SpreeY-6 swap and new guy intro

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Special_K
BMX
BMX

SpreeY-6 swap and new guy intro

Post by Special_K »

Long time lurker, first time poster here..
Hey everybody, my name is Kirk and I am the owner/operator of ScootKings, we are a small repair and custom business in Annapolis MD. I am 33 and have been building scooters, cars, motorcycles, boats, golf carts and just about anything else with a motor for most of my life. I don't pretend to be a know it all and I will occasionally reach out to boards for info.
My main love in the scooter world is the Honda Ruckus. but I have a real soft spot for anything scooter. I know there are ALOT of "purists" on the board and completely expect some lash back for what I am about to say, I have swapped many Honda motors out of scooters. :twisted:
My daily driver is a stretched and swapped Ruck with the obligatory GY-6 or 157QMJ (hold your nasty Chinese remarks for someone else!)that most of us go with. And we also have a Turbo, EFI 161QML Ruck swap that we are in the final stages of.

On to the Spree:
This little spree came to me with a blown motor that had seized rings and a destroyed jug. I searched and searched for an affordable way to get it back on the road in stock form but just couldn't put together a package for under $300. So the owner gave it to me for the labor I had in to it.
Well to make this short, my wife has bugged me for years to build her a scoot for some time. So I decided to make this a b-day present for her and so the build started.
I always seem to have motors and parts bikes around so I scavenged a blown head 139QMB out of another parts bike and went to town. I welded the stock GY-6 motor hanger complete with bushings, into the spree.
Let me start the pics...
This is how she came to me, this was a stance check for the upcoming swap, please excuse my business partner Jon on the bike as all of you should know these things make you grin like a fool when you ride them.
Here it is swapped under weight. (no comments about a stupid unnamed "chopper" show on in the background)
sitting out with a test trunk on the back, not sure if I am going to use one..
Next to an 86 Riva that I converted to a modern carb setup. If anybody here has worked on a Riva you know how much of a pain in the * the original carb and associated devices are.
And here it is with a gangsta lean from a welded on side stand and a tail light mod that makes all the difference inn the world for appearance. I just made and welded a new tail bracket on and got rid of all the extra bits off the light assembly.

Body work is going on right now. I had several large holes that were cut into the bike from the previous owner that I glassed over and it now has a small molded bulge from where I had to clearance the shock. Paint is on hand and it will be a really nice Pearl White with satin white checks on the front and side plastics. I will try to get better pics up real soon.

Thanks for checking it out
K-
Special_K
BMX
BMX

Re: SpreeY-6 swap and new guy intro

Post by Special_K »

...And here is a link to ScootKing's FB page just in case anybody wants to take a look. Not that much on it right now but I try to add more when I have time.

Cheers,

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ScootKing ... 5138360984
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Welcome!

That GY6 looks really good in there! Is it a shortcase?
Special_K
BMX
BMX

Post by Special_K »

Its a 139-QMB so it is a short case 50cc for now.
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

Welcome! This is quite an active board, and you sure seem like our kinda folk; totally obsessed with scooters and other small motorized playthings. I'm glad you've moved up from "lurker" to "member".

This makes me want to complete my 139qmspree...

Looks great. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
Special_K
BMX
BMX

Post by Special_K »

Thanks SpreeTard, I have been watching your thread to see if it was progressing. Why the delay?

While the weather is nice out today I need to go get some bodywork done...
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I think it looks very clean. I am not a fan of chinese anything but good job. Lookin good. Is that a true 49cc or a 70cc 139-QMB? Most of the chinese 49cc are actually 70cc.

Nice to have you join. :coolcruise:

Taz
Special_K
BMX
BMX

Post by Special_K »

Thanks Taz,
It is a 49cc, and I have not ever run across a 139QMB that is a 70cc out of the factory in fact the name alone tips you off to the displacement, but I sure would love to find 20 extra cc's laying around if you can point me in the direction :| .
Why so down on the Chinese? You know Honda was the one that went to the Chinese for manufacturing right? Look a motor is a motor is a motor. If the Honda unit that was in the scoot was so great it would still be in it. But it didn't, the rings seized and the motor blew itself apart.
I can keep GY-6's in tune all day long, and running thousands of miles for pennies, in fact I do that for many clients around here. I have seen plenty of people talk down about Chinese bikes. Frankly not everybody can afford a Honda, so buck up and accept the masses and please don't look down on us. "Nice people" ride Chinese bikes too.

