Iowa Spree Lands in New Mexico

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

PolarIce
Spree
Spree

Iowa Spree Lands in New Mexico

Post by PolarIce »

Starting my project thread here.

Well... Here she is, no title, last registered in Iowa 2006.

Now I have to read up on the Iowa Spree model. Restricted exhaust right?

Has all the signs of typical neglect but I was a bit surprised to find NO spark plug.

The kick start is out of alignment or stripped, has keys, dead battery of course.

Looks like I will be cleaning and de-greasing for awhile...

1984 Honda NN50 Gyro
1986? Honda Aero 50
PolarIce=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Pola ... WAGB-11%29
Served Onboard 94-97
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Re: Iowa Spree Lands in New Mexico

Post by SuprasNsprees »

Don't worry about messing with de-restricting that pipe. Did a iowa bike for a friend and I picked up a used non-Iowa pipe up for $20. instantly gained ~5mph w/o the larger jet
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

5 mph and taking a chance on burning up the piston from too lean a fuel/air mixture, not smart modding.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

Bear45-70 wrote:5 mph and taking a chance on burning up the piston from too lean a fuel/air mixture, not smart modding.
I eventually put the jet in. Owner was anxious for a ride around the block. They're very close in size to one another

Was just saying "screw the Iowa pipe, altogether"
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

65 to 68 is only on step, but the EPA required a lean burn to start with, so one step is pushing it.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
motomech
Goped
Goped

Post by motomech »

I've never seen a Iowa Spree that was actually registered in Iowa.
Judging by the rust on the muffler, etc., it would make sense to just go ahead and replace the main bearings and seals now. Like any 2-stroke that has been stored "open"[no plug], it will only be a matter of time til the bearings go south. It only takes the smallest amount of surface rust and they are fated.
I've installed reg. Spree pipes on Iowa's and not always went up on the main jet. It's mod's on the induction side that result in dangerously lean mixtures.

A note on Iowa Sprees-
Honda required the stealerships to spray paint the underside of the seat with a dot of red paint and adjust the retail price down $100 from the normal Spree.
Of course, many didn't and just sold them as regular Sprees.

Here's a story about working on an Iowa Spree that I wrote over at Scootdawg;

"In the early '80's, Honda was practically giving away their smallest scooter, the Spree. The "Iowa" Sprees, restricted by it's muffler to meet moped laws in Iowa(they must ride a lot of scooters in Iowa, I thought to myself at the time)were only $299. This was akin to putting the proverbial potato up the exh. and combined with 7-11's finest two-stroke oil, they quickly became "loaded-up" and lethargic.
My drill was to put them on their center stand near the shop exh. fan, and bungee the throttle grip wide open. Then I could walk away from it.
As I was talking to someone, I absent mindedly stepped back and knocked the now fast reving scooter off its stand.
With a quick leap, I caught it at the same time we both arrived at the shop wall. Pulling back on the grips to minimize the impact, all I did was to loft the frt. wheel. Thinking it was a billy goat, it kept trying to climb the wall, the rear tire smoking as it left deposits of rubber at the wall base.
Eventually, I managed to hit the kill switch and let it roll back down, only to receive a round of applause from the shop personal.
It took a long time to live that one down."
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

motomech wrote:I've never seen a Iowa Spree that was actually registered in Iowa.
Judging by the rust on the muffler, etc., it would make sense to just go ahead and replace the main bearings and seals now. Like any 2-stroke that has been stored "open"[no plug], it will only be a matter of time til the bearings go south. It only takes the smallest amount of surface rust and they are fated. How does outside rust cause corrosion inside the motor? You logic is flawed on the bearing, but it could cause and issue with the cylinder, piston and rings, but only id the exhaust port is uncovered.
I've installed reg. Spree pipes on Iowa's and not always went up on the main jet. It's mod's on the induction side that result in dangerously lean mixtures. Your logic is also flawed here.

A note on Iowa Sprees-
Honda required the stealerships to spray paint the underside of the seat with a dot of red paint and adjust the retail price down $100 from the normal Spree.
Of course, many didn't and just sold them as regular Sprees.

Here's a story about working on an Iowa Spree that I wrote over at Scootdawg;

"In the early '80's, Honda was practically giving away their smallest scooter, the Spree. The "Iowa" Sprees, restricted by it's muffler to meet moped laws in Iowa(they must ride a lot of scooters in Iowa, I thought to myself at the time)were only $299. This was akin to putting the proverbial potato up the exh. and combined with 7-11's finest two-stroke oil, they quickly became "loaded-up" and lethargic.
My drill was to put them on their center stand near the shop exh. fan, and bungee the throttle grip wide open. Then I could walk away from it.
As I was talking to someone, I absent mindedly stepped back and knocked the now fast reving scooter off its stand.
With a quick leap, I caught it at the same time we both arrived at the shop wall. Pulling back on the grips to minimize the impact, all I did was to loft the frt. wheel. Thinking it was a billy goat, it kept trying to climb the wall, the rear tire smoking as it left deposits of rubber at the wall base.
Eventually, I managed to hit the kill switch and let it roll back down, only to receive a round of applause from the shop personal.
It took a long time to live that one down."
Letting an engine rev unloaded like that is about the worst thing you can do to it. If you worked for me I would have fired you as incompetent.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
PolarIce
Spree
Spree

Post by PolarIce »

Anyway.... you guys sure are getting "all excited" for my Iowa Spree. :b2t:

Let me dazzle you with some photos.

