sully's 86 spree build

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

sully865
BMX
BMX

sully's 86 spree build

Post by sully865 »

http://imgur.com/hXgCE6d
I bought this 86 iowa spree about a year ago as a project. I got it home and it ran for 20 minutes then sputted out. I'm not sure what went wrong with it, but i ended up buying an 85 aero engine from kevinstonge. sorry for the external link its the only picture I had and is too big for the forum.

I had a few questions about the build. The oil pump is possibly faulty and i'd rather pre-mix. When people say plug the pump, do they mean remove the whole thing and plug the whole? also, with the new shock placement, the stock air filter will not fit. ive ordered a pod filter to compensate. besides tuning, will i also need to re-jet for that? any feedback is appreciated. sorry for the bad picture!
patthesoundguy

Re: sully's 86 spree build

Post by patthesoundguy »

Yes you will totally need a rejet for that unless you can restrict the intake inside the pod filter to match the flow of the original air box. Thanks to swimmingfree for coming up with that trick.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
sully865
BMX
BMX

Post by sully865 »

IIRC some people have used bottles around the filter and and drilled holes the same size as the stock filter? would it be better to up-jet to a 90? and run the UNI as is. its a 3" filter and its foam.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

You can upjet like that and it will just fine. But its not as much the filter as the airbox inlets that regulate the air flow to the carb. Hence the plastic 2 liter bottle cap with the same size holes drilled in it as the air box inlets. The air filter element does also regulate flow as well but not to the same extent so the holes need to be just a hair smaller in the cap. The spree motor does fine with an upjet and unifilter. You just need to adjust the idle air mixture to compensate. It will work best with the stock airbox though. Its a bummer your stock airbox won't fit up.
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
sully865
BMX
BMX

Post by sully865 »

the only problem is just clearance. a 2 liter would never fit lol. looks like a 90 jet. also for my oil pump i plugged it with foam. is that okay?

edit: its actually an '85 nb50 aero motor
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

FOAM? just grind the teeth of the shaft on the old pump andreinstall.
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
sully865
BMX
BMX

Post by sully865 »

lol yes, i'm sorry im a noob still with these engines. ill take your advice :newb:
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Lol not the whole 2 litre pop bottle silly. Pull the cap off the bottle Drill two small holes in it and jam it in the air hose. As for foam in the oil pump hole pauly is right. Foam won't do anything but also the crankcase to breathe and that means lean beyond all lean and a burnt up piston will result if it runs at all.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Dont worry sully if you stick around here with us for a while a noon you will no longer be. :-)
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
sully865
BMX
BMX

Post by sully865 »

haha i'm learning more everyday! ill have to find a DIY on a bottle airbox.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

i use the cap of the bottle and drill 2 3/8 hole in it ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
sully865
BMX
BMX

Post by sully865 »

after re-wiring the bystarter and putting a bottle cap with 2 3/8 holes it started :woot: I installed the throttle wrong and it wants to go but its no where near going anywhere lol. it was very smokey but i hope healthy. it wouldnt run with the UNI so im guessing its too restrictive with the cap and the filter. i need to install the brakes and i should be scootin! ill have pictures up soon
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

sully865 wrote:after re-wiring the bystarter and putting a bottle cap with 2 3/8 holes it started :woot: I installed the throttle wrong and it wants to go but its no where near going anywhere lol. it was very smokey but i hope healthy. it wouldnt run with the UNI so im guessing its too restrictive with the cap and the filter. i need to install the brakes and i should be scootin! ill have pictures up soon
Usually uni filters are almost no restriction. Might have to open up the holes a size at a time untill it works just right. I'd run it as it first and see how it goes. Two strokes always smoke a lot when you first get them yo start up. Should clear up a bunch with some time. Quite a feeling when it finally fires up and can mes to life for you. I put together a spree motor the other day and finally got it dont ne and started at 2 am strawberry smoke everywhere I still get giggles when I get a motor to start up the first time ;-) glad it for started up for you
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
sully865
BMX
BMX

Post by sully865 »

i cannot get the rear brakes to install. also when using the electric starter, it doesnt turn the engine over. the drive gear keeps coming loose. anyone have any methods of tightning it?
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

sully865 wrote:i cannot get the rear brakes to install. also when using the electric starter, it doesnt turn the engine over. the drive gear keeps coming loose. anyone have any methods of tightning it?
Do you have the side cover off while starting the motor? The only thing that holds the starter pawl in is the cover. Or is the drive gear you are referringthe drive pulley on the crank shaft? Or is it the pinion gear on the starter itself thats slipping?
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock