I need help with Spree piston rings

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

blaketots
Noob
Noob

I need help with Spree piston rings

Post by blaketots »

Hey folks how ya doin,

I picked up a Spree a few months ago and I've been trying to do right by it but life just keeps throwing me lemons!!!

LSS: sent cylinder, NOS .25 piston and NOS rings to a machinist to get fitted, only for one of the rings to return broken. Those NOS rings were expensive and the last pair I've seen on the internet. 13012-GJ5-305

Now, I know the SA50 up to 93 has the same bore size as the Spree (41MM) and OS rings are readily available. Could I possibly use those? (13012-GS7-305)

Looking for insight, looking for knowledge. If anyone has any other solutions that don't include buying Niche products, I would appreciate your time.

Tyler
bonesv

Re: I need help with Spree piston rings

Post by bonesv »

Hopefully someone will read your post with that experience. :urban: You could acquire a set of those af05 O.S. rings and compare them to the broken ones you have. Best of luck with that! :thumbwink:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
blaketots
Noob
Noob

Post by blaketots »

Alright, so the compression rings in these sets are the exact same but the wiper in GS7 is about .013 inch larger than the wiper in GJ5. Which is just enough of a difference for it to not fit in the ring slot on this Spree piston and my wiper is what is broken.

Could I use the second compression ring in place of the wiper, so long I place the taper downward? Or would that create loads of back pressure?

Tyler
blaketots
Noob
Noob

Post by blaketots »

Or could I get the .50 overs and widdle them down?