`87 Spree

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

`87 Spree

Post by OneBulletDan »

Upon disassembly of the carb, I noticed that there was no gasket/o ring in the float drain hole. Is it just a simple o ring, or something special? It`s hard to tell by the parts diagram just what it is.

Thanks!
We can learn much from wise words, and less from wise guys.
wilit
Goped
Goped

Re: `87 Spree

Post by wilit »

Just rebuilt my carb last month. It looked just like a regular o ring, nothing special.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Actually it is special and is designed to fit the PA series carb float bowl only. :jack: It is reusable.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

If the dog gone thing had of been there, I`d have reused it, but one of the previous owners apparently thought it wasn`t necessary!
It`s amazing how many sins those body panels can hide. The scooter looked a bit tired when I bought it, but it started on the second kick and actually idled fairly decent. The body panels were a bit scuffed, no big deal, but when I removed them, I discovered that it not only was missing the air cleaner top, but also the filter and the pipe going to the carb! No tellings how long it had been ran that way, so while chasing down parts, I figured I`d clean out the carb. Surprisingly, the carb wasn`t too bad, and the piston and cylinder weren`t scoured. Some chuckle head had stuck a car spark plug in the head that had a reach that would have allowed it to hit the piston, so they shimmed it with washers! With what I`ve seen so far, it`s a testimonial to Honda that the blasted thing ran in the first place.
After seeing this, I decided on a complete, off frame tear down. I`m going through everything, and nothing that was bolted together is now. The frame is sanded and painted, the wiring harness has been cleaned and checked for breaks and corrosion, and each part is either being cleaned and repaired or replaced.
I`m going to have a lot more time and money into this scoot than I had planned, but when I get her done, she`ll be virtually new. I`m retired, winter`s coming, and it`s a labor of love. :P
Thanks for the info, guys. I`ll post a few pics as I go.
Attachments
87 Honda Spree 004.JPG
87 Honda Spree 004.JPG (120.58 KiB) Viewed 5817 times
87 Honda Spree 003.JPG
87 Honda Spree 003.JPG (103.81 KiB) Viewed 5817 times
87 Honda Spree 052.JPG
87 Honda Spree 052.JPG (87.52 KiB) Viewed 5817 times
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

Made a little headway with the Spree. Can`t believe how nice parts look when they`re not covered in 24 years worth of grease, oil, and dirt. Finding parts for an `87 has been a bit of a nightmare, as I hear they were the shortest production run of all Sprees. Figures. Oh, well. I always was a glutton for punishment.

Found a local shop that does media blasting, so I took the rims down and got `em taken down to bare metal for a whopping $15. The little buggers looked like they`d been stored in salt water for the last ten years or so, but they`re shining now!

Slopped into a find today. A Honda dealer in Louisiana had a brand spankin` new luggage rack for just shy of $40 delivered. Still chasin` a few parts, but I`ve got nothin` but time. I plan on getting the lion`s share of it back together soon, so while I`m parts shopping, I can start my `88 SB50P project. The old brain can`t keep too many projects separate, so I like to pretty much finish up one before I start the next.

Gotta customize a `04 Metro this winter, too. No rest for the wicked.
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (84 KiB) Viewed 5779 times
014.JPG
014.JPG (70.43 KiB) Viewed 5779 times
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Looking good there :thumbwink:
motormike

Post by motormike »

Another detail freak....I'm a fan....this is looking very fine in silver....worthy of a naked build,....who needs panels ?...spend yur bucks on lights and upholstery........ :rock:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
motormike

Post by motormike »

...move this thread to builds, eh??....... :hi:
RideRed
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

Yeah, freak is the correct word! I`ve spent WAY too much time on details, but she`ll look like she rolled off the assembly line when I`m done. I`ve probably got four hours alone just polishing up nuts and bolt heads on a wire wheel. I hate to admit it, but I`ve even polished or painted the BACKSIDE of brackets that no one will ever see without disassembling the bike! If it doesn`t look like brand new OEM, it gets "the treatment".

Sorry if I started the thread in the wrong section. I`m sure the mods will move it if and when necessary. I`d like to post a few more pics as the restoration continues.
motormike

Post by motormike »

....thread started in right place, just took a turn towards build....suggestion for mods to move....keep the pix rolling....we're watching..... :hi:
RideRed
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

Made it a little farther today. Caught myself with a q-tip and WD-40 and rubbing alcohol, cleaning out the inside of the handlebar controls, so I figured it was time to start bolting it back together. Got one more parts order going out for a few items I missed, and have to finish the main plastics and work on the rear light/license plate braket. Seat cover is coming from Canada, so that`s another thing on the to do list.
Attachments
87 Honda Spree 001.JPG
87 Honda Spree 001.JPG (85.42 KiB) Viewed 5679 times
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

Really happy with the way the side cover turned out. The thing seriously looked like someone had surfed with it down a paved road. I took the heaviest grit sanding drum that Dremel makes and got rid of the deep gouges, then wire wheeled the whole thing. 100 grit next, followed by 220. Figured I`d paint it, but just had to go another step with 340 grit. Looked so good, I went to 600, and then 1500. Couldn`t bring myself to cover up six hours work with paint, so out comes the Mother`s paste.
021.JPG
021.JPG (101.46 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
Waiting for a friend that works for Gates do drop me off a belt or two. Body covers next, along with a couple of finishing touches. Don`t know if she`ll get her maiden voyage before the snow flies, but I`m hoping.
001 (4).JPG
001 (4).JPG (86.47 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

D@*M!!!! That looks very nice. Keep up the good work and pics
1984 Honda Spree White
1987 Honda Spree Blue
motormike

Post by motormike »

Very nice work Dan......cover must be .002" thinner at least..... :urban: