C70 passport chopper project

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

C70 passport chopper project

Post by Majourlittle »

I though I would let you all in on my other project. I picked up a cherry 81 c70 earlier this year and along with it came a no-title-pile. I did osme research on it and managed to get a title for the crap one. It has been sitting in my back yard for a while now, waiting to get rebuilt.

While searching the web, I came across a stunning piece of art. It inspired me to make a giant rip-off of it and call it my own. Check it out here. http://motogarage-life.com/gallery6.html

So here is my log of the build.

I started with a fully assembled bike, minus the plastic fairing. It was in terrible shape. I started to strip it down and took it to work.

Parts set on my wall of shame

No turning back now.

Swing arm cleaned of all of the silly tabs and rear foot pegs.

Todays kill

Plan is to rake and stretch out. Add a crossbar and put in a lifan 140cc. I am trying to keep this as cheap as possible, so I will be repurposing as much as I can.
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: C70 passport chopper project

Post by Mystic »

Kewl, I will be following along for sure :D I really liked that chopped passport you posted a while back it was super clean. I have been working on getting a title for mine, it is in really good condition but if I cannot sell it I will be considering modification as well :D good luck and cant wait to see what all you have planned for her :D
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Can't go wrong with a Cub. I wish I never let mine go. I like the horizontal shock! Keep us posted with lots of pics.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
lilredspree
Spree
Spree

Post by lilredspree »

The intake setup on the one you linked is killer!
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

Unfortunately, I wont be doing that intake setup.

I lack ze-skilz
lilredspree
Spree
Spree

Post by lilredspree »

.... if there's a will there's a way....
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

Well I got stuck at work again tonight, So I decided to take a few more stabs at this bike.

First thing was to clean up the inside of the fender and remove the extra material from the extended fender. I also cut the internal fender cover back some. Ill have to patch it up so that it is sealed at some point.

I cleaned up the neck attachments and started to size things up. Thankfully we have some awesome pipe stands at work.

Started mocking up the neck and measuring for the gusset that I will need to connect the neck to the structure.

Getting there

Now this is where it gets good. I took Motogarage Life's drawing and did some measurments of the angles and distances. I used the tire as a scale reference and came out with the neck to be a 25* rake at 22" long. I used the piece of scrap to check where the neck was level with the top of the gas tank, and it came out to be exactly 22". Looks like i'm spot on!

So it's time to weld it in. I built this gusset out of a piece of scrap and cut it to fit the pipe with an end mill.

Then I seamed welded the neck in. Laced it extra thick so that I could grind it out and make it blend well.

Now the neck is about three inches longer than I want it to be, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't cut too much off in the first place. That way I could change the rake if I didn't like it.

Mock up for looks.

And mock up for stance.

Image1

I will be adding a cross bar across the top like the bike that I am ripping off, but it will be a solid weld in from the top of the fuel tank area to the neck. The current dia of the neck is 2" and the cross bar will be 0.75". I don't have a pic of it being tried out, but it looks promising.
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Looking good!

:popcorn:
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Great work! :thumbsup:
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

So there was a mixup at work and basically I sent most of the guys home. In the meantime... I did a little more work.

Yea, its almost there. Gonna take it home and do the piddly crap and get it ready for sandblasting.
lilredspree
Spree
Spree

Post by lilredspree »

nice progress!
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

Just ordered a 90/90 tire for the back and a 2.5 for the front. I also picked up a set of rear turnsignal/brakelight combos for the back and some small turnsignals for the front. Ill spend this week getting the body sorted and filled before I tank it this friday. Body work and wiring to come.

I just need to save up for the 140cc motor to put in it.

Oh and for comparison...

Should be done by spring!
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

Well, I had a few mins to work on this bad boy the last few days. I decided that I didn't like the stock handlebars so I bought a set of C100 bars and gauge. I cut apart the existing mount because it was very tall and the ears were wider than the c100 mounting holes. This allowed me to drop the handlebar down as well as slide it forward.

Also started making some room for a set of spree controls. This will allow me to have a clutch lever!

Also tried out my universal light. I am not impressed. It looks too big. I think that i need a 5in dia one. Anyone have an idea of what I could use?

Started the body work. I welded up the old mirror locations as well as the turn signal light spots. I had to clear them out for the turn signals. They have built in mounts for the rear mirrors so It should work out.

tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

Looking awesome!!
keep up the great work!
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

Painting some critical parts and started assembly on the scoots. I need to get the bike mocked up now, so that I can wire it up. Not impressed with the wide tire gap I have in the rear, but until I find a suitable replacement for the stock shocks, ill have to live with it.