My First Spree Swap (Aero NH125)

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Re: My First Spree Swap (Aero NH125)

Post by Tyler VR »

Finally some new tires, the old ones were looking pretty bad. New valve stems too and I decided they needed another paint job.

I mounted the tires myself but couldn't get the bead to pop with the air I was using. It was really because the air fillers I was trying wouldn't work without the air valve in, so air wouldn't flow as fast. I even tried a couple ratchet tie down straps around the outer circumference of the tire, at this point I was at the gas station and I ran out of quarters for the air machine so I gave up. I ended up going to my regular tire place and they popped the bead in 2 seconds with they're special air filler for free.

DeathByFox
Spree
Spree

Post by DeathByFox »

what kinf of tires are those? I ant really tell in those pictures. and what do you think of them. My nh125 needs new tires.
Bright lights put me in a dance But it aint house music makes me wanna dance
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

DeathByFox wrote:what kinf of tires are those? I ant really tell in those pictures. and what do you think of them. My nh125 needs new tires.
The tires are the brand Kenda, I had a local cycle shop order them for $35 each and it only took 1 day. They had other brands of tires that ranged up to $50 each, so the brand I bought is on the cheap side.

I've only road on them for less than 20 miles, they seem all right but I'll have to wait and see how they wear over time.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

I had the day off work so I went on a long ride out in the country side. Larch Mt road is a fun ride, but my ears kept popping because the elevation at the top is 4,061 ft. I came from the elevation of 301 ft in my small town just outside Portland. My spree took the hills very well, even more fun on the way back down the mountain.

paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

you need to do something about that exhaust
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
motormike

Post by motormike »

Great photos, thank you... :smile:
I will continue to run Vee Rubber 100/90 @ $33 each on my 125, based solely on the speed rating of 90+ mph.
I dont think Kenda is much more than 60 mph, but have not checked for myself, going on heresay.
The wear of the Vee's is not so good, having gotten the best of one on the rear in 1,200 miles.
The front shows no wear, and these Vee's have been faultless in the twisted, swervy, back roads as well as rush-hour madness. Still liking that Spree with big-gun power more than any other, esp. the way the 125 motor fits without making a hideous-looking gob hanging out the back like some stretch Gixxer... :thumbwink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

paulpauly7 wrote:you need to do something about that exhaust
I'd like to upgrade my exhaust but nothing is available for the nh125, so it will have to be custom fit. When dealing with 2 stroke expansion chamber size, it can be very sensitive on how it could effect my bottom or top end power. I've researched a bit and there's no real solid information about exhaust upgrades, mostly just forum talk.

It might not happen this year but I think I'm going to buy one of these pipes and custom fit it to the nh125. Most these pipes I've found say 90cc-125cc, A pipe made to fit a dio might be my best bet.

Here's some I've been looking at on ebay.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

motormike wrote:Great photos, thank you... :smile:
I will continue to run Vee Rubber 100/90 @ $33 each on my 125, based solely on the speed rating of 90+ mph.
I dont think Kenda is much more than 60 mph, but have not checked for myself, going on heresay.
The wear of the Vee's is not so good, having gotten the best of one on the rear in 1,200 miles.
The front shows no wear, and these Vee's have been faultless in the twisted, swervy, back roads as well as rush-hour madness. Still liking that Spree with big-gun power more than any other, esp. the way the 125 motor fits without making a hideous-looking gob hanging out the back like some stretch Gixxer... :thumbwink:
Hmmm I didn't know these tires were rated for different speeds. Hope it doesn't come apart one day when I'm at top speed.

When I first started to build this thing I was setting up the motor mount and I did have a thought of making it stretched. But then I realized that's not the route I wanted to go and I made the engine fit close to the frame mount as I could.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

They make pipes for the 125 DIO bored and stroked engines. Get one of those and modify the head pipe. I am of the opinion that the stock pipe is good to 65 mph and I have no desire to go faster than that on 10" wheels.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Bear45-70 wrote:They make pipes for the 125 DIO bored and stroked engines. Get one of those and modify the head pipe. I am of the opinion that the stock pipe is good to 65 mph and I have no desire to go faster than that on 10" wheels.
Yeah, a pipe made for a 125cc dio probably would be my best bet, price isn't that bad either. But I might benefit more from a intake/reed and large carb upgrade, so I might go that route before a pipe.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Tyler VR wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:They make pipes for the 125 DIO bored and stroked engines. Get one of those and modify the head pipe. I am of the opinion that the stock pipe is good to 65 mph and I have no desire to go faster than that on 10" wheels.
Yeah, a pipe made for a 125cc dio probably would be my best bet, price isn't that bad either. But I might benefit more from a intake/reed and large carb upgrade, so I might go that route before a pipe.
I agree. A CT intake and a 26 OKO has given 65+mph with the stock exhaust.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
motormike

Post by motormike »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Tyler VR wrote:Yeah, a pipe made for a 125cc dio probably would be my best bet, price isn't that bad either. But I might benefit more from a intake/reed and large carb upgrade, so I might go that route before a pipe.
I agree. A CT intake and a 26 OKO has given 65+mph with the stock exhaust.

In the case of Ruby, CT chrome + Bear adapter + Mikuni 24mm (flat slide) + 145 main jet = 68 mph(GPS) with stock pipe... :thumbwink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

motormike wrote:In the case of Ruby, CT chrome + Bear adapter + Mikuni 24mm (flat slide) + 145 main jet = 68 mph(GPS) with stock pipe... :thumbwink: [/i][/color][/size]
Wow, That's fast! Maybe too fast on a spree. I need to get a hold of a GPS soon, just to see how fast I'm going before I do mods.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

One of the annoying issues with swapping a big engine onto small platform is fuel consumption versus fuel tank size. The stock spree tank is 0.66 gal and the aero 125 tank is 1.8 gal.

The nh125 mpg spec is about 50-60mpg, if I'm remembering correctly. I haven't really checked my mpg, but I usually go about 20-30 miles on a spree tank of gas. The only thing that doesn't work on my spree is the fuel gauge, which I'm planning on fixing.

So I have to carry a 1 gallon gas with me, as you've seen in some of my pics. I do have concerns about upgrading my carb/intake setup effecting my mpg greatly, making this issue even more annoying. I've seen pics of one other modified spree with a large barrel type fuel cell mounted where your feet usually go. I'd like to add another tank to my spree and have come up with a couple ideas.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

I have 2 spare spree fuel tanks, so I'd add 1 extra tank to my spree frame somehow. I would plumb them together, fill the top tank and it drains down to the second tank.

My first idea on where to mount the tank was under the frame, above the engine. It would be hidden and would work with some gravity plumbing. Then I actually test fitted the tank, it's in there but leaves no room for suspension travel. It could take some work raising the shock mount and relocating a few things.