Lusty Hooter

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Lusty Hooter

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Dissatisfied was I with wimpy stock honker. It said to traffic; "Um, if you don't mind, could you maybe please move your sheep off the road? I mean, if it's not too much trouble...".

I wanted something that says:

YO! SHEPHERD!! GET THE FLOCK OFF THE ROAD!

Enter Gen-you-whine Harley Davidson horn off my Sportster, (which now has air horns...but that's another story). Trouble is that Honda-san's little 5-Ohm job operates well enough with a clean switch, but HD Honker needs more juice. It half-fried my handlebar switch after two toots.

Checking things out, my cleaned-up switch flows enough amps to run a relay, which was wired in. Click-click. Now to power the horn: I ran a fused 12G wire from the battery forward, neatly tucking everything into stock wire clamps. Crimped on connector to input side of relay. Same wire connects from output side of relay to horn - the terminal doesn't matter. That left a ground from the other horn terminal to ??

Ah, the ignition switch afforded two sanitary options, as depicted here:

The stock horn wires are plugged to relay top and bottom. The yellow connectors and fat blue wires are the input from battery and output to horn. The other yellow connector hiding behind the relay is the ground wire securely bolted to the ignition switch bracket.

The whole setup tucks nicely behind the front cover as shown here:

Sorry for cruddy BB Camera photos, but you get the idea. Now to the pastures for adventure! No zippers or corduroy pants for me. And wearing billy boots. :oops:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Did you have to upgrade the stock horn relay to handle the H-D horn, or are the rated the same (or close enough?)
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Wheelman-111

Relay

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Stock Honda horn appears to operate right off the switch. The switch couldn't handle the HD Horn, as stated. I ADDED the relay and wired it as described and (sort of) shown. Read the post.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

No more 'roadrunner' meep meep from your Spree. Would be fun so see you go up to a bunch of H-D riders and give the the horn. :wink:
Wheelman-111

8Ike Night at Snapka's

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

One Friday a month a classic 50s drive-in restaurant called Snapka's in Corpus Christi hosts a bike night. It's an event where you can go look at freshly polished eye candy. Mostly Harleys and choppers but a smattering of everything else - V-8 Boss Hosses, vintage Brit stuff, a few pre-war Indians- you get the idea.

Old pal Halon his Warrior and I on my Sportster rode over most every.month for a while, there to ogle and burn some expensive Dominican tobacco and Metzeler rubber. Were the opportunity to present itself, you can bet I'd show up astride Flash just to see the looks on the faces of the tattooed brethren.

Alas, Flash is probably permanently at my interim headquarters in Beaumont, and the winter months put bike night on hiatus. Maybe there's something similar going on here, but I don't have the cred to try it, yet.

Genuine quote from 1971 CT-70 owner's manual: "If a footperson should obstruct your passage, tootle him with your horn. Tootle him melodiously at first. If he continues to hinder, tootle him with Vigour."

Yours in vigourous tootling,
Wheelman-111