My first scooter, White 86 Aero

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

nateberrier
Spree
Spree

My first scooter, White 86 Aero

Post by nateberrier »

I didn't really have much interest in scoots, but my wife said I should get a new hobby (I think she regrets it now lmao), and my friends have been peer pressuring me into getting a motorcycle.

Im not sure the wife thought I would get it running, or would lose interest before it got finished, but I have kinda become obsessed.

I think a lot of scoots are pretty ugly but I saw a white aero on facebook for 300 bucks. I couldnt find any other aeros, so I figured that was probably an okay price. Guy said it hadnt really been ridden since 88-89 or so. Bought it for his kids and then eventually wanted to fix it up for the grandkids now, but couldnt figure out how to get it moving. Im not 100% sure of his actions, but he did tell me that a local kid would ride it around town all the time and the shop where he worked at. Would throw it around on the ground and generally not appreciate it. So far as I can tell, old man didnt really either.

This is basically how I got it. dead battery, flat rear tire, no hint of starting, but sounded like compression on kick.

At this point I had basic knowledge of how a carburetor works, but not really been up close with one since my 86 chevette in highschool and that was mostly banging on it to get the float bowl unstuck and feathering the throttle on cold days haha.

Guy told me it did run recently, and they put a chinese carb on it. Definitely has a chinese carb, but did not run.
As far as I can tell, its an SA50 type chinese choo choo
Taking the gas inlet hose off, i found that the carb was full of some nasty gunk. like someone stuffed play dough in it. I dont think I have pics of that.

After cleaning the carb like 5 times, I was able to get it to sputter to life a few times, but not much beyond that.

I had also discovered that the previous owner cut the battery box to put the wrong size battery in. Yay.
I grabbed a new 4lb battery from O Reilly and IT FIRED RIGHT UP.

I think the choke portion of the carb might be gunked up still as it runs like crap when cold, but itll clear up as you go down the road. I honestly havent taken it off since I got the thing running solid.

Running good is great, but what good does that do if you cant ride it?
I bought some tire spoons.
I also had a new air compressor, but told myself I would wait till I get a good reason to buy an impact, well here we go.

I had some photos of the mess under the tire, Ill try to find them. I hate putting tires and tubes on. Ive popped a few, and its probably my least favorite activity.

Will add more later today
1986 Aero White -- Stock With Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af05 Malossi BBK + Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: My first scooter, White 86 Aero

Post by Meatball »

I love reading these. Alot of times these gems are left for dead till they crumble. Seeing them saved and resurrected is a thing of beauty. Bravo!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Okay, so I said I wanted to contribute and Imma keep my promise.

Here's the photo of me finding out why it sucks to change a tire on one of these things. The rear tire was basically the thing keeping me from my first ride, though this is a pic of the front tire change. Peep the unceremoniously spray painted tire.

At some point in there I also got a new seat because I only had the pan from the original. The guy did the weirdest half axx stuff and just left it. Pulled the foam and cover off, bought a cover and then left it. I still have the cover, but I decided the new seat was fine and looks cool. We have a really nice salvage shop here in town and the guy has a bunch of aero parts.

Below is the picture of the first time this thing moved under its own power in probably 30 years. My first time ever riding anything 2 wheeled with power of its own. I was pretty over the moon despite it looking like a turd and being pretty slow. 20 mph is fast when youve never ridden anything but a bicycle though.

IT RUNS. IF MF RUNS.

But she slow and she dont really go.
I knew the belt was going to be important. if the belt has never been changed, its OLD. Also it probably is worn down. It made me nervous even riding around the block with it, but when i opened the case, it wasnt bad really. worn thin, but not in danger of breaking.

The drive face needed a little clean up for sure, I sanded that down a bit to get the rust off.

Variator looks like its seen some abuse, most of them ive seen look like this though.

Dreaded grease muck, mmm

Yep, worn like i thought

Googlied around and found out that the stock weight is ~10g for the aero and ordered some of those. Cleaning the grease out and adding the new belt added some speed.

Put in some new ebay rollers and it added more speed still. Fun to see the little reward with each change.

Some big nite rider vibes.

After this, at some point I grabbed a KELI variator from vtcycles/fast2wheels and it made a big difference. No more flat spot in speed at 25mph. Were doing 45mph at a pretty linear accel, climbing steep hills and overall I was over the moon with mr. scooty.

Going to break up posts a little but more to add
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

My wife gets tired of random scooter crap showing up at the house i think, but this was shortly after I picked up two aeros. SO naturally i have to order more stuff right?

New belt and front tire for my running red aero.
Metro rear tire from a user on here. brand new 90/90 on it for the white scoot to get a little more top end.

Some said the 90/90 doesnt fit but it will on the 86+. I think on the 85s it probably hits the kick, but dunno. It was tough to get it past the exhaust mount but it goes on and helps top speed a little. Definitely helps on the bumps.

Panels on this thing were not super great. Initially I was really bummed out about it, but later found out that it doesnt matter so much when youre rolling and having a good time. Also youll ruin your bank account trying to put it back to 100% factory.

Very grimy and nasty and scratched up after years and years of neglect. Theres random spraypaint on certain spots too :(

I like car detailing and I had a 3inch back plate I wanted to try and sure enough it did pretty good work with a few easy passes!

I took videos of the other parts so i cant show them, but you get the gist, very shiney

THeres a couple pictures of it finished in my other thread for the red aero, but yeah I mostly let the wife ride this one as it gives her the chance to look Red White and Blue, which she digs as an immigrant.

Basically so far its been, new tires, new tubes, new belt, new variator, new seat, new fuel hoses, and about ~300 miles.

Doesnt seem like that much, but its been a lot to figure out from knowing nothing about scoots.
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Another post.

My buddy and I found a 200 dollar Elite SR for sale in rural indy. We knew that it ran and had pretty good plastics on it. He wanted the plastics and I wanted pretty much everything else.

We drove out and got the thing, it ran like crap, but it ran and that was good enough. Last weekend we started tearing it down. Af16 Aero is a go!

We pulled the exhaust off so I could get the thing a little cleaner before loading it in the car. Its a restricted exhaust, weird....

We hit it with a christmas tree bit and a dremel to widen it back out. I dont plan on using it long, but it should be good for testing.

I decided to take everything he didnt want. The front brake plate and wheel will be nice to have, Maybe I can do a met wheel swap for the front too someday.

Ignition and throttle cable and brake cables because why not. Also I have a parts aero that I think is now gonna end up as a 3rd running aero but thats another post.

I read a bunch of stuff on the aero swaps from facebook and here and whatnot. I think most people were swapping into 85s because this 86 was a breeze.

The mounts were the same, almost identical to the af05 on the 86. It bolted right on.

Wiring wasnt hard, we were going to scavenge a plug from the parts aero, but its an 85 and turns out it uses press connectors not a molex (i knew this, i pulled a motor from my other 85 to do the bore kit, but forgot) and decided to chop the moles on the 86 motor. I figured if we have press connectors on the 85 and the 86 motor goes on , we wont be able to use the molex anyway. YOLO.

We depinned the connector from the af16. Red and green wires are for the starter, these plugged into the molex on the 86 and i tied/taped them into place.
The other three I soldered the plug back onto

Stock af16 shock went onto the aero also as i think the one on the aero is a little blown out, its very bouncy sometimes.

I pulled the cvt case on the af16 also. I cannot stress how heehawed some of these bikes have been.

Stock boss is cut, and not cut well. The driven face wobbles...

Variator is aftermarket, with a kymco stamped plate on it. Im going to roll with it for a while and see if its worth a s***. it looks a bit like my keli variator... it doesnt have a back on it and the ramp guides are longer than the face.

Belt was pretty chewed up. I have a kevlar and oem coming in the mail. The rear pulley is a little rusty so maybe the kevlar can clean that for me :P

Kicker is not great, it doesnt return for me well when trying to kick start it. We know this because we tried to kick the crap out of it to get it started after swapping.

Starter is dead, but new one is in today so maybe thatll give her the chooch she needs for a first breath.

Friend has gifted me a new boss. Right now I just want it to run. I think I sucked some air into the oil pump so hopefully thats not all messed up. Premixed the first tank 50:1 just in case.

Cleaned the carb out and it has a 78 jet so it should be pretty much a stock sr, guessing the restricted pipe was just to get rid of the bike. Someone probably had more mods on the thing but tossed that crud pipe on to get it out the door.

NCY pipe from SSS is in the mail so that should give it some extra pep. If anyone has a ball park on jetting that would be cool. Brandon said 95 but i think thats obviously too rich and I dont wanna do 200 plug chops if possible.

Goal for this week is to get it running, burn off the premix tank, verify that the pump is pumping still and see that its worth putting the pipe on
motormike

Post by motormike »

:coolcruise: ....................kool.... :hi:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
birdman
Spree
Spree

Post by birdman »

:popcorn:
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

New Update:

Replaced the starter, but it still doesnt engage 100% of the time. The bendix will pop out like its supposed to after a little greasing, but it seems like it doesnt always catch? I dunno how they work inside 100%, but I am pretty sure its the issue. If anyone has one for an AF16 that would be cool.

I got the scoot riding around, it rumbles a lot so I think maybe the tongue on the mount is a little high. Might have to use the 86 Aero mount.

I got a stock var and boss from a friend, I used the other variator plate and some random weights, between probably 7-10g .

Also ordered a kevlar belt by mistake, but its the right size or seems to be. The bike is running, but its a dog. it goes like 15 -20 and adding the 10g weights helped a little but its definitely not running correctly. The bike also has a stiffer aftermarket contra, so im betting thats the culprit. New KELI variator with SEF plate is in the mail.

My order from Scooter Swap Shop came in over the weekend, so I have an NCY pipe and fresh honda oem belt to go along. I want to change out the contra but im a little afraid of getting smacked in the face with a clutch too.

Goal for tonight, if I have time, is to change the belt and variator and see if that helps it being a complete dog. If no, then Ill put the pipe on and go from there. Not sure where to start on jetting, someone said just do 95 and work down, but if someone has a ballpark or has used the NCY pipe and can let me know if 95 is wayyy to high, thatd be cool.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I scored a Metro front wheel. Have the brake plate from the Elite we parted out. Going to attempt an 80/90 front tire on the front of the aero. Then it will be completely tubeless, bigger brakes, and AF16 with a pipe when finished
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Who is ready for another quality post? OH YEAH, ITS YOU :coolcruise: :coolcruise: :coolcruise:

Just kidding, this might be boring.

I've been a little busy and trying to sneak in stuff so that we can at least ride these things before it gets cold. I felt a little guilty taking a clean running af05 off to put a crusty af16 with unknown problems under it.

I was excited about the mount bolting right up, but I think the tongue is making contact metal to metal and causing excessive vibration. Im also concerned it might be too tall. I dunno.

I set out to dremel the tongue so it doesnt make contact, but other stuff got in the way. Im still torn, I might just put the af05 mount on it and know that itll work.

I was certain that the contra was too stiff and thats why the bike was running so slow. I changed the pulley/clutch pack to one from my old af05. (I cannot get that nut loose for shid). IT STILL RUNS LIKE DOODY *. Everything has been done. I drilled out the exhaust, I cleaned the carb, new belt, keli variator, stock boss. Why only 15MPH.

At this point I said screw it, maybe that exhaust is a turd, so Im going to go ahead and put the NCY Pipe on and put in an 88 jet just to be safe. STILL. TURDY. OMFG.

When changing the exhaust I remember thinking it was looking dooked up but not super bad. I mean maybe 1-2mm of carbon, but surely not enough to kill THIS much power.

WRONNNNG. I didnt get pictures of 100% before I started picking at it, but man.

The outlet was almost completely covered, the rest of the manifold was bad but not as bad. I started using solder picks to chip it out. I pulled the piston up so it wouldnt fall into the chamber and went to town. In between spraying carb cleaner and using the air nozzle to blow s*** out. Its probably still not 100% but i was afraid of scratching the piston. I dont think it will hurt now, but final cleaning might just be a bbk idk. might try seafoam soak too.

This motor has like 4000 miles on it. It had an S pipe with a washer, so my guess is that its been running a 78 jet and a restricted pipe and just building shid up for a long time.

Oh yeah i bumped my discarded fluids bottle and got it on the exhaust and floor immediately, cool.

Mr Scooty ran 100% better with the exhaust cleaned up. Its still not 100%. Dunno if I need to tune the cvt. Its running 7g weights and a keli, It will eventually get to 40mph but takes a while after 30. Not 100% if the can is doing its job or if the exhaust is still restricted. Maybe the weights need lowered with the pipe, and im sure its still running rich. Opinions and suggestions always welcome.
sum_azn_kid
Goped
Goped

Post by sum_azn_kid »

80/90-10 tire is no problem on a metro front wheel. I used to run those unit I found 90/65-10 I needed my drifter friend to use a cheeta/bead blaster on that tire... your aero looks awsome. I always wanted one.
Super Dio ZX "Ube"
72 corsa
sum_azn_kid
Goped
Goped

Post by sum_azn_kid »

231105_436299719752396_1657357206_n_zpsebb731fd.jpg
231105_436299719752396_1657357206_n_zpsebb731fd.jpg (36.88 KiB) Viewed 11729 times
309155_441654055883629_936834556_n.jpg
309155_441654055883629_936834556_n.jpg (112.46 KiB) Viewed 11729 times
80/90-10 IRC on honda metro front wheel. The ruckus rear wheel would look nice with a 90/90 tore too.
DSCF5029.jpg
DSCF5029.jpg (49.35 KiB) Viewed 11729 times
Super Dio ZX "Ube"
72 corsa
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

I wanted to share a quick update for anyone curious. I ended up putting the stock AF05e on this bike as it runs really strong. I believe the final drive has some noise coming from it, but itll do 40+ and I havent had any trouble with it.

The NCY Pipe is way too big for a stock AF16 and I didnt see much benefit from it. I did put about 60 miles on it, but it would take forever to get to 35+. The crank seal is also no bueno, so I think Im just going to tear it down and do a bbk and ebay exhaust for a mild build