'86 Spree Stock Build, For Now.

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

zuphilius
Elite
Elite

'86 Spree Stock Build, For Now.

Post by zuphilius »

Hello all.
I'm building a stock '86 Spree I got for $50 off of C/L (Yes, I am the guy who got the $50 Spree up in Elk, WA. I was in contact with this guy since he posted the ad, he isn't much of a communicator). Went up and threw it in the back of my Mazda 323 hatch brought it home and tore it down in a couple of hours. Good news, all the plastics are in great condition, faded and one crack in the lower handlebar cover, one tab broken. Wife already picked a color out. Wire harness is perfect, gas tank is spotless inside and out, everything there except the petcock cover, battery cover, throttle slide and clutch cover (got that on Ebay already). Everything from about 8" from the ground up is in great shape. The rest....sitting in the weeds too long. Both rims have rust inside and in the brake drums, the clutch pulleys are too far gone, flywheel and stator have major rust (possible to save stator), front outer pulley rusted. The front and rear brake cables are rusted at the lower end preventing proper operation. Other than that, no problems. Trying to figure out if I want to replace parts or something else.

Anyways, great forum, been reading for a few weeks and have learned alot. I'll get some pics up soon.

Kirk in Spokane
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
Gingerbread Man
Spree
Spree

Re: '86 Spree Stock Build, For Now.

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Show some pictures.
2007 CH80
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

bike taker! jk :D
grats on the sweet deal.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Sorry, dude. I love scooters, had 2 Ruckus' down in Arizona, but always wanted older Hondas. Gonna fix this one, then look for an Elite 80. Selling my Star Wars Lego collection on Ebay to finance the next few bikes.
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Some pics.

Plastics.

Wheels and such.

Clutch.

Flywheel.

Frame and forks.

Cylinder. One scratch, can catch my nail on it.

Drivetrain.

Final drive.

Original plate and frame. Does this place still exist? Might just be able to reuse the plate.

Carb, switches, headlight and more are good to go. Just tell me what you think, I can take it. I'll be cleaning the cases as soon as I get them apart. I figure to get frame and forks together tomorrow, then work on the engine. Someone want to blast my cases before I get to reassembly? Might just clean and paint. Not sure yet.

Anyways, there she is.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

You didn't waste any time pulling that apart! Should be a fun project for you to build, keep us posted.
Wheelman-111

Spreesurrection

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Welcome, and nice (and very quick) work. Going Stock on the cylinder or will you hit up Tazland for the famous 44 or soon-to-come 48mm Big Bore Kit?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Yeah, Hinshaws still exists.

www.hinshawshonda.com

2605 Auburn Way North
Auburn, WA 98002
(253) 833-7900
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Re: Spreesurrection

Post by zuphilius »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Welcome, and nice (and very quick) work. Going Stock on the cylinder or will you hit up Tazland for the famous 44 or soon-to-come 48mm Big Bore Kit?
After looking again today, I'm thinking of getting another whole engine, the corrosion on the gears and crank shafts might cause some problems. How much are '86 spree engines going for right now? I've seen them on Ebay for about $50 not including shipping. Sound about right? Man, that and the rims are the two problems on this. Not going to give up, I've rebuilt a '69 Z50, a '68 S90 and a '78 CT90 (Plus a 1971 Schwinn Twinn).

The 44 big bore and gears seem to be the choice for speed on the stock Spree. Probably do that.

Thanks for the advice.

Kirk
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Hey Kirk,

I've got the bare engine left from a recent part out of an 86 Special Edition Spree.

LMK if interested,

Brad
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

that rust will come off, i promise. mine were in worse condition than that. it takes about 2-5 hrs per part, but its easy. "set it and forget it"
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

fightingplankton wrote:that rust will come off, i promise. mine were in worse condition than that. it takes about 2-5 hrs per part, but its easy. "set it and forget it"
Thanks for the encouragement!
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Okay, now the Gyro build is coming to a close, after I get my goodies for the carb that they sent out YESTERDAY :evil: , I was thinking of my engine choices. Do a swap (choices? Yeah I know, swap in a Dio!!) or stock engine which I need front pulley, bendix, clutch/flywheel (possibly) Cylinder bored (bad gouge) and piston/rings. Seems getting a different engine might be the way to go, as long as it has all the encoutrements attached.

Anyways, any help would be apprieciated.

Kirk
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Again, now that the Gyro is finished and I am just waiting to go to the MVD to see about getting it registered, my eyes and hands are turning to the Spree. Burnt_Toast is sending me a few parts and clean-up has commenced. I'm working on de-rusting the wheels now, using fightingplanktons idea of electrolosis (which up to now has cleaned quite a few smallish parts successfully). While the wheels are cooking, I'm going to be cleaning the engine block. Crank bearings seem to be fine with no play or grinding, so I need to get the seals and make the gaskets.

I've also decided, screw the stock cylinder, I'm going 44BBK with gears and 2.75 Kenda 329's (I had these on my Ruckus and loved them). I need this to keep up with the Gyro. I need to order a few things from Honda-San, paint the plastics and I'm good to go.

I'll keep you posted on progress.

(Now, do I get that $75 Jog for my next project? Hmmm...)