don't think it would blow up, take your computer heatsink off for a while. it's made to have a heatsink, or heat dissapater on it, and watch it blow. go look up some videos, really. maybe some car without radiator videos if anyone done that. unhook the radiator, or them duralube videos with cars with no oil.
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

kingearwig wrote:I really don't want to put the shroud on because it looks so *.
Not as * compared to you walking the bike home with the motor seized solid. :P

My buddy did that with his Aero 50, and the thing soft seized 3 or 4 times on the way home, which was only 2 miles.

Let us know how it works out.
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

sanjuro wrote:Not as * compared to you walking the bike home with the motor seized solid. :P

My buddy did that with his Aero 50, and the thing soft seized 3 or 4 times on the way home, which was only 2 miles.
Words of wisdom right there. Nothing like working all day, only to find out you'll be walking home while pushing a 125lb scoot. That'll almost make a preacher cuss, friend :P
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to: