C70 passport chopper project

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Re: C70 passport chopper project

Post by Majourlittle »

Well, I was at work and realized that the bolt pattern is ambidextrous. I flipped it around and bolted it forward. It clears with the carb as well.
All I need now is an adapter to connect my OKO to the intake, and check to see if my throttle cable will reach with no problems.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Lurking since the beginning; this will be an interesting and useful scooter. Nice job so far.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

ALRIGHT POLL TIME!!!!

I found these lights today and I think that Ill try to make them work... Still not decided, but I like the new aspect I could develop from them. Other options, besides these lights, would be to do a traditional round light, or a rectangle fog light. Motorcycle lights are a little big for what I want to do and are not being considered at this time... The blue bulbs will be replaced with yellow, and become my turn signals.

Here it is, Post what picture number you like and why. If it is none, state what you would rather see. No negative comments to other people's opinions, please.

#1: Mooney eyes

#2: Sideways

#3: Da face

#4: Star

#5: Tucked In

Other suggestions???
gixxer1000chad
Spree
Spree

Post by gixxer1000chad »

i like #5 tucked in the best or even a single would look good imho
i bet mine is slower!!! now what??
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

I got frustrated with the lights and handlebars today. The lights were returned and the handlebars removed. More to come.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

* , why can't use oem part...
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

The handlebars were from a different model. I just didn't like how short they were and will be going back with the stock handles. The passport came with a 6v system stock, so All the lights need to be upgraded and retrofitted for a 12v system.

I also discovered that my foot peg bracket is now to small for the large engine. I just got finished painting it too... I will have to cut and lengthen it on both sides to get it to fit and be even.

I also have about 120 new electrical plugs sitting under my desk. I will tackle the wiring job as soon as I get all of the wiring items in place.
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

If you don't want to go through the hassle of extending the foot pegs, dratv.com carries them in their web store. They also carry a bunch of retrofit harnesses to make the 12v stuff compatible.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

one thing i figer out is you shood ride the bike before you ever do body work or paint !!! why ??? you may need to drill holes to run wires or cable or like you fond out make thing longer or shorter even.. but if you get it running and drive it you will find the bugs that you make by doing it and when you fix it you dont fup the body work.. i no that you have figer this out now .. i put about 50 miles on the qt50 like this and made a fue mod before i did the body work .. on mine the frame, pipe, trunk, front forks, handlebars , headlight bucket , wire and cables all got modafide .. i no the people on tv never drive the bikes before thay do the body work but thay have allot of help we never see ..
your doing grate and i like all the photo you put up so we can see what your up to and how things are going ..
thanks for that..
swimmingfree

By freeswimming at 2011-06-21
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

Nice welds, cool build!
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

Alright here is the plan. Since the old headlight is so shallow, i can tuck the old handlebars in and down. This will cover the ugly hole in the front as well as give me the right sized headlidgt and larger handlebars. It will give me the look that i want as well. I ordered another handlebar mount last night so that i can modify fresh, instead of tryinh to redo the old one. Ill use the lower plastic shroud to cover the ugly parts.
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

Well the weather was good this weekend, So I took the opportunity to knock out a few things on the chopper.

Headlight.

I had an issue at first with using the original headstock. I wanted to use the c100 handlebars because the spedo went up a little higher and they didn't have the built in headlight. After many attempts at finding a light that would work, I finally threw in the towel and went back to the headlight handlebars. Of course with the alteration in rake, I had to rake the headmount as well as drop it down to fill in a little of the gap that is present in the stock setup.

Trial fitting

Checking for angle change

I drilled out the spot welds and separated the base of the handlebar mount from the frame. I then chopped off 1/2" from the bottom and then cut the angle out of it. I reattached the base with the frame and checked it for alignment. After I was happy with it, I seam welded it together.

Compared to stock

Foot pegs.

The pegs turned out to be too short for the transmission on the 140cc lifan. The right peg curves up to allow the exhaust to run underneath it. Since I will be running my exhaust differently, I chose to eliminate this from the mount. I went to Ace Hardware and bought some bar stock of the same size. I chopped off the peg mounting cups and cut the welds holding the mounting brackets. After measuring the center lines, I jigged the brackets to my workbench and tacked the bar into place. After confirming that it was centered, I welded them in.

I made the bar about an inch longer and welded the cups into place, mimicking the 45* pitch on them. I then cut the kickstand free and welded it into place.

before

after

mounted

Wiring

I spent the better part of today splicing an elite harness, a lifan harness and the c70 harness together. I used a few plugs from an elite harness I had around as well as a the ignition and the rectifier to get the correct 12V components set up on the bike for a 12v swap. I used honda_clone group as well as dratv website to get the swap wires sorted. It took me a good part of the day to go through the entire harness, wire by wire to make sure it was all straight. After 20 or so splices, the harness is done. (or so I think).

jcrabb13
Noob
Noob

Post by jcrabb13 »

dude! it looks great!
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

HUGE SUCCESS!!!!!eleven!!!!!

I got the harness all sorted out and went to test ti ensure that it worked as required. I pulled the spark plug and ensured that I generated spark. Plugged everything up to ensure that the harness lined up where I wanted it to and to check what cabled need to be shortened. It all looks good.

Pulled my dio gas tank out and hooked up the fuel line to the carb. Found that my old elite e throttle cable fit perfectly. poured in a little gas and gave it a few cranks and she fired up!!

That's right It RUNS!

MASSIVE FAILURE!!!!!!oneone!!!!

I got the motorcycle running and went to make sure that it would shut down when the "off" switch was thrown. As soon as I did that, I managed to suffer the most excruciating shock to my gentleman's area while simultaneously flinging an open can of gas all over me. I then had to sit and watch the motor (with no exhaust of any kind) run uncontrolled until it ran out of gas.

I believe that my problem lies in that I wired my kill switch into the circuit, while also wiring the coil into it. In the passport, the off or key shorts the coil wire to the ground. In the case of the CDI on the Lifan, It only need to be shorted, which will tell the CDI to stop.

More digging into the harness to re isolate the coil and I should be ready to try again.

A shipment from Dratv arrived today which included a new headlight as well as a new horn. I may go stebel later on, but right now I got to stick with a budget.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Great story, Majour. I'm confident you'll short - er, I mean SORT - it out. Glad you're OK.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH