Bought a 1985 Spree with a swapped in AF05e

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

RonPike45
Noob
Noob

Bought a 1985 Spree with a swapped in AF05e

Post by RonPike45 »

Hello all, new member from the Pacific Northwest.

I brought this lil baby home last night and it is an excellent example and looks new. I found it on Craigslist like most items. Just an fyi, I bought an 85 Spree with a blown motor 1990 for $50. I fixed the motor and sold it for a profit. 27 years later I am 48 years old and bought my second Spree. It even came with the original Honda key and owners manual.

With the AF05e swap, I can hit 42 mph with my 245 lb butt riding it. Just think if I lost 60 pounds, it would be even faster ;)

Here is the mod info I got from the previous owner, who owned it for 3 years.

Motor
AF05e from an 87' Honda Elite S.

Transmission
These motors had two gear ratio options: 11:1 and 10.2:1...Yours is fitted with the much more rare 10.2:1 for higher top speeds. Gear case was filled with full-synthetic about 400mi ago.

Carburetor
Stock Honda "Keihin" carb. Came stock on the SE50 Honda Elite motor. Recently cleaned and replaced all gaskets and float needle. Main Jet has been upjetted from stock #82 to either an #87 or #90, cant remember exactly. This was done to accommodate the addition of the UNI pod filter. It keeps motor temps in the "safe" zone while allowing it to rev out at wot. This motor was tuned with reliability in mind.

Belt/Pullies/Variator
The belt is a stock Honda "Bando" belt. It was replaced about 200mi ago.
The Variator (front pulley) is KOSO brand for better acceleration over stock and the ramp plate is a Honda "US2" plate sourced from a 1985 Honda NB50 Aero (also rare and regarded as the best ramp angle for top speed.)

Exhaust
Stock, unrestricted-type from an 87' SE50. Obvious from the bulge in the down pipe.

Rear Shock
Rear shock is stock from an 87' Elite SE50. The shock mount location has been moved forward to achieve the correct angle needed after motor swap. The relocation tab used can be seen here: https://scooterswapshop.com/products/sss-shock-tab-kit

Wheels/Tires
Front wheel is a stock Spree type. It has an inner tube It is fitted with a Shinko SR560 80/90/10 tire (largest possible fit between forks)

Rear wheel is from a 2006 Honda Metropolitan. These wheels are commonly used on Spree/Elites to take advantage of their tubeless capabilities. Therefore, your rear tire is tubeless. Fitted with a Shinko SR560 90/90/10. Again, largest possible to fit.
Both tires were new about 300mi ago.

Kickstand
I only mention this because it was an expensive add-on. The motor swap on the Spree comes at a price, and that price is losing the ability to use the stock Spree center stand. It basically renders its mount point un-usable. The solution is a quite pricey KITACO side stand. Many people try to cobble together their own stand to avoid the high cost of this one but none of them work (or look) as good as this one.

Floormat
The Spree Rubber Floormat supply had dried up 25 years ago. Just recently a fellow scooter forum member out of Missouri began reproducing them. I purchased one from him.

Glovebox
A truly rare item. The only ones for sale on Ebay are "completed items" and none currently for sale. One sold for $85 and the other for $90. Neither one of those is as nice as yours. Dull finish, missing stickers, etc.

Air Filter
UNI pod filter UP-4112AST. It has been flow-restricted with caveman engineering. Looks shade-tree but performs excellent.

Here are the pics I took before unloading it from my truck. Click a pic to enlarge it.

Last edited by RonPike45 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1985 Spree with a AF05E swap
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Re: Bought a 1985 Spree with a swapped in AF05e

Post by Jonadz »

That bike... Exact bike.... Is fairly known around these parts! I've wheelied it lol. Keep her safe and make
Sure if you part with it you get ahold of me!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Oh I think we all know who's old bike that is. Very very sweet purchase. Take care of it, it came from someone who worked hard at making it run so well.
RonPike45
Noob
Noob

Post by RonPike45 »

Yeah, it runs awesome. I plan to keep it for a long time :) I'll be reading past posts here on the forums to see if there are any other mods I can do to it. I have bought a lock and cable to help secure it when running errands.

I will be looking into adding a windshield and a little trunk.
1985 Spree with a AF05E swap