My First Spree Swap (Aero NH125)

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Re: My First Spree Swap (Aero NH125)

Post by Tyler VR »

The next idea came to me while test fitting the first idea. Mounting the tank below the front of the seat, on top of the frame. It would be visible but not much of an eyesore. My body plastics could be notched out or cut a slot around where the tank would mount.

I would have to put a spout somewhere on the bottom of the tank, to feed the carb. Gravity could be an issue if the bottom of the tank is near level with the carb. The fuel cap vents, so it will leak fuel if the lower tank was all filled up. I would have to make a block off plate and weld it. Then I had another thought, I could cut the top section off the tank and weld a flat plate across the entire top of the tank. But that would eliminate the fuel sender also, which might work with the tank mounted at this angle.

I haven't modified anything yet, these are just thoughts and mocking the tank up.

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

The trouble with that is that with a gravity feed system, any fuel below the carb fuel nipple will not feed into the carb, thereby wasting at least half the lower tank because it is unable to get into the carb.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

BUT fuel pumps are cheap! like 20 30 dollars cheap :smile:
motormike

Post by motormike »

...I would be curious how well the Aero 125 tank fits in place of the Spree tank.
Seems easier to go bigger as opposed to adding more tanks... :werd:
Realize the seat will need addressed in that case....panels might not fit... :(
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Just use the bigger 125 seat.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Anything is possible, but there's no way I'm trying to fit an aero 125 tank onto my spree. It's 3 times bigger in capacity and size, 1.8 gal. compared to 0.6 gal. But a bigger seat would be nice... :lol:

I actually did try the 2nd tank idea and even had it running for a minute. But I was plagued by gas leaks so I gave up, at least for now. I pretty much did mostly what I previously described, plugged the gas cap hole by welding a cap over it and put a spout on the bottom side of the tank. Gas was draining from the top to the lower tank without leaks, flowing a little slow but it worked.

The sheet metal that's used to make the gas tank is thin and hard to weld, for me anyway. I'm guessing factory welds on the tank are done with a spot welder and when I welded on the tank it must have expanded/contracted from the heat. In turn, this caused leaks to spring out in some random places along the spot/seam welds. Welding more seemed just to cause more leaks, at that point JB weld was my best option and it worked for the most part. In the end, the last leak was coming from in between the threads of the bottom spout even with some plumbers tape.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Here's a video of me riding my spree fast, doing 50+ MPH for most of it. I even pop a couple sweet wheelies at the end. :lol:

http://youtu.be/GB_WmH3pC0k

:coolcruise:
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

About a week ago I was doing a safety check on my scooter and I found my front end a little loose. This has happened before so I was planning on using some loctite this time, So I went to tighten it up and I found my top collar has cracked in 3 spots. When I started to disassemble it fell apart, good thing it wasen't while I was riding. I had a spare collar but it has a hair crack all ready so I should think about ordered another to keep as a spare.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

So a couple days after I replaced the collar I went for a ride in the evening hours, as the sun was going down. Traveling along a country road about 20 miles from home I hit a huge pothole, felt like I caught some air. I immediately noticed my headlight burnt out, both high and low beam. At this point the sun was down and it was getting dark quick so I throttled down and headed home.

I didn't notice until the next day but the pothole bounced my suspension so hard the rear wheel hit my license plate and broke it off the taillight mounting. So I hopped in my car and went back to the evil pothole, I walked up and down the side of the road and found my license plate. I was relieved because it would have taken up to 30 days to get a new plate, costing me a bunch of money and ending my riding season for the year.

Everything is fixed now, I removed the stock headlight and put in an H4 bulb. I wired it so it only the high beams work when I flip the switch, no low beam/running light because I didn't want the H4 bulb to drain my battery. I got a new taillight assembly and mounted the license plate as high up as possible, also added a strip of sheet metal behind it for addition mounting support.

Broken taillight:
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

I lightened my clutch bell, it's a spare so if it doesn't work out I still have my regular one. This was covered in rust so I sandblasted it off, lots of pits in the metal. I tried to drill the holes as uniform as possible, it's not perfect but it will do.

There was originally 2 holes, now there's 8. I did a before/after weight on a good scale, it didn't drop much weight but I'll have to see how it effects the nh125.

Before: 1.840 lbs.

After: 1.710 lbs.

motormike

Post by motormike »

Like the clutch bell mod...holes appear very uniform, however I can see how this process
risks causing an un-balanced bell, but will it cause any further damage to bearings ?...IDK... :confused:
The video was good, especially those ending seconds showing some mini-wheelies...lol...my full-on Aero 125
shows no inclination of pulling the front off the road.
On the other hand, my Aero 50 walks the dog. :urban:
Keep up the posting, I'm tuned in.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

I've been thinking about upgrading the clutch springs, not sure if it's worth it but they seem affordable.
I found them on ebay, but not sure if daywot sells them anymore.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLINI-PERFORMA ... 99&vxp=mtr

I did look up the number(polini part 245.030) and found treatland sells them.
https://www.treatland.tv/polini-clutch- ... 45.030.htm
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

where in portland are you located?
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

PimpinSpree wrote:where in portland are you located?
I used to live in SE Portland when I first made this account, now I live farther east in Gresham.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

Tyler VR wrote:
PimpinSpree wrote:where in portland are you located?
I used to live in SE Portland when I first made this account, now I live farther east in Gresham.
gotcha. I just moved up to hillsboro