Oil Tank to Fuel Reserve (Do it right parts list)

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Sheeshee
BMX
BMX

Oil Tank to Fuel Reserve (Do it right parts list)

Post by Sheeshee »

Hey all,

I've finally found time to start working on the Spree again. I've got a bunch of parts just waiting to be put on (BBK, new intake stuff, exhaust, etc.). (BTW, thanks again Graphite and RedEft!) I knew going in that I'd have to go back to premixing :( , and as we all know the Spree's fuel tank is insanely small. While tearing it apart, I had the idea (like many others have) to convert the oil tank to an extra fuel tank for those "long" rides. I had an idea of what I needed to do in my head, but I always check the board first to see if there is a better/easier way.

I came across a few threads discussing the conversion with a lot of interesting ideas. I used some of those ideas along with my design (I'll post the conversion walk-through as a get the parts in. Parts list is also included).

Though this "design" is far from unique or profound, I do think it will do the job adequately and simply. The main purpose of creating this thread is to provide a source for parts that I will be using for this conversion. Other threads I found suggest using plastic parts :nervous: , or do not list the parts at all.

Here are the parts I will be using:

A MettleAir Y 3/16 fitting (I chose a "Y" instead of a "T" just because it seems more intuitive to me):
http://www.amazon.com/MettleAir-127-3-U ... yp_p_img_1

And a Motion Pro 3/16 inline fuel valve:
http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-003 ... yp_p_img_2

Both of these parts are brass and seem to be of decent quality (though I'll let you know as I get them in) and are inexpensive (my order was 20 bucks with shipping and tax). You may even be able to source these parts even cheaper at a fastener store. I also entertained the idea of using a small dirtbike/quad fuel petcock with a 3 way selector (FUEL, RES, OFF), but they can be expensive, and often don't list the diameter of the nipples--though it would definitely look nicer.

My plan is for the fuel to run from the oil tank to the valve, from the valve to the Y fitting (where it will link the main and oil "reserve" tank), Y fitting to the carb. During regular operation--that is, when the main tank is full of fuel--the reserve tank valve will be closed, and the stock fuel diaphragm will operate normally. Only when the main tank runs out/low will the valve be opened to the reserve tank. This design, as suggested by other members as well, ensures that the unregulated gravity feed from the oil tank does not tax the float needle of the carb when it doesn't need to; that is, the reserve tank will be opened only in emergency situations.

I will, of course, post pictures as I progress, but I am currently waiting for the parts to come in. Let me know what you guys think! I hope this parts list will be useful to other members seeking to convert their oil tanks to fuel reserves.
1984 Spree AF16
1974 Yamaha RD250
Sheeshee
BMX
BMX

Re: Oil Tank to Fuel Reserve (Do it right parts list)

Post by Sheeshee »

Hey all,

Back from Vegas, and my parts are in! Here's my plumbing:

All the parts fit well, and it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. The valve is a little hard to open, but just use 2 hands and you'll be good. Again, the point of this post was for other forum members to reference parts. I don't want to see any more vacuum line T's!!!!! :evil:.

Thanks guys/gals!
1984 Spree AF16
1974 Yamaha RD250
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nice work, but a word of Caution: Use spring clips or hose clamps on EVERY fitting, no matter how tight it seems when assembled. Hot-Cold-bounce can cause a line to pop off the barb, leaving you stalled in a flammable lake. Don't ax me how I know...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Sheeshee
BMX
BMX

Post by Sheeshee »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Nice work, but a word of Caution: Use spring clips or hose clamps on EVERY fitting, no matter how tight it seems when assembled. Hot-Cold-bounce can cause a line to pop off the barb, leaving you stalled in a flammable lake. Don't ax me how I know...
Haha thanks for the cautionary words of wisdom. None of the lines are finalized yet, as I have a lot more work to do to the scoot. I just basically plugged everything in and snapped a quick pic! I will make sure to secure those lines before I ride!
1984 Spree AF16
1974 Yamaha RD250