Project elite fun, my first dive into BBK land

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

steffen707
Elite
Elite

Project elite fun, my first dive into BBK land

Post by steffen707 »

Hey Guys:

Thanks for all the help over the years on this forum. I've finally gotten around to buying more parts to soup up one of my elites. I plan to document the build here over the next week or two. More details and pics to follow.

Here's a list of parts I bought, where i get them from, and how much they were shipped.

trailtech vapor gauges 752-2012 for the blaster has 14mm sparkplug CHT ring from ebay seismiccycles $116.00
oil injector plug from daywot (received in 4 days from hawaii, not bad) $25
Polini corsa bbk, (not sure if its 72cc or 68cc as sip's website states) model number P1190077R was $232
oko idle jets treatland $24
oko 10 pack needles treatland $24
oko large main jet kit treatland $24
oko 24mm treatland $69
all treatland parts cost $14 shipped and Benji upgraded the shipping for free to get it to me faster, ordred it on 7/7, got it 7/13.
pg long bought from vt cycles like 2 years ago for about $130 i think
I also bought a 28mm oko carb, ct chrome intake, crappy pod filter and new throttle cable vt cycles 2 years ago for like $100 during some sale, i plan to use the 24mm first, and then try out the 28mm.
I might dig around and find where i bought all my zx transmission stuff from, but that was also 2 years ago with a ruckus variator. I know i have to revisit the transmission and maybe get a better variator, and probably a better clutch setup.
9:1 gears I bought for about $45 2 years ago as well, might have been from Taz, but don't remember off hand.

All this arrived today, can't start until Monday though. Going to the Brewer's game tomorrow then recovering from a hangover on Sunday.
Last edited by steffen707 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Re: Project elite fun, my first dive into BBK land

Post by steffen707 »

For Some reason my pictures are hazy, not as bad as Wheelmans though, :)

You can see in the upper right hand side of the intake a piece of metal sticking out.

In my fingers is the sliver of metal that I found pinched inbetween one of the reeds and the reed cage.

Here is my o-ring accident. Make sure you lube up your oring before you hammer it in, the sharp edge on the engine casing almost perfectly cut the oring in half like a guilletine. Kinda cool. Luckily the new cycle repair shop near me had a perfect replacement.

I used 2 2x6 scraps of wood to lift up the front of the motor while I was fitting the exhaust. I should have taken more pics of the actual assembly process but I was too excited to stop and document the whole thing. :( Next build thread i'll take more pics of the process.

I'm interested to hear how loud the mighty PG LONG is.

Yes officer, Honda put all that chrome on my scooter from the factory.

Here is a view of the aluminum mount I made for the vapor. I used 4-5 washers to shim the mount above the plastic handle bar fairing, then just screwed the side mirror through the mount and 4-5 washers, use the jam nut to tighten it all down.

The wiring is kinda crappy, but I don't want to drill a hole into the nice plastic handle bar cover. I could either lengthen the connectors so they are housed under the plastics, or just live with it.
Last edited by steffen707 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If your Corsa piston measures 47mm, the math works out to 72ccs. Unless there's some Euro-only 46mm piston, that's whatcha got. Nice setup, but 9:1s won't realize the Corsa's top speed potential. Consider taller gears.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

If your Corsa piston measures 47mm, the math works out to 72ccs. Unless there's some Euro-only 46mm piston, that's whatcha got. Nice setup, but 9:1s won't realize the Corsa's top speed potential. Consider taller gears.
Thanks wheelman, I was planning to get some taller gears as well. I was going to do some researching to see if 8.44:1 would be adequate or if that would still cause issues. I thought i read about an overrevving issue? With too small of gears.

I care more about stop and go traffic than all out top speed, I think i'm going to have to experiment with several gear sets along the way to see what's right for me.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

steffen707 wrote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Thanks wheelman, I was planning to get some taller gears as well. I was going to do some researching to see if 8.44:1 would be adequate or if that would still cause issues. I thought i read about an overrevving issue? With too small of gears.

