New guy from Michigan with some scooters

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

gtiguy1
Noob
Noob

New guy from Michigan with some scooters

Post by gtiguy1 »

Hey guys, I'm Don.
I very recently got into scooters after I bought a couple ('85 spree and '94 Qingqi Razz clone) and rode in a pack with some old college friends. We spent an entire day exploring the backroads of Kalamazoo and it was honestly the most fun I've had in a long time. I had so much fun I decided I wanted a scoot that was better suited to a guy my size (6'2" 250lbs) so I bought my new-to-me 1985 Honda Aero 80 (Same year as me, ha!). After reading about various models, the NH80 really appealed to me because of the 80's style and 2-stroke engine with enough power to pull me up hills easily. The one I found needs some love, and looking back on it now I wish I has been more patient in finding one, but this is what I have and I'm going to make it work. I'm in the process of trying to make it reliable as I can and fix a few cosmetic problems. I've found a lot of information on motorscooterguide and here at hondaspree.net and I appreciate it all, thanks!

Here is a pic of the fleet, the two closest belong to me.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217 ... oh9nm7.jpg

Here's the NH80
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217 ... hshkqc.jpg

After teardown, I'm replacing all the lines, gas, oil, both tires and variator rollers.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217 ... tjfp2f.jpg

the nasty variator

this tire was probably due for a replacement

all new clear lines

New Kenda tires front and rear
And tucked away back in the barn until I find a few more pieces

It runs and rides awesome now, it starts immediately hot or cold and does about 39mph with my 260lbs on it. I switched the rollers to 13g units so that may account for the slightly lower top speed? It accelerates very well though so I'm completely happy.

P.S. If anyone has a headlight and/or handlebar fairings for a '85 Aero 80 they'd like to sell hit me up!
gtiguy1
Noob
Noob

Re: New guy from Michigan with some scooters

Post by gtiguy1 »

I put about 20 miles on the NH80 over the weekend and had an absolute blast. The power of the 80cc is so much more enjoyable than the Spree and Qingqi 50cc, and I think having a variator helps a lot. It's noticeably heavier and bigger, so it's slightly less flick-able but with my size it's certainly more comfortable on longer rides. I put 13g rollers in it (stock are 16g) and the acceleration is about perfect for me, and I was topping out at about 40mph on my phone speedo app on flat ground.
Dr_Craw
Spree
Spree

Post by Dr_Craw »

that's a sweet ride, glad you like it sir!
Roll the dice
motormike

Post by motormike »

Hello Don... :hi:
I am getting "Error" on your photobucket link... :confused:
Welcome to the forum... :woot:
I wanted an Aero 80 until I got one...then I sold it quick.
That choke system is a total "fubar"... :imo:
Admittedly, I am already spoiled with an Aero 125... :naughty:
The Aero 80 owners here are very fond of the 80.
You will have plenty of help with your refurbishment when needed.
Rock-on gtiguy1... :urban: ...<motormike
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I have an 85 aero 80, I love it. I do have to agree about the choke or auto enrichment setup it kind blows. Mine works but not sure how well somtimes. It can be bypased with a manual valve though thanks to the Bear for figuring it out.bthe schematic is around here ssomewhere. I would ditch the clear lines even though you did such a great job replacing them and getting them so perfect. The clear PVC line will harden almost immediately when exposed to fuel and fuel vapor. This could result in a vacuum leak down the road. If you want clear line you need to use tygon yellow line ment for fuel use. If you found you got better acceleration with the 13 gram rollers over the 16 gram stock ones you likely need a new center spring in the driven pulley. For about 12$ you can pick up a yellow malossi spring for Honda dio that will restore the bottom end and with the 16 gram rollers you might see more top end. And if you put in a 90 jet you will see 45 pretty easy in the top end
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock