Cdn Dio - Polini Contessa BBK build

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

DeanP
Spree
Spree

Re: Cdn Dio - Polini Contessa BBK build

Post by DeanP »

Got the rest of my intake system from G9 today! Yea! Only one problem, scoot is packed away for the winter! lol
In the mean time, I'll be squirrelling away parts until spring to get ready to finish my build.
Got a Polini 23mm carb w/choke, Polini filter, Naraku intake and throttle cable.

Going to get an exhaust, front forks and rear shock/spring before spring hits.

I have a question again (lol); what does one of those aftermarket 3 shoe clutch have over my stock 3 shoe clutch?
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

So spring is finally upon us here in the Great White North! Took the scoot out of storage, started her up and heat cycled a half dozen times.
Installed my Polini CP 23mm carb, Naraku intake, Polini air filter, throttle cable, choke cable and PG Long exhaust.

Had a few problems, but will get them resolved soon as follows:

1) The PG Long exhaust will need some spacers and shorter bolts at the frame attachment point.
2) I'm having a tough time keeping the carb on the Naraku intake; seems that the adapter is a bit small and I can't get it "all the way home". I took the scoot for a short jaunt down the road and the carb popped off. (thought I blew her up!) sheesh! The carb intake port measures 28mm while the intake boot measures 25mm; takes a bit of effort just to get it partially in.

Gonna need some main jets/pilot jets, so I'll be hitting G9 up for them.
The trans will need some tuning also, so I'll pick up a spring(s) for that.

Didn't know exactly where to mount the choke cable, so I attached it to the rear rake bolt. Where does everyone else attach theirs to?
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

graphite9 wrote:Dean I might have an adapter for that 23mm. I run the choke on one of the rear top trans 8mm bolts. Its perfect.
I'm gonna try to get it seated home this afternoon. If I still have trouble, I'll call on you.
I'll look into the trans bolts for the choke cable: good idea.

Appears that I have a 102mj in it right now. I'll take out the pj later today to see what size that is...
I'm thinking that the 102mj will be good as RipCity is running something close to that on his build.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Yeah my 102 seems best right now I might try moving the clip but as far as temps go the 102 works for me. I have a lot of hills around so it help keep the temps down on those pulls if it were flatter Id run a 100 but I travel up a long hill that is quite long and that's really the only I've seen it go above 380 with the 100. I know it's not super 380 isn't high but I'm trying keep my max temps around 375. I'm interested to see what you run also for your trans setup and rollers as I am still tweaking my rollers
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Went out this afternoon and completed a couple of odd things: tightened exhaust pipe with some spacers. Checked my pj which was a 34.
I got the carb boot on further, but just as I was finishing up with everything else, I noticed that sucker moved again. Darn it!!
I did manage to go around the neighborhood a bit. It was fun! I noticed that my powerband was about 6000rpm. Definitely boggy below that. Thinking a contra spring will help with that. Thoughts?

I did repaint all of the plastics this spring. Orange is the color of the year! Ha! Ha!
Some photos of the carb boot problem area, exhaust and overall scoot.
Attachments
rh side overall 2.jpg
rh side overall 2.jpg (238.13 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
exhaust pipe.jpg
exhaust pipe.jpg (58.96 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
carb close up 3.jpg
carb close up 3.jpg (53.03 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

A few more...
Attachments
lh side overall.jpg
lh side overall.jpg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
frontal rh side.jpg
frontal rh side.jpg (69.51 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
carb close up.jpg
carb close up.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I have a longer hose from the carb to the intake. Big enough to fit two hose clamps. I agree Id go with a yellow contra. Mine was garbage until I put that in and it tied it all together.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

graphite9 wrote:You need an adapter for that 23mm. Thats a killer carb, just a tad tricrier to fit.. I have them. Bike looks awesome! A malossi yellow rear should be a big help.
Ok. Let me know how much for the adapter so that we get it in the mail.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Rip_City_Spree wrote:I have a longer hose from the carb to the intake. Big enough to fit two hose clamps. I agree Id go with a yellow contra. Mine was garbage until I put that in and it tied it all together.
Are you using a Nara intake or a CT?
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I'm using a ct for now. It was a leaky * until I went in and sealed it up with honda bond. Your intake to carb is a different set up than mine. Not sure what G9 is talking about when he says adaptor but it sure doesn't look like you have enough room to slide the carb side in far enough.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Well G9 plunked the adapter into the mail today, so I should be cookin' with gas by the end of next week. (hopefully!)

How will I know if my pilot jet is too small/big?
Right now I've had to turn the mixture needle out about 2.5 turns to get the best and fastest idle. Then I turned the idle down to be stable at about 1900rpm.
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

You want your air fuel screw to be inbetween 1-2 turns out so you need to get your pilot to let you do so. Just go down 1 jet at a time until your somewhere in that range with a good idle and tight response on the throttle.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

So when I turn it out, is it riching or leaning? I'll assume that when I turn it out, I'm leaning it so then I should down jet my PJ?

EDIT: I did some You Tube watching and I found this video very informative:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y836ZPjvoMI
Last edited by DeanP on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Are you using the cp carb?
There's 2 styles for a/f mixture screws. If the air fuel mixture screw is before,close to air filter, the throttle slide screwing it in makes it rich, if the screw is after,close to the intake screwing it in makes it leaner.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

1man8scoots wrote:Are you using the cp carb?
There's 2 styles for a/f mixture screws. If the air fuel mixture screw is before,close to air filter, the throttle slide screwing it in makes it rich, if the screw is after,close to the intake screwing it in makes it leaner.
Yep, CP carb. Screw before inlet. So I guess because I turned it out more than 2 turns, I'll have to down jet. Its a 34 now, so I'll try a 32 next.
That YouTube video I posted above cleared up some other questions I would have had. I'm sure I'll have others though! Ha Ha!