fuel problem

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

trains420
Spree
Spree

fuel problem

Post by trains420 »

i took my, well i was going to drain my float bowl. i tried it the other day. it kept pouring gas. before that i did it and it drained the gas. i put a new fuel filter on it. seemed fine for about a couple hours. then a gas smell and i think worse gas mileage. then i tried to drain the float bowl and it kept pouring gas. so i was gonna take the carburetor off awhile ago, and thought maybe something was just stopping it up. i keep my scooter inside, and it's been making my place stink like gas a bunch more lately. no leaks. but a gassy smell. and i had to put my cover over it to hold in the fumes.
so i drained the float bowl and it just kept going. i disconnected the fuel line from above the fuel filter and it was draining. i disconnected the fuel hose from the carb, and the vacuum line, and i blew on it but nothing. i blew as hard as i could and couldn't even do anything. didn't seem like i was blowing on anything but a straw. like little air went in. i drained the gas out. ok, so how do i fix this. can i?
another thing, i took the float bowl off and the main jet out, and the little idle jet behind it fell out. how do i put it back in. is it supposed to come out. is it ok to just put it back in. how about push it up in there and screw a main jet behind it.
anyone know how to fix this stuff. thanks.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Re: fuel problem

Post by fightingplankton »

the fact that gas continue to come through the fuel line even when no suction is applied normally signals faulty petcock.
the petcock is the bit connected to the bottom of the fuel tank.
it should only allow fuel through the top line when you suck on the bottom one(or when the carb does).
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

i took it off and kept sucking on the bottom part, and i kept getting gas out even when it was empty of gas. and after a while i started hearign a little crinkle sound at the top, but it wasn't stpoping air from going through it. is there any way to fix it.
and how about that idle jet that came out from behind the main jet, can i just put it back in, well im about ready to just find out anyway. i put it back in and turned the carburetor upside down, it seems to sit good, so i put a main jet in it. is that thing supposed to just come out like that, i just took the main jet out.
is there anyway to fix that fuel petcock. i was sucking on the other side and still getting fuel when it was empty, but i had to suck hard. think it's clogged up.
thanks
Wheelman-111

Carb Cleaning Consolidated

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I suggest you copy this link to your favorites. Also find "Carb Cleaning Consolidated" for many worthwhile suggestions from many Forumistas. The tube behind the main jet is called the Emulsion Tube. It belongs there, as you've surmised. I believe it only fits one way. See Pic #20 in the link above.

Some motorcycle brands' petcocks can be dismantled and rebuilt. Sadly, not so Honda's. I didn't understand your petcock question well enough to suggest a firm answer, but it sounds like it may be damaged. No harm in trying a 24-hour solvent soak to kill or cure it. Some say Carb Dip will dissolve the synthetic diaphragm membrane, but one I so abused survived to work fine. It may depend on the brand of Dip.

Good luck!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

ok so, i got a new petcock. it works fine. the other one like the valve sometimes will keep it from shooting gas, and sometimes not, when i was messing with it.
the emulsifier, is it supposed to come out when you take out the main jet? is something wrong with my carburetor.
also, i put a free flow air filter on, a uni-filter, and a 90 main jet, and i havent' been able to get my scooter to run good. on the plug chop pictures mine looks like a 23, and it says hot or lean but ok? could also say a 19 theres no stuff accumulating on it. it looks tanned, the plug does. i'll put a picture, or try to. it runs like it goes good and almost wheelies, also i got a new muffler on it too, the v8. it runs good when i first start it to about 15 mph then it kinda just dies. it misses and sputters like it's not getting gas.
what kind of main jet should i use. is it the main jet, should i .. i don't know i can't figure out my question. fix that. how can i? what do i do. i want it to run like when i take off, the whole time.
also theres this rubber smell, everytime after i ride, or a burnt smell. it's probably just the pipe, but sometimes i smell a rubber smell. and the pipe i think, is too close to the tire. i'll put a picture of that too. i have no idea about the emuslifier except put it back up in there. the scooter just sounds like it's running out of gas, and kinda missing. so i'll put these pictures, and see if anyone can help me figure out what to do.
oh and another question, when i unscrew the needle, how do i get it out to move that clip, and which way is richer, i was gonna move it one notch to the rich, since i'm using a free flow airfilter. ok thanks.
and the space inbetween the muffler and the tire is tight when i put my finger inbetween it. but the tire seems ok, but was wondering how big a tire i could put inbetween now, anyone who had this muffler or has it.
oh yea and i forgot the pictures, got them now.
thanks
Attachments
picture 083.jpg
picture 083.jpg (65.99 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
picture 080.jpg
picture 080.jpg (73.62 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

the thing about the emulsifier, is it supposed to be screwed in? from the top of the needle jet hole, like id have to push it from teh other side and start screwing it in, up. i don't think mine had any threads on it. does anybody know?
thanks.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

the thing about the emulsifier, is it supposed to be screwed in? from the top of the needle jet hole, like id have to push it from teh other side and start screwing it in, up. i don't think mine had any threads on it. does anybody know?
Install it by sliding it up from the main jet side. The right end of the tube in the pic is the side that pokes into the carb venturi. Check all of those bitty holes before installing for cleanliness.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The big-cylinder pipes do pass a little too close to the tire for comfort. I had that V8 too. Manual tire temp checks seemed to result in the R side of the rubber conspicuously warmer than the left. There's no room for anything much bigger than 3.50 for sure. The 90/90 is actually a little wider (.04", nominally) but not as tall. I was planning to shim the muffler a bit further outboard before I stumbled on a different pipe I wanted to try out. The Chamber design is skinny where it runs past the tire both front and rear, so tire heat concerns are greatly decreased.

The emulsion tube is supposed to press lightly in and out. There's no suggestion of something amiss with your carb. I don't recall seeing your setup or which jet you're running now, but the pipe swap alone justifies 2 sizes up from Stock. Your symptoms and spark plug appearance confirm it. It's always safer to go way big (like 4 sizes up... at least a 90 with stock airbox) and then drop down a size at a time until you're satisfied. CHT gauge makes guessing jet size a bunch easier.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

ok i used a uni-filter, and i used a 90 main jet, cause i read use an 88 and you'll probably go up to a 90. i seen where to buy a uni-filter, you need to find that topic, it said get a 1.25 inch one, and that's what i got. it was too big and had air coming in from the side, i couldn't do nothing. i had to order a 1 inch one. so i was running lean.
i've got a racing variator. the v8 pipe. 1 inch uni-filter coming. that post was about what to get. a link. ..i have a 90 and 85 main jet, from taz. i have a jet kit coming in from daywot, but having problems. and i got 8.9:1 gears in.
right now i'm using the air box, with the restriction poked out and an 85 main jet in. it runs good. when i had the uni-filter, and the 90 main jet, when it would go it would really pull and lean me back, i had the stock gears in it. i checked the spark plug after running the 85 main jet and the air box with the restriction out, and it looked like it had a little accumulation of stuff, like a little layer, so i think it was fine.
so if i use a uni-filter, 90 is a good main jet to use. will it be too rich, or too lean really. i was using that one uni-filter, and i put a cloth around the carb to try to block the air, but it was too much.
and on the needle is down rich and up lean. but my carb i got it not lean or too rich now, and running good. before it was too lean. i rode it maybe 10 miles like that but woulnd't givve it too much gas because it wasn't running right.
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

had problems. does anyone know anything. thanks.
with all these settings. anything look wrong. anything wrong with my setup.
any tips.
v8 pipe
racing variator
85 main jet
airbox with restriction cut out
8.9:1 gears
maybe i need to mess with clutch springs, contra springs and roller weights. i'm going to. take off has drug down more and more.