Cleaning Day!

I will have to take some "after" pics later as I'm still cleaning.

I wanted to run this next photo set past you guys for comment.

I was in "cleaning mode" and got into the belt area because it needs to be replaced and found the front sprocket nut (my term) HAND TIGHT :*:

So I took it off of course to get ready for the new drive belt and found this:

Looks to me like the weight got too close to the cover... for a few thousand miles and started rubbing.

The sprocket had 3 washers on top.

I will start looking at the manual now to see who messed this up last time. There is 1 washer on the shaft beneath the weight that looks pretty bad.

Enjoy!

EDIT: After looking at the manual the "thrust washer" is toast and I imagine it's half the width of what it is supposed to be.
1984 Honda NN50 Gyro
1986? Honda Aero 50
Served Onboard 94-97
motomech
Goped
Goped

Post by motomech »

PolarIce wrote:Anyway.... you guys sure are getting "all excited" for my Iowa Spree. :b2t:

EDIT: After looking at the manual the "thrust washer" is toast and I imagine it's half the width of what it is supposed to be.[/quote]
Anyway.... you guys sure are getting "all excited" for my Iowa Spree. :b2t:
Gee, sorry, I didn't think a little story and some info about Iowa Sprees was Hijacking your thread.

Somebody was trying to get some more top speed by removing the thrust washer and squeezing the pulley halves together, forcing the belt to ride higher.
I'm sorta guessing here, but I think that when they tightened the securing nut, it actually hit on the splines and when they ran it, the whole thing was loose and the inner sheave wobbled into the case.
Then they added the washers so the nut would actually tighten.
Have you checked for any play on the crank bearings? Any felt movement is too much.
You really should think about replacing the bearings and seal at this point anyhow, especially since you are almost there.
It's common knowledge among tuners and engine builders that when a 2-stroke engine sits with the spark plug out, the bearings are at risk. What happens is, as likely as not, the piston stopped at BTDC and the transfer ports are uncovered. That leaves a direct open path to the crankcase where condensation occures. Seen it over and over during the 40 plus years I worked as a mechanic.
But it's your call.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

motomech wrote:
PolarIce wrote:Anyway.... you guys sure are getting "all excited" for my Iowa Spree. :b2t:

Gee, sorry, I didn't think a little story and some info about Iowa Sprees was Hijacking your thread.
Somebody was trying to get some more top speed by removing the thrust washer and squeezing the pulley halves together, forcing the belt to ride higher.
I'm sorta guessing here, but I think that when they tightened the securing nut, it actually hit on the splines and when they ran it, the whole thing was loose and the inner sheave wobbled into the case.
Have you checked for any play on the crank bearings? Any felt movement is too much.
You really should think about replacing the bearings and seal at this point anyhow, especially since you are almost there.
It's common knowledge among tuners and engine builders that when a 2-stroke engine sits with the spark plug out, the bearings are at risk. BS, I worked marine2 strokes and you are totally full of crap on this.What happens is, as likely as not, the piston stopped at BTDC and the transfer ports are uncovered. That is contrary to physics, the piston stop on the way to TDC as the compression increases. What planet did you learn on? That leaves a direct open path to the crankcase where condensation occures. Seen it over and over during the 40 plus years I worked as a mechanic. Get the ports are usually closed and if you disassemble and engine you would know this. What 40 years of BS customers about what you don't know?
But it's your call.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
PolarIce
Spree
Spree

Post by PolarIce »

motomech wrote:
It's common knowledge among tuners and engine builders that when a 2-stroke engine sits with the spark plug out, the bearings are at risk. What happens is, as likely as not, the piston stopped at BTDC and the transfer ports are uncovered. That leaves a direct open path to the crankcase where condensation occures. Seen it over and over during the 40 plus years I worked as a mechanic.
But it's your call.
The thrust washer is there however it is now whittled down to almost nothing. I will need to order another one although I'm curious to know how THICK a thrust washer is? cause it's going to need to be a few MM's to keep it from rubbing.

Otherwise the crank bearings are fine - no movement.
1984 Honda NN50 Gyro
1986? Honda Aero 50
Served Onboard 94-97
PolarIce
Spree
Spree

Post by PolarIce »

Officially confused now.

In the pic below. The RED arrow depicts the spot where I found what I thought to be the thrust washer.

The GREEN arrow is where the new thrust washer (ordered Honda part) sits and obviously is not right because the drive face sits too high and covers up half the "teeth" on the shaft there.

The BLUE arrow is what I am trying to avoid where the drive face rubs against the case.

What am I missing here? Doesn't the thrust washer keep the drive face off of the case?

The next pic shows what I thought was the thrust washer next to the new honda part listed as the thrust washer 12mm.

I am using CheapCycleParts as a reference here.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_ye ... drive-face

Any assistance is appreciated. :coolcruise:
1984 Honda NN50 Gyro
1986? Honda Aero 50
Served Onboard 94-97