My First Spree Swap (Aero NH125)

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: My First Spree Swap (Aero NH125)

Post by Meatball »

I swapped gauges in an old Mustang I had years ago. It required removing the needles and it was easy. You can buy a needle removal tool but all the Stang Forum guys just said to use a fork so I did. It worked like a charm but the hard part was putting them back on in the perfect spot. Speedometer was easy to reinstall because it was at 0 but my gas gauge was always a little off after that..lol

I bet it wouldn't cost too much to have these printed on translucent plastic sheets so they can glow when backlit. Of course if the time and money is put into this effort, it should be done in a large quantity to distribute to others. The "High Beam" and Oil Light holes should be added and maybe fine tune the "empty" side of the fuel gauge as well. Also add a KPH line under the MPH like most vehicles have for our neighbors to the North.

Anyone have a connection to have these printed up?
Attachments
IKE_Needle_Removal.jpg
IKE_Needle_Removal.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 13563 times
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

I want to put that gas tank on my spree. Is this the one you used? How did it fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Quart-Qt-Gall ... 1393885461
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Meatball wrote:I swapped gauges in an old Mustang I had years ago. It required removing the needles and it was easy. You can buy a needle removal tool but all the Stang Forum guys just said to use a fork so I did. It worked like a charm but the hard part was putting them back on in the perfect spot. Speedometer was easy to reinstall because it was at 0 but my gas gauge was always a little off after that..lol

I bet it wouldn't cost too much to have these printed on translucent plastic sheets so they can glow when backlit. Of course if the time and money is put into this effort, it should be done in a large quantity to distribute to others. The "High Beam" and Oil Light holes should be added and maybe fine tune the "empty" side of the fuel gauge as well. Also add a KPH line under the MPH like most vehicles have for our neighbors to the North.

Anyone have a connection to have these printed up?
Thanks for the fork trick, I'll have to remember that one.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

jakubman1 wrote:I want to put that gas tank on my spree. Is this the one you used? How did it fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Quart-Qt-Gall ... 1393885461
Yeah that's pretty much the same one. It fits on the spree luggage rack pretty well, hangs off the sides enough to mount it. My original idea was to use U shaped bolts to mount it using the turn signal pipe on the rack. But I ended up just using 2 bolts on each side and a piece of aluminum that I drilled 2 holes that tightens up around the pipe.

This is the seller I bought from, looks like this one has welds around each threaded bung for all the fittings.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Fuel-T ... OSwmmxW4wl~
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

How did you hook the lines up ? Do you leave the fuel valve open all the time or close it when parked ? Any leak issues or tips? Thanks for the info:)
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

jakubman1 wrote:How did you hook the lines up ? Do you leave the fuel valve open all the time or close it when parked ? Any leak issues or tips? Thanks for the info:)

The fuel lines between the aluminum tank and stock tank are linked together with a brass T. I have a manual petcock valve on the stock tank so I usually run 1 tank at a time. Since the aluminum tank is physically higher, gas will want to flow into the stock tank if I leave the manual valve on. Not sure if it would work out with a vacuum petcock, but I was thinking a inline fuel filter might only allow fuel to flow in one direction so might add another one of those.

The gas cap leaked a little around the threads when I overfilled it once, that was a lesson learned to not top off when filling up. It's supposed to be a vented cap, but with a combination of a hot day and vibrations the gas vapers create pressure. I think they make a billet cap with a vent tube I'll probably buy.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

I bought another aero 125, it fired up but no body parts so it's going to be a engine donor to swap on a different scooter. Trying to come up with ideas for my next project...

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

pics of that gti please
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

MrJumps wrote:pics of that gti please
Sure, there's more here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... Rabbit-GTI

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

reminds me of that 82 Scirocco I had 20yrs ago..LOVED that car!
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

That car is 100% clean dude that build guide was pretty drawn out and that bee catcher is legit clean.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

I think I've found a good candidate for a swap, I bought this 87 honda aero 50 for only $60 with a title. It's in poor condition but runs, the engine is making internal noises though. It was over sprayed with wood stain by the previous owner who forgot to move it while staining his fence. I was able to rub some off with alcohol, worst case is I have to do a paint job which I might end up doing to repair all the cracked plastic.

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Sheesh, did he get any stain on the fence or did it all end up on the Aero. :shock:

Good find for $60 with papers :2thumbs:
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

60 with papers is a true steal even with a blown motor. I know the plastics are covred in resin, but it looks pretty clean.

Its a shame all the honda seats rip so much lol.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Thanks guys, I certainly can't complain for the price I paid. Got a replacement seat cover on order, going to start another build thread for this aero project.