1987 SE50 naked scooter project

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: 1987 SE50 naked scooter project

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The oil tank is Polyethylene. Legends have told of Forumistas successfully painting this stuff, but Conventional Wisdom says nothing but Nothing sticks for long.
I agree the look will improve if you can pull it off. Did you paint the shroud too? Pics? Good luck!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

The oil tank is Polyethylene. Legends have told of Forumistas successfully painting this stuff, but Conventional Wisdom says nothing but Nothing sticks for long.
I agree the look will improve if you can pull it off. Did you paint the shroud too? Pics? Good luck!
I had the same thinking. I don't anything normal will stick. Possibly, a black stain? Not sure what it's called but it's the liquid you use to re-color shoes with. It's been done on the Ducati board on the factory grey plastic pieces. I think heat is used somewhere along the process to improve adhesion.

Similar to this but this link is for PVC.
http://makeprojects.com/Project/Stain-P ... Like/296/1

No, I didn't paint the shroud. It was just as clean as the motor. Didn't think about painting. Like I said, I'm in riding mode not wrenching mode. It's done for now. So it'll be done in winter in the basement shop.
----
1986 NQ50d Spree Tiffany green/white - wifeys. Currently modding to get more *!
Early head, exhaust port, intake manifold, intake pod filter, 2.75 rear tire, pulley mod.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

well, there is a spray form of a product called "plastic dip" its a rubberized coating for tools...ive never known it not to stick. i use it on everything. in fact, i sprayed my entire aero80 seat foam in it because i was too lazy to recover it...i now have a foam rubber seat.
i recommend this stuff to just about everyone i know. i originally bought it to spray on the back of my fish tanks so you can see all the wires and stuff behind the tanks. the nice thing is...if you ever decide to undo it...it will all peel off in one layer. but yeh, like i said, it sticks to just about everything.

edit: i've also read of people successfully using that truck bedliner spray.

edit2: from krylon "Available in 16 colors, Krylon Fusion forms a superior bond to all types of clean, dry plastic surfaces including ABS, polypropylene, polyethylene... but ive read many articles that say this is not the case. action figure collectors hate the stuff. i read that a guy that used to work in the prop industry had SOME luck coating his project in a matte gloss clear coat first, then painting over that.
he said that the waxiness of the polyethylene makes paint just roll off, and since clear coat isnt paint, it sticks a bit better.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

That sounds too thick. I want to change color only. I found what I was thinking of. It is a dye (RIT, I think). This process should change the materials color, not coat it.

Here is a link from the Duc forum:
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index ... ic=43500.0

The covers referred here is a nylon. Not sure how well it works on polyethylene. May be something I (or someone here) will experiment with.
----
Early head, exhaust port, intake manifold, intake pod filter, 2.75 rear tire, pulley mod.
Spree<3
Spree
Spree

Post by Spree<3 »

I've used "Tireblack" on a few plastic things like this with good results. Tricky to apply since it's very thin, almost water like, but does a great job. It is a dye, so it should work.
1986 Spree
llmrcleanll
Noob
Noob

Post by llmrcleanll »

what did you all have to do for the ruckus? fork swap

any info on that would be awesome!
1989 Toyota Corolla GTS<stock
2005 Yamaha Zuma 70cc Athena sport kit, Athena Variator, 17.5mm Carb, Leo Vince Hand Made 50cc pipe

"Throw a kit on that b***h, throw a kit on that b***h"
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

The neck on the triple clamp is the same length and diameter. The only thing needed is two of the top bearings, cups and races from a Metro. You might be able to reuse the races in the Elite but I replaced them anyway. The bottom Metro race is too big. The second top race and bearing from the Metro fits the bottom of the Elite. The bearings from the Metro is caged while the Elite is loose. So that was a nice upgrade.

That was it to fit the fork. Now, you'll have to figure out your own handlebar and panels. I used a MTB stem and MTB flat bar. I used no panels or fenders.
----
llmrcleanll
Noob
Noob

Post by llmrcleanll »

TiffanySpree wrote:The neck on the triple clamp is the same length and diameter. The only thing needed is two of the top bearings, cups and races from a Metro. You might be able to reuse the races in the Elite but I replaced them anyway. The bottom Metro race is too big. The second top race and bearing from the Metro fits the bottom of the Elite. The bearings from the Metro is caged while the Elite is loose. So that was a nice upgrade.

That was it to fit the fork. Now, you'll have to figure out your own handlebar and panels. I used a MTB stem and MTB flat bar. I used no panels or fenders.
awesome
thanks for the info!
1989 Toyota Corolla GTS<stock
2005 Yamaha Zuma 70cc Athena sport kit, Athena Variator, 17.5mm Carb, Leo Vince Hand Made 50cc pipe

"Throw a kit on that b***h, throw a kit on that b***h"
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

I love the build, where did you get your MTB stem and bars? I checked fleabay and they look pretty expensive.

Thanks!
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

You can buy my bar & stem for $35 shipped.
----