01 Elite SR "GOOCH"

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

DeanP
Spree
Spree

Re: 01 Elite SR "GOOCH"

Post by DeanP »

Couple of questions for ya:
what rpm are you turning at max speed?
what type of spark plug are you running?

I'm asking cause when I went to lighter rollers, it spun to 9550 vice 8500 and was much more spunkier and got to 80kmh faster.. I'm also going to change to a colder plug to see if it changes anything...
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

thinking most of my power is around high 8K and low 9K right now. granted im realizing that I might need to go to a red contra as I dont think the yellow is working out. but * at this point I am not sure about anything. I dont think the mix of 5.5g and 6g rollers are getting me into "high" gear at the right time. but when I was hitting high 50s my rpms were high 8K but I am pretty sure something wasnt right as I rarely saw my rpms increase back up after the initial drop. when I would punch it WOT I get about mid 9k rpms then it drops down to into 8K range but it never felt like it would start to pull back up like I think it should if any of my understanding of how the cvt should work is correct. so I dont think I was ever really engaging my high gear fully. possible causes bad belt, contra isnt strong enough or my rollers are to light. so now that I got a new belt on I can rule that one out and I have an older red contra that G9 gave me awhile back that is used with unknown miles I might throw it in just to see. but I am pretty certain my rollers are a bit light right now and will start working my way to heavier rollers. I rode it into work today and found that I accelerate straight to 40-45 I will get the chugging but if I kinda get to about 35 and slowly work passed those speeds I can get go faster than 45. I am gonna pull my rollers and look for flat spots also as they have gotten a bit of use. one of these days I will get it over to G9s and let him take it for a ride and get his opinion on it as I obviously am missing something.

as for my plug I am running a NGK 8

@Johnny one thing I dont do is hold up traffic thankfully. even out of tune this thing still hauls * my goal is to just get it so I am able to pull up the hills I need to without any issues and go like * light to light. its close right now(or it was) but the new belt changed things I think and the only other thing I havent tried yet is a red contra. I still have some throttle lag.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

The yellow contra by malossi should be good but doesn't sound like it is, I think your real disadvantage is the exhaust. I run a pg short on a stock cylinder and block because it's perfect for the 8-9k range. It really sounds like your contra can't hold up, rollers or not it should hit high rpms. Higher than 9k for sure on a corsa.
I know the pg is cheap and that's why people use them but you have expect cheap performance out of them.
You could port your cylinder to the moon but if your exhaust isn't up for it you won't ever see those numbers, but you will see the heat.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Try dropping your roller weight to get it to spin faster at max speed. My contessa runs 9550rpm at max speed. Yours should be at least that.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Hey were you able to do any adjusting yet? At what rpm is your clutch engaging? <just curious.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Yeah G9 I know been super busy and been trying to figure it out. But I'm about ready to head your way. I'll hit you up this week. And no I haven't touched it for a couple days.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

[/quote]bring that bike over and we will have it dialed in one evening, guaranteed. I have a scorpion you can toss on, or come over and borrow it if you'd like. you don't need a red spring. Im running a yellow, with 6g rollers and its a monster.[/quote]
Looking fwd to hearing the results! :popcorn:
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

me too Dean. things are bit busy this week so I am gonna keep working on it till I can get over and get his insight. I am going to try going heavier with my rollers just for fun and see what happens. gonna through in 6.5g and 6g and see where it gets me.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Have you ever had lighter rollers in before? Try going down before up as I had good results going down some weight...
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Yeah I've had all 5.5g in at one point. Got high revs but was having issues on hills with it changing gears at the wrong time. Haven't got anything lighter at the moment. G9s buddy is running almost identical setups with 6g all around so I am gonna play around and see how it affects it if nothing else but my own knowledge. Currently it was feeling like it didn't have the weight to get the belt into high gear with the new belt. I'm going to have to get some new rollers soon so I am just gonna keep messing with these as it takes me 10 mins to swap em out. I did notice one of the rollers was slightly lighter than the others so I put that one aside. I don't think it was enough to affect anything but who knows.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Temporarily lost my keys yesterday so I didn't drive it. Found keys and drove it home.. Going heavier seemed to make it worse. Less peppy from a stop. Ok to 3/4 feels a little hesitant in upper speeds though. WOT was a mess at one point from a stop I opened up and got nothing but hesitation other times WOT it would die at 35mph and 45mph. Would haul * to 35 then fall on its face repeatedly. Guess I'll try lighter tomorrow.

At 3/4 throttle I got it up to 54mph
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (131.48 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Trial and error, trial and error! Sucks with so many trials though!
Just placed an order for a new shock for the rear...patiently waiting for delivery.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Beginning to think its not my cvt but the carb at this point. Put in all 5.5g rollers and same thing at 45 at WOT it dies on me. He's what's been in my head for a bit but haven't tried yet. I think I'm lean on my needle though it's clip is in the middle and rich on my MJ. not sure if that's possible. Symptoms idles great at 17-1800 1/4-3/4 seem to be starving for fuel holding throttle steady at 40 mph at half throttle it wants to die like it's not getting enough fuel. It hangs up a bit idling down from speed. Temps get high if I only use 3/4 throttle to pull hills.

My solution or I hope clip down on needle and go down on MJ could be off on this but that's my next move.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Beginning to think its not my cvt but the carb at this point. Put in all 5.5g rollers and same thing at 45 at WOT it dies on me. He's what's been in my head for a bit but haven't tried yet. I think I'm lean on my needle though it's clip is in the middle and rich on my MJ. not sure if that's possible. Symptoms idles great at 17-1800 1/4-3/4 seem to be starving for fuel holding throttle steady at 40 mph at half throttle it wants to die like it's not getting enough fuel. It hangs up a bit idling down from speed. Temps get high if I only use 3/4 throttle to pull hills.

My solution or I hope clip down on needle and go down on MJ could be off on this but that's my next move.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
1man8scoots