My first build 99' elite sr 50 (sa50x)

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

willburr76
BMX
BMX

My first build 99' elite sr 50 (sa50x)

Post by willburr76 »

I'm new here and I'm totally amazed at the performance you guys are getting and the helpful people on here
Coming from building Harley's and Harley forums this place is where I wanna be. Anyway picked up a non running 99' sr 50 delivered to my place for $135 title and plates. I tested everything electronic cleaned the carb and lastly compression. 30psi bummer I pulled the head to find a homemaid head gasket. Which was obviously leaking and I believe it made a lean condition and snapped one of the piston rings. Funny thing is there is no scratches or scrapes in the bore. It did wreck the piston though. I'm thinking on keeping it 50cc. At least for now. I'll be uploading pics as soon as I figure out how to compress the image file. I've picked up a metropolitan front forks and tree so that will be coming up in the build just not fond of the looks of the factory elite forks. I got a shock off a 09' ninja 250r from a buddy that is going on there I'm 6' 250# the factory shock is just not enough. What does the SA50X mean I haven't been able to find anything on that only SA50P just curious if it means anything. Anyways glad to be a part of this great forum.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Re: My first build 99' elite sr 50 (sa50x)

Post by ped »

Hi Wilbur. welcome to the forum.
the SR is the non restricted. If you had a letter P after the SA50 that would be the restricted scooter.
for the new year we had two of the most knowledgeable people move on. But I'm sure someone can shed light on the X. I think it's just part of your vin. no P after 50, is a SR.

for posting photos you can use photobucket. It's free. Just have to sign up. Or you can use your phone. Set the pixels for the lowest setting on your camera. Upload from your phone or computer. Hope this helps. Glad to see you save that elite.
All you have to decide is how fast do you want to go? That will determine how much you will need to spend. Lol. :smile:
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I also mis-spent too much time on Sportster.org. This place is more fun.
I'll be following your installation of that EX250 shock. It's not like there isn't a ton of better shocks out there, just gotta figure out which ones are about the right length and will fit the fasteners...
Glad you've found the One True Faith.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Post by willburr76 »

rearshock.jpg
rearshock.jpg (20.83 KiB) Viewed 8718 times
Ya this shock is about an inch long but the factory shock is so squishy that I'm not sure if that ones the right length either.lol Anyway this shock is gonna take a little bit of fan work as the ends are backwards to the Honda shock. But I think it won't be to bad. It will definitely be a better ride.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

hi willburr76. the shock should work fine. take a look at my shock mod thread.
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=30435
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Post by willburr76 »

Yes I actually read that last night. It is the foundation of my plan for sure. Nice job by the way. I'll keep pics going as soon as get them. That's what I like about this sight the help and knowledge is the best.
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Post by willburr76 »

So I've been thinking about going factory rebuild on the motor and I'm looking for parts. The thing I'm wondering is the guys with the Molassi cast iron top what's your opinion. Is the power worth going with a bbk. The problem is I just had a heart attack and now a defibulator put in so were down to one income. So when I say budget build I ain't joking. I love that black elite graphite9 built that's what I want my bike to look like I'm not sure about the extension but ya love that bike.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Hi willburr. sorry to hear about your heart. There's nothing wrong with the stock bore. You can go 35 mph Plus. Some folks can go 50 mph with stock bore and 9to1 gears.
the bbk help you get to that speed quicker.
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Post by willburr76 »

So how many people have put the metropolitan tree and forks on there elite? I've read two ways of doing it cutting the stem and adding a section in; as well as purchasing the bearing cup from scootershop (g9) hope I got that right. Then grinding the welds off bottom of stem and welding elite stem in met tree. What are the advantages from one to the other?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings;

I could be mistaken, but the majority of fork-swappage I see on here is done in order to fit a decent front disc brake. Since the Met shares the abysmally small 95mm drum diameter with the Elite, there's not much point to swapping for Met forks. Later Dio forks typically feature discs, and so are the popular choice for riders whose mounts can hit 50, 60 or more MPH.

Arguably, the trailing-link design of the Elite fork is superior to the inexpensive telescopic design of the Met. Natural anti-dive geometry keeps from flipping these ultra-short 2-wheelers over on hard braking. Honda probably found the Met forks cheaper to produce, and a couple of bucks matters a lot at this price point.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Post by willburr76 »

I guess the reason I'm doing it is because I think the stock forks are ugly. I like the look of the telescoping forks better as far as looks go. So would it be a good idea to extend the rear a couple inches for ride quality/safety?
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

I rode whiteys 2001 elite last year and the suspension felt fine. Better than my wife's vino. Braking is better on the all drum vino, but I dont think whitey had dialed his brakes in. Highest priority is to go fast, then work on slowing down. :)
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Read my build thread for the GOOCH With gears and variator I gained atleast 10mph and it ran great and would still be pounding the streets of I'd not gone with a BBK. Stopped fine and the suspension was ok Id get it mechanically sound first.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Post by willburr76 »

Thanks Rip city spree I've read your build but I'll do so again. I've found myself rereading some of the builds and the knowledge I'm gaining when I reread things make more sense. I got a question what's anyone's thoughts on why I might have a #68 main jet in a sr. Carb swapped out?
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Post by willburr76 »

So here's a pic of my rear cover what's causing the rubbing?
Attachments
rearcover.jpg
rearcover.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 8296 times