01 Honda Elite- ZX headset swap, disk brake, DIO FUN

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Re: Too many build threads- 01 Honda Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

Few months back there were two 88 Honda elites for sale at a local auction. One with 300 miles and the other 650. My buddy picked up the one with 300 miles. Last night I rode over there and let him use my battery to get it running. After cleansing the carb she fired right up. The stock af05 rips to 42mph. It's aot of fun, and show room condition. Makes me really want white plastics :naughty: :naughty:
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

GUYS what's the SECRECT to swapping clutch springs?! I like to thing I'm a pretty strong guy. I assumed man handling it with a pair of needle nose vice would do it, I couldn't get the blue springs or the yellow springs on. Still stuck with the greens that pretty much fall into place.

What am I doing wrong? Or am I just incredibly weak?
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Use an awl.
To remove the springs go from the inside of the clutch with the awl at the longer arm of the spring and hook it under the part you can see and rotate the awl under the spring and into its hole. It should pop out after the 1st or 5 th try.
To install them hook the long end of the spring into the non recessed part of the clutch shoe and be sure it's seated. Take the awl and hook the J of short side of the spring with your awl. Then rotate the awl, with the J wrapped around it, and sink the pointy end into the hole you are going for with the J under tension from the awl. Then rotate or pivot the awl in a manner that the spring slides down and into the hole. It may take a few tries. Strength is not the key, it's persuasive movements that will get it into the hole. It will usually catch on the lip of the shoe and I just use the handle end of the awl to hammer it lightly into the hole.
I can probably take a video and send it to your phone if you find it still complicated. I have good faith you will get it but I'm here to help if need be.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

I do this every day. Alex has been to the shop I work at.
I have no clue what happened to your post but maybe you didn't hit submit?
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

^ Shut Up Troll. Every post you make is stupid nonsense rambling we don't need that crap here.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

bigwheeler32 wrote:no i done it last night. and then i gave more steps today becuase i realized last night i didnt really give steps. and you made a post last night and some reason editted it today.. all just coincidences im all sure. you need me for help 1m8s then pay me since i am wrong.
You're such a cool guy. I'm finding it hard to believe your posts are just disappearing. Maybe it's in your head. In real life I work for the largest by volume dealership in North america. That's the facts jack.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

I did a couple videos of doing a delta clutch and sent them to him last night. I have confidence he can do it.
Xxbeejay45xx
Elite
Elite

Post by Xxbeejay45xx »

Mr 1man can you also send me a video too please?
95 Elite SR af16e
72cc Polini Corsa
28 Oko Carb 58/144
Ported intake
ZX Trans
Polini vari, clutch, springs
5.5 rollers
Malossi crank , CDI
Genuine Arrow pipe
Front and Rear disc brakes
Dio Live headset
Stretch and fatty rear wheel
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

Getting the blue springs on with the awl was super easy!! I maxed them out and now I have a wicked take off. I bumped my weights up a bit too. Now I'm all 5g installed. Might go 3 5.6g to see if I can bring the rpms down a hair. I also thing I need to upjet from a 110 to a 112 as it breaks up at the really high rpms
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

It's probably too rich if it's breaking up. Does it feel choppy and gurgle? Or moan and die out?
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

it chops up when it starts to get really up there. no loss of power.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Choppy is generally too rich.
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

ill update this too haha

i was getting pretty confident in my wheelie abilities with this thing, then i flipped it over backwards at 20-25mph and took it straight to my knees. yum. the headset is trashed. jdm tail is super scuffed up. not much of a good looking bike anymore :| i installed a zx kit i picked up from Ben L and the bottom end picked up considerably. its still a turd though. i need to do more jetting.

im not super ambitious to work on the elite since it bucked me off ha. im gonna do the disk brake swap and get my zx wheels on here by the end of the winter. i may pick up a stretch from G9 to keep this front wheel on the ground. but it will probably never look as good again. :sad:
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

What color is it? Or what color are you wanting to get? I need another engine and misc stuff so I might be picking up another purple elite. I won't need the plastics.
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

i need purple. they stopped making the headset which i need. my sides are okayish but id like a set of mint ones.