I care more about stop and go traffic than all out top speed, I think i'm going to have to experiment with several gear sets along the way to see what's right for me.
there is no such thing as over rev on a 2 stroke. the motor will rev out only what the port timing and exhaust will let it rev till. so no matter if you have the stock 12to1 gears or 8to1 gears, once you reach the max rpm of what the motor will do,the rpms will be the same. the gears only stretches out the power the motor puts out. There is also a limit on how small a gear set you can run on a setup before you loose max torque and power. Thats why I always say you have to match the parts to the setup and for what your use is.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Cool, thanks Baka.

I started putting everything together today and ran into a snag. while pounding in the oil plug, the sharp metal of the case basically cut the oring in half, I'll post a picture later. I'm guessing I should have lubed up the o-ring before i hammered the plug in? Now i gotta get a new o-ring. Anybody know what size this is, or where I can get a replacement?

For the time being is it okay for the motor to leave the oil pump in the housing, but just disconnect both lines coming and going from the oil pump? This is a band-aide fix.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

try using the o-ring from the oil pump :P and yea lube it up before you try to reinstall it
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Mystic wrote:try using the o-ring from the oil pump :P and yea lube it up before you try to reinstall it
i tried that, the inside diameters are off quite a bit.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

my next question is, do these oko carbs have a drain for the bowls, or do you have to just take the whole bowl off? I see the nipple on the front of the bowl like its the drain, but don't see a screw to let the fuel come out of here.

Also, what is the proper way to disable the power jet? Do I just unplug the fuel line to the bowl and then cap it so nothing can get into the bowl?
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

you have to unscrew the cap on the bottom of the bowl till it starts draining out, I always pull the entire carb and tip it sideways to let the gas drain out the overflow either into my gas can or into the tank instead of wasting it. and yes just take the hose off and cap the brass to disable the powerjet
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Mystic wrote:you have to unscrew the cap on the bottom of the bowl till it starts draining out, I always pull the entire carb and tip it sideways to let the gas drain out the overflow either into my gas can or into the tank instead of wasting it. and yes just take the hose off and cap the brass to disable the powerjet
Thanks mystic, gotta go buy some rubber caps tomorrow.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

put a or ballbearing or two in the tube, to block the pj
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

I don't know if everybody else that used a corsa and a pg long had to radically alter the mounting holes, but I took bakaracer's advice and once i got the BBK installed I got the exhaust lined up with the flange and tightened down the nuts so it was nice and even with the flange, then i went to hog out the mounting holes, and I needed to move them a ton. i had to use a cut-off wheel and grinding disc and cut down a ton of the mounting flange so it would clear the fan shroud.

I don't know if the corsa BBK has that much geometry change for the exhaust flange over the stock bore, or if i got a lemon pg long, but at any rate I got it modified and tomorrow I should fire it up for the first time.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

steffen707 wrote: I don't know if the corsa BBK has that much geometry change for the exhaust flange over the stock bore, or if i got a lemon pg long, but at any rate I got it modified and tomorrow I should fire it up for the first time.

It is the pipe, not the bore, that does not fit.

Every aftermarket pipe I have ever had, has required a little tweaking.
Last edited by Trafficjamz on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Trafficjamz wrote:
steffen707 wrote: I don't know if the corsa BBK has that much geometry change for the exhaust flange over the stock bore, or if i got a lemon pg long, but at any rate I got it modified and tomorrow I should fire it up for the first time.

It is the pipe not the bore that does not fit.

Every aftermarket pipe I have ever had, has required a little tweaking.
So all these aftermarket BBKs should have the same location for the exhaust flange right? I could have tested this easy enough if I threw the stock pipe on the corsa and every thing lined up.

I also caught a major problem by accident. There was a few slivers of metal just hanging on the inside of the CT chrome intake. One broke off pretty easily and could have been injested by the engine. I sanded down the rough parts and installed the intake.

I'm really digging all the bling factor of the new parts. I can't wait to get it all broken in so I can enjoy the new power.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.