1984 Honda Gyro Build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

zuphilius
Elite
Elite

1984 Honda Gyro Build

Post by zuphilius »

Decided to put the Spree on the back burner, going to finish the Gyro first. The Gyro only needs a carb rebuild, front brake cable and tires. I tore into it today, trying to find the throttle stuck problem and the front brake cable problem, found brake cable rusted tight at the bottom, found the throttle cable is fine, the carb is so gummed up the slide will not budge, the float valve is stuck and the jet is clogged.

Here are the pics of when I got her (for prosperity's sake):

Some Pics of how she sits now:

So, it's off to find the few parts I need, then wait for them to arrive. In the meantime, time to clean.

Kirk
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1984 Honda Gyro Build

Post by odinxxix »

is that square looking thing the exhaust? i seen somewhere on the internet that somebody had a small expansion chamber on theirs might try to find it if i get around to it.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

odinxxix wrote:is that square looking thing the exhaust? i seen somewhere on the internet that somebody had a small expansion chamber on theirs might try to find it if i get around to it.
Yes it is, and in perfect shape.
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

wow!! well if it works great then why change right?! cant wait to see the final product. man you have a find as i have been tring to find one but no luck. awesome dude.!!
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

That's Gyro is in pretty good shape. It's going to clean up real nicely!
is that square looking thing the exhaust?
The 1984 Gyro muffler is odd shaped, and has some really tight 90 degree bends. Look at the 1984 Gyro with its engine cover on, its entire power train + muffler fits in the dia of the tires, it's a very compact package. The right hand wheel's axle stub has a standard outboard bearing. But the inboard is a little roller bearing similar to a piston pin bearing which goes *inside* the hollow crankshaft. So the crankshaft rotates at 8k or so rpm around the axle stub.
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Well, been cleaning things up, waiting for some cash to replace the tires, get a front brake cable and get some carb and tank gaskets. Come across the petcock, the passages for the fuel seem to be clogged. I cleaned them the best I can, but the lever for the on-off is riveted on, so I can't clean it very well.

I got the upper and lower passages cleaned out but the passage from the lever to the bowl is clogged.

Not the best pictures, but you get the idea, so, any ideas??

Yeah, I saw they still have them through Honda for $60!!
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

you could always try the standard carb cleaning tricks like boiling or soaking in gas. there may be plastic or rubber inside, so i dont think i would dip it...
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Regular old petcock, find something new. Who cares who made it..... even if you need an adapter work around it. Be creative and think about it something will work. Sorry I don't have the answer but, I have alot of faith you can come up with something. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

An Aero petcock of mine survived a few days' dip in NAPA brand bucket. Still worked. A better option might be to grind off the rivets and dismantle to clean & check for corrosion. You can re-rivet or perhaps tap some threads. Small engine repair shops might carry something you can use if the original can't be fixed.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

An Aero petcock of mine survived a few days' dip in NAPA brand bucket. Still worked. A better option might be to grind off the rivets and dismantle to clean & check for corrosion. You can re-rivet or perhaps tap some threads. Small engine repair shops might carry something you can use if the original can't be fixed.
I think I'm gonna try that tomorrow, what have I got to lose? Back to ACE for a tap.

Thanks for all the input people! :thumbwink:
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:perhaps tap some threads.
thats not a bad idea... then it would be far easier to clean out in the future if ever needed.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

You can re-rivet or perhaps tap some threads.
Success! I drilled out the rivets, and voila! The insides were so gunked up, I could have soaked it forever and it would not have come clean. So I cleaned it up, tapped the holes and it's good as new. Almost. I need the petcock lever gasket. The four holes are elongated and it's a bit stiff. I had an old Z50 gasket, it's about 1mm smaller but I think it will work. I just have to order a new one.

Now the bad news. I'm cleaning things up and I get to looking at the throttle cable/oiler cable. I move the throttle and the carb cable moves easy, the oiler cable isn't. I pull on it and I get a piece about 2" long come out of the top of the housing, rusted through!! Crap! Not available from Honda of course, nothing on Ebay (they have cable "A", but that is the main cable from the throttle tube). BUT, I knew about Dr.ATV from restoring my 1970 Honda Z50AK1, and they have this:

http://www.dratv.com/mayoowncuthc.html

So I might not be too screwed. So that's where I am, Marty is sending me a front brake cable that will work, I am ordering my tires and gaskets tonight and most likely getting a few things from Dr.ATV.

What a day.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Give me some specs on the cable and I will look. I just picked up 2 more parts scoots today. I got alot of stuff. You never know :thumbwink:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If the Gyro uses a split cable with a "transverse" 6mm cylinder end, I've got a couple from Aero and Elite models that might work. Yours for specs and an address.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Okay, ordered a bunch of parts today, gaskets and o-rings mostly, and my tires and tubes. I promised myself I wasn't going to tear this down any farther than I already have. Oops.

I figured since I won't be getting the parts for about a week, I could clean it up the rest of the way. Obviously these are before pictures...Well, back out to the garage.