RazZuma?

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

CalvinB
Goped
Goped

RazZuma?

Post by CalvinB »

I've wanted to build up a SpreeDio ever since I found out that it was a thing. Unfortunately the stars have never aligned and I have never had the money, the space and the parts all at the same time.

However, I just stumbled on the next best thing. A friend of mine bought a non-running purple Yamaha Riva Razz about 6 months ago, and ever since has been trying to get it to run right to various degrees of success. Recently he picked up a Honda Trail 90 that had been swapped with a 90's era 125cc Honda 4stroke (that thing is scary), and wanted to ditch the Razz. Since I had helped him try to get it running he gave it to me for a few bucks. Now I had a scoot that only ran on certain days of the month, idled poorly and only went 25.

A month or so later I was trolling the motorcycle pages of craigslist and found what I thought was a bit of a unicorn, at least in my area. A totaled 2005 Zuma with a running motor!

Razz with crappy motor + Zuma was wrecked front end = RazZuma!

So I'm going to build this thing up with a bunch of stage6 and polini parts and make a little sleeper drag bike out of it. I'll try to give regular updates with progress and photos as I go as well as times and tuning after the build is done.
Last edited by CalvinB on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
'93 Yamaha Jog SOLD
'86 Honda Spree "problem child"
'94 Yamaha RazZuma viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32666
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: RazZuma?

Post by MrJumps »

I can not wait to see this, I have my spread project going on now too but i rather have wha you do. the spree is a hard frame to work with.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
CalvinB
Goped
Goped

Post by CalvinB »

So when I bought the Zuma the owner fired it up and it ran like a champ. I handed him my $200 bucks and was on my way home. When I pulled the motor out over the weekend I found something I've never seen in person before. The oil pump on this 10 year old motor didn't have an Oring and it looked like it had been missing for 9 and a half of those 10 years.

The entire crankcase and under the fan was COVERED in 2 stroke oil.

And after 4 hours of scrubbing in the parts cleaner...

Also once I took the fan off, I saw that the flywheel nut was missing and it looks like someone tried to use a hammer to remove the flywheel. Using the PROPER TOOLS I was able to pull the flywheel and separate the case with no drama.

Luckily I was planning on replacing all of the parts that were damaged. The piston was also pretty chewed up from soft seizing most of it's life, although the bore looks really good. The other thing that sucks is I was planning on selling most of my take offs to recoup some of the costs.
'93 Yamaha Jog SOLD
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Thats crazy, Ive heard of 2stroke oil pumps doing this but never on a scooter. mostly oh really fast moving motors. like upwards of 22ks rpm and stuff. I saw a rotary that blew its oring on its turbo and sucked all all kinds of bitsonce. fun fun.
CalvinB
Goped
Goped

Post by CalvinB »

Some more pics of the oil pump carnage plus some noob mistakes

I think this motor had an oil injection issue, I have to figure out a way to incorporate this into the final build as a remembrance.

Also when I was trying to remove the starter pinion and clutch, I used an impact driver to remove the screws, and they both instantly let go. I thought it was my being a noob, but when I was drilling the heads off, the bolts were very very soft. So maybe it's not 100% my fault.

The heads came right off, gotta make room for some new bits to fit.

'93 Yamaha Jog SOLD
CalvinB
Goped
Goped

Post by CalvinB »

I don't understand why, all the other fasteners are 5mm allen, you would think that it would cost them more to stock an entirely different screw just to use 3 per engine.

Oh well, they are in the trash and never coming back.

P.S. I saw that you got everything out today, thank you, I can't wait!
'93 Yamaha Jog SOLD
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

This will be awesome. My bro used to have an old razz, I'll look for a pic. It's gonna be scary w that motor haha. Gotta pic of it?
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Image Here's my bros old one.
CalvinB
Goped
Goped

Post by CalvinB »

The Razz is actually still at my buddy's house, i have an old house with tiny garage, and if i want room to work it's a 3 scoot max. For some reason my wife wont let me store the spree in the dining room. Im going to finish separating the Zuma into a trash pile and ebay pile this weekend and the go get the Razz.

I love these really cheap, plasticy scooters. Its the same reason i love vw beetles, they are really light, simple and you can leave them stock and they are great fun, or you can put some stupid, modern motor and make them scary fast.

I will try to get some pics of the razz posted ASAP, it's nowhere near as pretty as your brother's though.
'93 Yamaha Jog SOLD
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Ya he did alot of polishing. He lowered it and rode it everywhere (at 34 mph), then sold it for nothin, like 300 bucks
CalvinB
Goped
Goped

Post by CalvinB »

Update:

Mailman showed up with a big box of parts today so I really need to finish cleaning the case.

I will break it all down as fast as what parts and stuff as I go, but look how pretty!

I probably spent a little too much on the trans parts, but the transmission is what actually gets you down the road, and the CVT is what I like so much about scooters, so I might as well have a nice one.

It's a shame that all of these will get covered up but the ugly trans cover. I just may have to cut some holes in it :naughty:
'93 Yamaha Jog SOLD
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Use a cordless drill to start it and carry it in your backpack :P leave the trans cover off and show it of hahaha
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Ive personally done that and knew others that did cuz therr kicker was broken, just make sure its a regular driver and not an impact gun. However the minarelli scene is so huge, ive seen a pic of transparent case, might have been custom. You can always cut it yourself, did it with my 93' elite sr, then used a harbor freight polishing kit, comes with bits that go in a drill and i can now see my reflection in it!
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

You can mold the factory cover and make a new one our of clear composite, but that's alot of messy work. Just make sure the starter works and go ankle biter(no cover)! That's what I wanna do
CalvinB
Goped
Goped

Post by CalvinB »

I still want to keep it a little bit sleeper status. Even with the pipe I'm using and the fact that its going to have a slight stretch, there isn't really any soft of scooter tuning community around here or any awareness of what these things can do. I'm constantly getting funny looks when I pass people going uphill on my Spree, and its a factory motor with a bbk and carb, not a race tuned, properly built motor with a variator.
'93 Yamaha Jog SOLD