installed big bore kit on spree HAVE PROBLEMS

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jamadi112233
Spree
Spree

installed big bore kit on spree HAVE PROBLEMS

Post by jamadi112233 »

it sounds like there is an air leak when its running at one of the seals. What should i do?? i dont have any more gaskets. How tight can i screw in these head bolts
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Re: installed big bore kit on spree HAVE PROBLEMS

Post by odinxxix »

your manual will tell you have tight to torque the head bolts, and i would pull it apart and check your gaskets, if you did indeed break one then hit up tazland001 he is good about hooking you up. he fixed me up with a new set up gaskets. sometimes its faster if you find him on e-bay under chop chop123 i think.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
jamadi112233
Spree
Spree

Post by jamadi112233 »

well i took it apart. It seems that there is a tiny gouge in the base that was allowing it to leak air. i used some high temp gasket maker and its sealed. I havent tried starting it yet, but i certainly dont hear the leakage that i had before. I will let you know how it went as soon as it cures.
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

was the gouge in the casting of the case? is this maybe something ill have to look for when i install mine? please elaborate.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
jamadi112233
Spree
Spree

Post by jamadi112233 »

It looks like it wasnt sealing right where the case comes together. I used the gasket maker around the whole base, jus tto be on the safe side. Also, what air filter setups have been working for people with the bbk?
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

air leak. the old base gasket need to clean real good, base gasket must be dry. base gasket dont need silikone. head bolt need to torque down cross pattern.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

So true. That is a dry gasket. You dont want you any sealant's on the base or head gasket. Probally leaked from not a good cleaning on the base. That would be my guess. And yes, it is sometimes better to contact me on e-bay. hehe If there are gouges on the base just fill it with epoxy steel. That s*** is awesome. Can be sanded,drilled and handles high heats. :thumbwink:

Taz
jamadi112233
Spree
Spree

Post by jamadi112233 »

well its sealed with that sealant. I wasn't aware it was a dry gasket. I've put almost 100 miles on it W/O any problems though. Ya its all my fault nothing to do with the kit. I was in a mad dash to get that bad boy bolted up as it was getting dark and i currently dont have any power in my shop. I think that it was a combo of my half-* scrap job and the spot i mentioned. LIke i said though, this kit is amazing as far as torque.