3.0 X10 Tires on Spree. Will this work?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

catsailor
Spree
Spree

3.0 X10 Tires on Spree. Will this work?

Post by catsailor »

I am in the process of rebuilding my 84 spree. Sprucing it up a bit, and installing Taz bbk and gears. The head is going to machinist today to get milled. Also may just have him install gears because I can get the clutch off (any help on that would be awesome, and allow me to get motor soda washed $$$). Anyways, I got these 3.0 X 10 tires that are in great shape off of a junk chinese scooter that I have. They seem to fit, and look pretty badass. My question is, will they work? There is a clearance around the engine and exhaust. I put the fender back on, spun the wheel, and there was no rubbing. Are there any other issues I need to look for?

There seems to be between 1/8" and 1/4" clearance all the way around.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated
1984 Spree With Taz BBK and Gears
1988 Seawind 24 Catamaran
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 3.0 X10 Tires on Spree. Will this work?

Post by fightingplankton »

i know several people use the 3x10 tires when they add the bbk.
i really like your muffler paint job btw.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

Thanks. Muffler was chemical dipped (worked great) wire wheel sanded to bare metal, primed with high temp primer, and painted with rustoleum rattle can grill paint which is supposed to be tolerant to heat up to 1500 degrees. We will see how it holds out as the season goes on. I like the finish of it, as well as its apparent chemical resistance. Was thinking of using it on the frame while I have everything off of it.

Will the 3 X 10 do anything for or against perfomance with the bbk and gears installed?
madskater1987
BMX
BMX

Post by madskater1987 »

You may need to trim you rear fender some I did on my spree when I went to the 3.0'' tire
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

if there's clearance, it'll work. as long as you aren't going deep mud running or hitting big jumps or anything...

beautiful exhaust.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Going from a tire diameter of 14.5 to one of 15" won't have a huge effect on performance either way. One noticeable improvement was the ride quality in my experience upsizing tires. Remember the "suspension" on these things only provides about 2" of travel, so the added cush factor is welcome.

From my understanding, a boosted Spree needs as much gearing as you can get, so upsizing the tire in addition to the Taz gears may also improve your top speed by that 3% factor with minimal downside in acceleration.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

Thanks for the input. Local machinist (bike wrench by day) will mill my head, and install the taz gears for $30. Money well spent as far as im concerned.

Will keep posted on speed difference and comfort of ride once i get it back together. With the big list of other work i would like to do, including painting plastics, frame, new grips, mirrors, and turn signals, i still have a bit to go. Will post photos as build progresses.
ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

sounds awesome cant wait to see more pics