86 Honda spree- Minarelli Corsa- updated page 1

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Re: 86 Honda spree zuma swap SPRUMA

Post by hothatch85 »

im running a 21mm polini CP i took the jet out of the emulsion tube and the threads on the jet are all flat and the emulsion tube stripped on the inside, luckily a local mx shop had a tap small enough so back on track! tunning continues tonight. going from a 100 main to a 95 to start.
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

I'm starting to beleive this motor is being heavily restricted by the stock spree cdi, it feels like it follows the stock spree powerband and it's SLOW. The bike is still pretty rich but it should still be going faster then 35. I can feel the bike revving out but the power isn't there. Pretty bummed that I'm gonna have to put even more money into this
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

It's difficult not to be discouraged when the guy I'm asking to tune it is saying "you built this wrong, the stock stator and stock cdi are restricting it, you have preadvance detonation and blah blah blah" like f*** I asked you to help me tune it not talk my build into the ground. I'm trying stick by what you've told me, Brandon. When I ride the bike it doesn't feel like an animal at all. Even when Justin's elite first was getting tuned it was a beast. Something isn't right
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

I already know he's an idiot but he knows how to tune a bike. I have the stock bell and clutch in right now with a blue spring. My stock clutch bell isn't completely flat so it's got a slight wobble. I might try adjusting the pickup sensor but I have good spark. I'll tighten down the headstuds too since I've rode it a bit. I also only have one vaccum line hooked up from the carb to the intake, should I do both? I'm running the 6.5 gram weights. An air leak sounds more logical which could be, I noticed some oil and gas around the base gasket
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

He thinks an ignition issue because when he rode it he said it seemed like the reeds were fluttering and it was only doing 35 like the stock spree motor did
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

I can get the bike to start almost immediently and it idles great, just doesn't run great..yet. I made sure I put the piston was installed correctly since whoever owned the spree before me did that to the stock motor. I'm not running a fuel pump either it's gravity fed but that's how justin is also running his. It sounds like a heathy 2t just doesn't run like one. I just spent $50 on jets so hopefully get this running a little better tonight. Tuning a scooter is not my forte, but I can build the s*** out of them.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

The Honda timing are way lower, that's why you can run a 4t with it as well. The Mina does use a bit more advance I've been told but never seen proof.
Is it a clone engine? I have 2 clone engines and both have a wobbly clutch bell. I can't believe they work as wobbly as they were. Just a good FYI on the Mina you can advance it 3-4 degrees and it will make it even more responsive, I recommend using a colder plug if you do on a stock port job. Flutter in the reeds sounds like he's experiencing a rich condition. Hard to say with out being there.
Mina you have to match the components or risk it not playing nicely with each other.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Purchase, install, and use a temp gauge.
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

the belt is brand new. i have a 95 main in right now with a 40 pilot and it still seems really rich. i bought a 90, 85, 80, 105 and a 118 main as long as a 38 and 45 pilot

this is a clone motor, ive been swapping everything to yamaha, the stator is still chinese but is working with the zuma flywheel. unsure if thats safe er not

i got some work cut out for me tonight.

hopefully its nothing related to timing. the asshat whos suppose to tune the carb is trying to convince me to spend $200+ on a race ignition to "fix" my "f*ckup"

thanks for the words on encouragement gang
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

brandon, its possible its trans related too. the bike just feels wrapped out and hardly goes anywhere. but like i said its a brand new belt, if its anything its the stock clutch if it is trans related.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

If its revving high it would seem to me the timing is ok. A race ignition loses the head light function unless you get a lighting coil with it. But timing sounds ok. I would add some heavier rollers and see how the clutch and rear spring react.
I'd assume too rich with the 90 if he thinks there is reed flutter. Might need a new plug by this time also.
Are you paying this person to tune it or is it a friend?
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

He's a friend lol he's just very hard headed and if it isn't his way it's wrong. Did I say 90? I ment 95, I'm dropping down to the 90 then 85 if it still needs it. That just seems crazy low for main to me! But these carbs do contain some kind of black magic that makes them preform so well. Polini kits come with champion plugs :crazy:

Another good point! I'll check that tonight too, the belt I bought fits perfectly on a GET, is that just a clone thing or do zuma/honda interchange?
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

Played with the bike alittle today. I'm on a 85 main with a 40 pilot. The bike bursts into the powerband on takeoff for just a moment then bogs outta it and it's slow. I think it might possibly be the Chinese clutch cause it looks like it's maxing out really fast just free revving it. It's pretty boggy down low I think I gotta up to a 45 Main. Another thing is it slowly decelerates like trying to give it gas while slowing down makes it really bog and it feels like the bike is gonna die
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

You need a Better torque spring and different rollers to accommodate the new rear spring. 40 sounds large on pilot I would have tried a 38 not larger.
Sounds like its getting there.
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

Makes sense, I have the 6.9 rollers in right now that came with the vari.
http://www.drowsports.com/malossi-mhr-o ... a-zuma-50/
That's a pretty penny, hopefully when I get the polini clutch and bell it changed things. I don't know what to run for a belt :/ the new one I got is the same size but it sits deeper in the clutch. I got some more tinkering to do but I'm way happier with it then before