Sorry, but I said leave the Chinese comments out of my thread.
Cheers
K-
phatkix
Spree
Spree

Post by phatkix »

Sweet swap dude.
elite_dub wrote:As for you phatkix you speak as you please, I know you can't play with the big boys.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Special_K wrote:Thanks Taz,
It is a 49cc, and I have not ever run across a 139QMB that is a 70cc out of the factory in fact the name alone tips you off to the displacement, but I sure would love to find 20 extra cc's laying around if you can point me in the direction :| .
Why so down on the Chinese? You know Honda was the one that went to the Chinese for manufacturing right? Look a motor is a motor is a motor. If the Honda unit that was in the scoot was so great it would still be in it. But it didn't, the rings seized and the motor blew itself apart.
I can keep GY-6's in tune all day long, and running thousands of miles for pennies, in fact I do that for many clients around here. I have seen plenty of people talk down about Chinese bikes. Frankly not everybody can afford a Honda, so buck up and accept the masses and please don't look down on us. "Nice people" ride Chinese bikes too.

Sorry, but I said leave the Chinese comments out of my thread.
Cheers
K-
It is called "Quality Control" and the Chinese do not believe in it.

* they sent poisoned baby food to this country even though they knew it was poisoned.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

Wow, when did "not a big fan of" followed by a comment mean "go f*** yourself and your stupid cheap-* bike you poor *"???

If you knew people were going to mention that they didn't like chinese knockoffs of a japaneese motor, then why get so upset? Your skin must have been made in china and didn't come out as thick as it should have.

BTW, your swap looks good. Props.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

:lol:

Keep in mind Bear is like 70 years old dude, he'll voice his opinions and then tell you stories of his boat racing days. He doesn't mean any harm.

And majorlittle, don't know him and seems to be upset about something. Dunno :eyeroll:

I'm actually in the process of swapping a GY6 in my Ruckus, and also did my wifes. My 2¢; Hers has like 3k miles so far, still pulling like new. Just change the oil often and you're all good.

GY6 is a Honda clone afterall...
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

bradthreee wrote::lol:

Keep in mind Bear is like 70 years old dude, he'll voice his opinions and then tell you stories of his boat racing days. He doesn't mean any harm...............................................
I am over half a decade from 70 years old.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Special_K
BMX
BMX

Post by Special_K »

I have spent a long enough time lurking here to know how some members of this board react to anything Chinese so I expected the comments and told people to leave them out of my thread! This is a build thread not a vent session for opinionated *.

I have a plenty thick skin (and not made in China which I think was slightly racist) Majour, I just don't care to get in the "your is better than mine" arguments about motors. No harm no foul, just don't troll in my thread again. And thanks for the props.

Bear, I can agree that some manufacturing houses don't have the best QC. But if you know what to look for and which manufacturers to avoid you can end up with a motor that will last for years. You came in here said nothing about my build and went on a tangent about baby food. No I will politely ask you again to leave the negative comments out and stop trolling my thread unless you have something constructive to say. Because as I remember you are one of the ones I have seen doing this before. You seem to be the kind of person that should be on a Harley board instead of a scooter board with that attitude. :jack:

Brad, This is exactly why I lurked and put the warning about Chinese comments. Thanks for the support. Those of us who can pull our heads far enough out of our asses realize the GY-6 is a sweet motor when built correctly, * even the crappy ones can fly. I would love to see your Rucks, Are you on TR? Did you check out my Ruck builds on FB?

Scooter for life!... Even the Chinese ones.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Yea I'm on TR, username "3"

Haven't had a chace to see your builds on FB, can I get a link please?