01 Elite SR "GOOCH"

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 01 Elite SR "GOOCH"

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I did have to add a couple washers as the side mount bolts(stock) are too long I just found some shorter bolts for that wonder if maybe that little bit was torqueing it just enough that a hard hit was enough to tweak it just right. it is what is now and I hope that the weld I got on it will be strong enough. now my problem is compression is about 40-50 psi with the gaskets that were there. they both looked really good but who knows. so Ill get another set and get the new gaskets on.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I welded the stem in and we shall see. Waiting on new gaskets from G9 to come in then I'll put it back together. I did do I test fit of the pg and only bolted the side mount bolts down to see if there is any tweeting happening and it does turn out there is some gap in the bottom half of the exhaust port. Not sure if this would bee bough to do this kinda damage but I will fix it and get a nice connection and hope my welds hold.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.41 KiB) Viewed 5903 times
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

update. well I spent some time today putting the cylinder and head back on with new gaskets. I also did some eyeballing of the exhaust port/exhaust connection. I welded the exhaust stud back in and its holding for now. I know this isnt going to last very long at all so I am working on some other ideas and thanks to Johnny248 who had a buddy have a similar issue I have an idea to hopefully get a better fix for a longer term stop gap. though eventually Ill probably buy another BBK and do my best not to do this again. but anyway. finally got it fire after some work and got it idle though very rough and it didnt sound good at all. I wanted to see if there was any leakage out the exhaust and sure enough there was some blow by out the bottom so I think I will need to modify the support flange on the pipe and try to get a better connection. I did notice while I was playing around with it with the cooling shrouds on that I dont have much room to play with. as the pipe as it sits now is barely clearing the front bottom corner of the shrouds. so I got some work to do on it once it cools down enough to handle. I also noticed there is alot of smoke coming out the pipe even with a 32 pj in it but it atleast ran so thats promising.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Rip_City_Spree wrote:the scoot has been out of commission for a week or so I determined my fuel petcock was shot so I picked up a used one from G9 that was sitting around and got it working so I will be retuning so I can get to riding again. I do believe that alot of my recent tuning issues can be traced back to the shot petcock. so today I will be putting my scoot back together and hopefully riding today. been itching to ride and not riding for almost 2 weeks sucks.
what was wrong with the petcock?
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

It was constant flow to carb.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Rip_City_Spree wrote:It was constant flow to carb.
I think mine does the same thing, which I'm not sure if it is a problem or not since the float shuts off fuel, but it definitely makes it more work to change jets. I vice grip the fuel line.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Yeah I was talking with 1man about it and he said to fix it as it was not getting the correct fuel amount. And I know he'll be spot on about it once I get it back on the road. I was having crazy tuning issues at idle and mid throttle and after talking with him and G9 it all made sense. Mine did it since I first bought it do I didn't think twice about it.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Hmmm. Interesting. I would think that if it was flowing all the time, you would have fuel available all the time until the float valve shuts off. Anyway, I'll have to see if mine is actually doing that or not and maybe get a new one.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Short snippet of the convo
"leaking unmetered fuel into your intake via the vacuum hose, also it is possible the petcock is not opening as far as it would with vacuum control. It also may be open further than with the vacuum. You're still limited by the orifice of the petcock outlet but there will not be a lull in pressure like when you're at idle."
And if honda designed it that way then I trust them. Thanfully g9 had a used one.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Rip_City_Spree wrote:Short snippet of the convo
"leaking unmetered fuel into your intake via the vacuum hose, also it is possible the petcock is not opening as far as it would with vacuum control. It also may be open further than with the vacuum. You're still limited by the orifice of the petcock outlet but there will not be a lull in pressure like when you're at idle."

Makes sense. Shopping for one now :) Not sure if this will work, but I like cheap :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HONDA-SPREE ... 16&vxp=mtr

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Fuel-Petr ... c5&vxp=mtr
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

my nifty fifty (spree) just has a on/off valve no vacumme control just constent flow ive never had a problem
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

heres the one he recommended
http://m.ebay.com/itm/161237812273?_trk ... mwBanner=1
I looked at the local honda dealer for a new one it was like $50. I don't know enough about them to say either way.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Close I'm a little south east of there. Down at the 217 I-5 junction. Wait what you guys went on the highway?!? Granted traffic always sucks going into the tunnel that's still nuts.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

took the bike out for a quick shakedown today. it ran ok will need to do some tuning to get it back in shape. but atleast it ran so Im thankful about that. I didnt open her to much as I just wanted to make sure I made it back to the shop. I will reinspect the exhaust and make sure things are still where they should be. but so far so good now to just get her dialed in again. temps stayed under 300 with no surging at idle on throttle seemed strong but when I get off the throttle and get back on its hesitant till it kicks in. thankfully I got till the august 15th till the dyno day at the Scooterswap shop to get it dialed in. will be taking many small trips before I decide to do anything to long with it. oddly enough it actually seems quieter now than it did before. my goal at this point to get through the summer and get another BBK to put on it over the winter. crossing fingers that weld gives me some riding time. only time will tell
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Well after looking over the exhaust and whatnot this afternoon I decided to ride the bike home. Definitely needs some tuning help. Amazing how much different this runs with a properly working petcock. Having some issues 1/4-3/4 that I need to sort but opened it up once full throttle no bog and it wanted to run.
Cruising temps under 300 highest I got was 350 running a 32 pilot, clip one notch up and a 108 main.

Overall the bike ran ok some flutter down low and some bog upon accel after holding throttle steady around 1/4 throttle. Decel was ok it had hang up a couple times coming back down to idle.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY