Noob with an '85 Gyro

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Noob with an '85 Gyro

Post by swflcarl »

Going to get into this tomorrow.... know a few of you out there have done some kicka$$ Gyro builds. Hoping to get a good result based using the information of the other gyro-head posts here (lots of good information).

Anyways... this is how I found her:

Yea... the $50 Aero sitting next to the Gyro makes the $100 purchase look bad. You will notice a 2T China rig in there too. No hating... it was in a nearby garage (left for dead) for the last 5 years - mine for FREE. Have worked on it for a few days and runs good (off of my limited skills). It has a Yamaha clone motor with 300 miles - I really enjoy doing the simple stuff like blocking and tackling and most machines come right back to life.

Looks as if I am missing the engine cover on the Gyro and who knows what else. Lets see what the next few weeks / months will bring.

Happy New Year.... :newb:
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
motormike

Re: Noob with an '85 Gyro

Post by motormike »

Greetings Sir Carl:
and Magnifico score once again ! !....... :2thumbs:
Depending on your choice to restore or customize, I have many of the obvious parts your's is minus.... :naughty:
Especially that front signal bar, and those are a b_ _ ch to get off without destroying....(spot-welds).... :confused:
Shoot me a pm with a want list 'cause when you ask "do you have a___", my answer is probably gonna be yes.
Rock-on and welcome to the rank of "Trikester Recruit"
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Just an update.... disassembled. Lots of pictures and labeled sandwich bags will give me a better than 50/50 chance of getting this thing back together.

Frame After Disassembly:

Frame After Too Many Days With The Wire Wheel:

Frame After Prime and Some Wet Sanding:

Frame After Paint and Clear:

This is going to be a slow process... as this Gyro is roached. Only 1400 miles - but it has well over 10,000 nights outside and million miles of neglect.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
motormike

Post by motormike »

Very good start carl.... :thumbwink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

The one I found was under an oak tree in the California hills for about 12 years. Just out there, all alone, waiting for someone to pull it back from the edge of the cliff. The engine in mine was seized up solid and full of all sorts of vegetable compost, and the switches and controls were damp and corroded and filthy. Like you, I took it apart and cleaned it. And cleaned it. And cleaned it. I ended up buying a new piston set from Tazland and getting the cylinder bored out to 44, opening up the carb jet a bit, and a few other mods, and the little beauty runs again. Like every Honda scooter I've ever fooled with, the machine is sound and strong and very nicely finished. Looks like something a bunch of screwy engineers put together on a long weekend, and thanks to Honda for letting them play.
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Okay... its not that bad - but a ton of rust. The engine spins and appears to be free with some compression. Thinking I should have got it running prior to disassembly - but too late for that one.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

hope to see all your going to do to the old girl ...
nice work so far and as for doing the work of getting it running first ..
we all have done things like that before so dont kick your self to hard :naughty:
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

You definately have the scooter fever!
89 Elite E
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Hey Pete... how is my friend from the east coast?

Been slowly working on the gryo... lets see what this weekend brings.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

Nice work on the Gyro .
But the light holder is more of a flat black and the frame is gloss .
I noticed you didn't remove the plate on the forks ,its just the 2 bolts holding it .I was just wondering if you were going total stock ?
Hope you take more pics of the progress .
Attachments
I made some  foot pegs  because  it feels like the stock ones vibrate too much and  they tickle my feet ,with these  my feet ride flat and no vibration and they don't tickle .
I made some foot pegs because it feels like the stock ones vibrate too much and they tickle my feet ,with these my feet ride flat and no vibration and they don't tickle .
100_9653.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 13144 times
Front forks  &amp; spoke wheels from a Express
Front forks & spoke wheels from a Express
100_1937.jpg (55.07 KiB) Viewed 13144 times
Light holder off for painting .
Light holder off for painting .
100_9358.jpg (53.77 KiB) Viewed 13144 times
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Mark of the Beast.... am very impressed with your work. I read a lot of your posts prior to starting. Not sure why I left the ape hanger plate and mounts on. Like the looks of the gray gloss. Not going for the stock look on the frame. I know the signal holders should be black and that they are bent - but they are equally bent and I didn't mind the look when she was sitting in her rusty glory. Sure it might change when done.

Going to paint the plastics black like original. Who knows how it will end up? Just working a hour here and there. Worked on cleaning the motor area a bit. Cleaned / dunked the carb (outside and in). Painted all the rusted to h-ll brackets for the cables. New oil soaked UNI filter flat stock in the box. Reeds looked good - took a moment to squirt some two cycle down there and hand spin the crank a bit. The throttle cable from the lever is froze up - to the dual link oil / gas (figures I just threw out the SA50P cable I had left over when I destricked - think it would of worked). It appears to be froze as it comes into the box - might try some pent. oil and brute force this weekend - after I disassemble it from the slide connector.

I will need your advice along the way - and thanks for the kind words thus far.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Some updated pictures...

66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

Darn Now I am going to have to paint some of my wheels bright yellow .
Now that I see how good it looks .
It really sets the bike off .
What color is it and what brand of paint ....Looks good ...
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Thanks Six (I think - if you aren't BS-ing me)... bought the yellow with the intent to paint the rusty rear suspension shock spring. After cleaning... it was hard to tape off the spring itself unassembled - so the shock was painted all gloss black along with the ends.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/enginePaint/

DE1642 - Daytona Yellow

Dupli-Color has been on sale for the last month at Advance Auto - $5 in lieu of $8. I like it for the metal.

This yellow goes great with black... so I took a chance with it for the wheels - I am really pleased with it - just is a great compliment.

I tried to paint with Krylon on my first plastic - and I hate it. Going to get some plastic primer and Rustolem for plastics today. Gas tank is currently being pickled (vinegar) for the next 3+ days. Just need to shorten my new throttle cable and paint the plastics and should be close to give it a go.

My headlight casing is broken where it attaches and need to figure that out too... like the looks of a round light. Do you have any experience that you would like to share? The front bottom floor board is cracked on the side... will post some pictures.
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Some assembly today...