Flash 6: Deepinnaharta Freeway Cruiser

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Flash 6: Deepinnaharta Freeway Cruiser

Post by Trafficjamz »

I noticed you have two temp gauges. I have some questions.

Which gauge is hooked up to the exhaust flange?

Is the other one under the spark plug or is it attached to the head another way?

How close are the reading between the two?

Why did the vdo gauge quit at the end of the video?
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
PolarIce
Spree
Spree

Post by PolarIce »

paulpauly7 wrote:nice video and legs lol :D :peace: :woot: :D
It's the socks and sandals that has me worried. I don't think you can pull that off until you reach your 50's.

Just teasing WM!
1984 Honda NN50 Gyro
1986? Honda Aero 50
PolarIce=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Pola ... WAGB-11%29
Served Onboard 94-97
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

Thats not a bad as crocs and socks. Ive been caught many times on youtube pulling that stunt when I forgot the whole world can see. Fashion and projects dont mix around my house, as matter of fact I rarely remember to eat and or drink unless I brought food with me to the shop.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Way, Waaayyy past 50 I'm sorry to say.
The VDO sensor is dodgy - too many man-handlings - but for the record it's hooked up to an exhaust flange bolt for no good reason at all except to keep the wire from dangling on a hot pipe.
The Trail-Tech sender is under the spark plug.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

I bet it took over 15min to get to that temp? do the heat cycles without the fan and shroud and turn the idle up to 2900rpm. then use a deck fan to cool the motor down faster. that way you dont spend half the day doing heat cycles.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Heat cycles (with shroud...) concluded, and a few errand rides besides. Since the Hour Meter indicated "1" , I've done a few short sorties to WOT. The variator was left with M'Arn weights, which keeps the RPMs down around 8800, but it still got up to 54MPH within about a tenth of a mile. Max temp that time was 354. This was with the V8 Pipe, and I'm not sure if this exhaust can support much more than 9000 RPM - anyone know better?

Anyway, the next step will be to lighten the Vario load a little. If I get my shock extender or my Japan Tail assembly, I'll try the Simioni out again.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

v8 can rev to 10200. no power after that. with the v8 I have.
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thanks Bak.
Wheelman-111
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

9800 would be more the rpm that pipe peaks power out at.
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Sorry this is Pic-Less for now. I received my Japanese-Style Kymco tail lamp from VT and figured it'd take about an hour to install. I figured wrong.

There's more dismantling involved than you might think. All the rear plastics must come off. You have to lift the gas tank a little to get at the nuts retaining the fender/lamp assembly to the frame. A lot of planning is involved so you don't cut a wire too short to crimp on spade connectors. Also the Kymco kit evidently has a common Ground line to the three lamps. If you plug power into the wrong spade connector, you have to figure out that you blew your Main fuse off the battery, remove that fuse, throw it into the very full kitchen trash bag, then realize you have no idea what Amp rating you need, go to the dumpster to retrieve your kitchen trash bag, fend off local possums, and carefully empty said bag full of coffee grounds and cat litter to find the fuse is a 10 Amp. Then you have to go to O'Reilly's and buy a little box of them in case you screw up again.

Once installed, the license plate options on the two holes in the fender mean you have to deface your Texas tag to get the holes about 1 inch closer together.

I did manage to break the rear tab on my side skirt, but here's some good news: I was able to weld it back on using a heat gun! Warmed both broken bits until it just looks like it's about to liquefy, then put the ends together and Hold REAL Still. Seems strong enough to hold itself up, anyway.

I used the occasion to clean up a little. The combination lamp looks pretty sleek under the frame, but I kinda liked the stock setup... Now Flash looks like every other modded scooter. I really don't need the high-mounted tail lamp, but don't want to give up the rack for errand purposes as well as a place to grab the scooter to lift it over curbs. I'll snap a few pics maybe next week. All of this is to permit the Simioni pipe to mount without fouling the turn signals. It darn well better perform...
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The purpose of this is to document the clearance afforded by the Japan-style tail assembly for the Simioni Chamber pipe. Glare off the Texas licence plate forced drastic measures in Wheel-"Photography".
F6JTailNaked.jpg
F6JTailNaked.jpg (115.39 KiB) Viewed 5633 times
So it sure opens up some room back there. Nothing hits even at full shock compression, but I have a short shock extender coming for insurance. The look back there grew on me a bit. Time to bolt up the plastic...
F6JTailDone.jpg
F6JTailDone.jpg (121 KiB) Viewed 5633 times
Well, the Polyethylene weld trick (on the side skirt) didn't even survive assembly. Fixed with a metal tang, bolted through the plastic, to mount on the hole in the rear fender. The holes in the Kymco tail lamp don't line up well with those of the red Elite panels, but the shapes and the rack dowels don't really need much more support.

I no longer need the rack to hold the tail-lamp, but it's handy to grab for lifting over curbs and such. Also practical if I need to haul a Tuba. Still, those grab handles sure look cooler. Ghostie, do you still have a source for those?

Simioni testing follows tonight, weather permitting. Hope it's worth all the trouble. Oh, someone asked me the size of the Sim header; it's 28.6mm.
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Baka-san got me to thinking about the taller gearing and where the Theoretical top speed is going. I have concluded that while it's possible to adjust the variator performance to keep the engine ringing at its power peak, taller gears incur greater losses at the one place where power can be converted to Heat and Belt Dust - the Variator.

I'd been running this OKO +1200 spring for over a year now, and concluded it's lost its Spunk. Enter DayWOT, who sells a set of two Polini contra springs for an affordable price.
ContraSprings1200.1500.2000.jpg
ContraSprings1200.1500.2000.jpg (104.74 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
The silver one on the left is the OKO. Much thinner gauge steel, but see how much longer it is than the Polinis? The white one measured an average of 4.28 and the Blue is 4.34mm. I have seen pics of the Carnage caused by cracked rear pulleys due to the stress of the stronger Contra springs. Mine's a Kymco ZX item and its welds look bulletproof, but I'm not willing to risk it for now.

The white (+1500) spring installed raised my RPMs at WOT about 400 (with the same 33-gram weight load) but still it wouldn't rev past 83-8500 when cracked open. I'm sure the MHR has more than that in it, and either the Vario load is still to heavy or the Simioni chamber won't let it rev higher. I'll drop a few more grams tonight and give it another test. (Oh, and then I'll reduce the weight of the rollers in the variator...) :)
Wheelman-111
kauaikai
BMX
BMX

Post by kauaikai »

have you tried a OKO28?
sym dd50
corsa scorp
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yeah, the thought has crossed my mind that the 24 might be the limiting factor. I gained several MPH switching to a 26 on Flash 5 Corsa, so you may have a point. I did have a 28 and found it too fussy to tune in the wildly-fluctuating ambient temperatures here in Deepinnaharta. 26 was a good compromise, and got me over 70 MPH. That's fast enough.
Wheelman-111
kauaikai
BMX
BMX

Post by kauaikai »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Yeah, the thought has crossed my mind that the 24 might be the limiting factor. I gained several MPH switching to a 26 on Flash 5 Corsa, so you may have a point. I did have a 28 and found it too fussy to tune in the wildly-fluctuating ambient temperatures here in Deepinnaharta. 26 was a good compromise, and got me over 70 MPH. That's fast enough.
yah i had a 24 then i slap a 28 and the scorpion and it started to wheelie. was 70mph with da 26 on your corsa? was that a mini stroke or stoke crank? and hows that stuffer crank you have on now?
sym dd50
corsa scorp