SE50p build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

memberzs
Goped
Goped

SE50p build

Post by memberzs »

I figured i would start a build log on my 87 elite. Judging on some of the pictures i have seen on here i found it in excellent condition.

When i got it it was restricted to about 30 mph. I have already replaced the ramp plate, rollers, and drive pulley. I have jetted from #82 to #88 main jet. As of now i can cruise around 38-39mph, but have seen as high as 45mph on my gps, and am hoping to see more with a new intake and exhaust. The previous owner did a rather shoddy spray job on the body that I plan on redoing. I have grown fond of the black plastic though( should be grey). I would love to find a leg shield locking cubby from a 1988 or later elite rather than the pockets that are currently there but that may never happen. other than a few missing screws from the body panels(my fault) and the work out plastic rivets the body is in great condition. It runs smooth, and a bit loud since the baffles in the stock exhaust have been removed.

Things I'd like to find including what was listed above.

Locking cubby for leg shield, under cowl for behind the front wheel, oem optional front storage box or rack, led rear lights, possibly mod the head light for hid lights, 45 mph speedometer.

Paint
When im done with the upgrades that require body panels to be removed Im going to paint. Im thinking a Metallic spec red, and rhino liner spray on for all the black body work.

Picture time!

How it looks now, i got it it hada wire basket on the rear rack, that had to go and got replaced with a fuel can that give me an extra 1/2 tank.

Original grey showing from the black the PO sprayed on improperly.

Speedo, I've added almost 1k miles since i got it in december. actual miles showing.
Beansdaddy09
Goped
Goped

Re: SE50p build

Post by Beansdaddy09 »

sweet hog you got there!

i just recently bought an elite 87 50 and was hoping you could keep me posted or let me know which of your mods were the fastest easiest mods that cost the least im just looking for something to bump it up form 24mph on the inet i read that my model governs out at 25 :( :(
memberzs
Goped
Goped

Post by memberzs »

For sure you want to get a new variator. I got the performance drive pulley from vt cycles, it comes with the derestricted ramp plate. That witll give you your biggest performance increase. I went from 30 tops to cruising at 38 and top around 45. Then get a derestricted exhaust which I'm waiting to get here now. I only expect andother e-5 from it but I could be wrong. And increase your carbs main jet from #82 to #85 or #88. I've been told if getting a performance carb and intake an even larger jet is needed.

The exhaust is the easiest to change out. Its for bolts. But the vari/ ramp plate is equaly simple and cheaper it was about $50 after shipping.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

I have a locking sa50 leg shield but I don't think it will line up. PM bakaracer for the new undercowl.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
memberzs
Goped
Goped

Post by memberzs »

After doing a bit or research the bolt pattern for the se50 and sa50 legshield are different I think.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

The bolt pattern is an easy fix. I am talking about body panels. Look where the se50 front turn signal is. It looks like you woul have an inch or two of gap there. Custom fiberglass or metal worth or even 1/4 plywood. Would fill it if you could follow both contours.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Carnie
Elite
Elite

SE50p build

Post by Carnie »

That's a nice looking machine even with the small blemishes.
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
memberzs
Goped
Goped

Post by memberzs »

Thank you. I plan on fixing the blemishes.

The bolt pattern along the base looks like it wouldn't line up at all. Though id be game for making a conversion bracket for it.
memberzs
Goped
Goped

Post by memberzs »

update, leo vince sp3 exhaust should be here by wednesday, under cowl from baka should arrive monday, removing the head to shave .025" tonight. looks like a good week of improvements ahead of me.

EDIT: shaved .025 off of the head, noticeable improvement in acceleration and torque. new spark plug, and head gasket to seal the deal.
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

yup. ya got a nice looking scoot there! :thumbwink:
where'd ya get the cool extra fuel can?
memberzs
Goped
Goped

Post by memberzs »

its just a steel water bottle i got at the dollar store. the threads were crap and ended up cross threading on the third use, but there are better made ones that will work fine. Side note the would give me roughly half a tank.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

Make sure your using premium fuel now that you shaved the head. On. The spark plug,go to a 7 plug instead of the stock 6 plug. You will be running at higher rpms and now you have increased the compression.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
memberzs
Goped
Goped

Post by memberzs »

got the under cowl in from Baka, have a little trimming to do but looks good over all. Finally decided on paint and will get on that after the exhaust gets here.

evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Leaving the undercowl black? It looks pretty cool how it is.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
memberzs
Goped
Goped

Post by memberzs »

I'm thinking of going matte black all over. Possibly red for the leg shield inside a.nd foot panels