Ruckus Build- Stage6 RT Minarelli Powered (PIC HEAVY)

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Ruckus Build- Stage6 RT Minarelli Powered (PIC HEAVY)

Post by 1man8scoots »

You need your relay to the cdi to send a positive signal to the cdi it sounds like. So you reverse the poles on the relay and use the power source from the tail light and use a switched ground from the old cdis kill switch to go to the relay to become a way that it switches it on or off. But when he says to use one of the normally closed ground wires and attach that to the mvt bl/wt I get lost in the translation. Maybe he's saying to use the what would be ground wires that's now a power wire and send it to the mvt wire/ stator.
I think ha. It was a confusing read. But I do know the mvt cdi isn't a ground kill cdi. Are you using the mvt or the stock zuma cdi? I know some kits you could.
He's also saying to use a low amperage relay as the mvt doesn't produce a lot of power/amps at low rpm. He also switched to led style head lights because the charging system is that poor.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

I have to read it 20 more times before I say that's my final answer tho. I has a head aches nows.
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

Your standard cube relay has 2 sets of contacts, 2 are normally open & 2 are normally closed. The coil controls the position of the relay contacts. so the normally open become closed contacts, when the coil is powered & the closed become open.

This is how the Zuma works. The ruck harness may switch B+ at the key switch, but it would just be matter of grounding the other side of the relay coil.

What you are doing is changing the contacts continuity to ground. With the relay coil being powerd by the Key switching ciruit.

He just sent me this...

im using the MVT cdi
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

i dont even have a kill switch wired i was just trying to use my key. im going to add a kill switch. i rewired my igntion relay based off what another guy did and all seems to be working. ill retime the bike tonight, fire it and see if the newly added kill switch does the trick.

honestly i dont know if hes explaining to me how to get it started or how to shut it off. ive only had an issue with killing the motor lol
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

Got the ruckus CORRECTLY timed last night. got d*** i feel dumb. 180 off and firing after tdc. sheesh, that was a super fun learning experience. ill pick up a kill switch today sometime and finish up some wiring and run another heat cycle on this bike.
Downsouthdio
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Downsouthdio »

Absolutly sick bike :thumbsup:
Honda super dio
Corsa
26mm
Sparrow
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

no heat cycle happened last night because i LOST spart :confused: my mind is boggled. i undid my added kill switch and i put my igntion relay back to the way i had it when it ran before..no change.

im gonna check the stator tonight and the coil. i dont get how either would go bad from the last time it ran... any ideas or things i should check? igntion relay is working correctly...absolutely everything is the same besides the re time. the stator now has a little gap between the stator and rotor which im assuming was just because the base plate was tightened enough but would that gap be causing the no spark? stumped..
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

just bought a rectifer off ebay.. played with a multimeter last night and im still stuck.

my thoughts are maybe i shorted out the rectifer redoing the ignition relay. seems very possible to me, or its somehow the stator which i really doubt...once i get the interal rotor puller im gonna try an oem stator and flywheel if the rectifer doesnt fix it. or i have a wiring short somewhere....i hate chasing down a no spark. really hoping for cheap easy fix.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Make a short loop harness. Only have the cdi, coil, and ignition. It should only be around 7 wires. You don't need a rectifier to have spark.
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

the power to the stator passes through the rectifer though. so if the rectifer is bad wouldnt that mean the stator isnt getting power? only small bleek chance of hope i have right now.

harness is tore the F apart. looking for a broken wire, something unhooked. anything. i want it to be this so bad but i literally havent touched the harness since last fire. just added a kill switch and redid ignition relay which i undid when i found my no spark issue.

my theory the pick up gap was two large proved false after loosening the stator bolts to bring the stator and rotor closer together.

i can visually see the igntion relay clicking with the key turned. tail and brake light function and horn works. ive tested my coil and spark plug wire with a multimeter and both work. i have a good coil ground as well.

i blew the main harness fuse when rewiring the igniton relay which is why i think the rectifer may have gone bad as it isnt fused.

or is the mvt stator and/or the cdi.

gets very frustrating working on this a few hours a day and having zero results.
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

harness is clean, new rectifer did nothing. *sigh*

theres this local kid with a 171 and another guy with a 190 gy6. they both think their motors are gold. no amount of logic will change there minds. the dude with the 190cc refuses to ride with me because of my "two stroke bull ish" :crazy:

i know my bike will blow both of their pants clean off. i cant di ck around with the wiring anymore. im ready to ride this beast. the last thing i wanted to do was order another ignition but im out of ideas.

will find out in a week or two if the new iggy is the ticket. ive committed to it. im really hoping/praying this is it.
Last edited by hothatch85 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

That sucks hatch electrical issues blow. Hope you get it solved soon. Those guys are just scared that you'll smoke em. I've run into that here where they think their bikes are best around, yet once I blow past them like they are standing still their story changes. the GOOCH earns her due respect on the streets.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
phxfg2
Noob
Noob

Post by phxfg2 »

Im running the same motor and I have had zero issues but im running an sa50 harness with the stock zuma stator im running this for a cdi. https://www.steadygarage.com/store/feignblasterignition
it hooks directly to the pickup. might be worth a try
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

i have a feeling the issue is in the stator or cdi. ill do some more playing tonight. but at least the new correct one is ordered. im using the matching harness that came with this motor. ive removed the stock cdi wiring. this harness is set up specifically for mvt stator and mvt cdi.

im not even getting power to the coil wires. gotta be cdi or stator... gotta be...
:sad:

im certain my harness isnt the cause, but if it so happens the new mvt kit produces the same no spark i will purchase another zuma wiring harness and re wire the entire bike.

i gotta get this thing running, tuned and ridable in time to make it out to portland for the SSS grand opening!!
phxfg2
Noob
Noob

Post by phxfg2 »

where does the mvt cdi take power from?