Newb with some questions about Nq 50 "spree"

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Newb with some questions about Nq 50 "spree"

Post by mustangwagz »

Well picked up a 86 spree this morning at 8am. Got it home and fired it on ether just to make sure it ran. Compression is good at 125 (manual says 114 minimum) Cleaned the carb, fuel tank, oil tank, all the strainers, etc etc. didnt get a plug just yet (sunday..parts store wasn't open). Little bugger does run good, 30 mph top speed across the flats. Everything seems to work except the horn. lol Darn! Now..was wandering if they make aftermarket reeds for these scoots? i been lookin..and cant find them. maybe i'm lookin in the wrong places, not sure. just kinda searched on here real quick and googled em and check ebay. can only find used reeds. It bogs outta the hole but once it cranks up it moves pretty good! but i was just wandering if replacing the reeds would give it a little better snap?

Also, as far as premix..what do yinz suggest for a ratio? The oil pump seems to be working (rode all day, didnt blow up, lol, and it smokes like typical 2 stroke but not overly smoky..over smoking means your wasting energy and power etc..if its like a chainsaw that is..) but just as a precaution i was thinkin bout mixin the 2 stroke myself. always have with anything 2 stroke i've owned. just gives ya a little more peace at mind..know what i mean.

Now as far as needing parts, i gotta email that greg fellow about a rear luggage rack, rear turn signals and the aux kick starter. Gonna try to legalize my scoot (or atleast make it look legit) for local trips to the grocery store N stuff.

hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here, like i said, only owned my scoot for one day and its pretty fun! lol hoping i can make this puppy a good running little scoot for years to come. Being able to pass it down to my boy would be pretty neat as well.

Thanks in advance for any information that anyone can provide, and if i've over looked a thread on this site that'll address the problems or questions i've asked i appologize for RE-posting. Thanks folks!

-Zac :coolcruise:
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Newb with some questions about Nq 50 "spree"

Post by martynkim »

First of all Welcome! :2thumbs: You sound like you got most things figured out. :woot: IDK about your reeds question but, sounds like a nice buy. What did you pay for it got a picture? The bogging out of the hole is pretty normal. A couple of pushes Flintstone power helps :lol:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

mustangwagz wrote:Well picked up a 86 spree this morning at 8am. Got it home and fired it on ether just to make sure it ran. Compression is good at 125 (manual says 114 minimum) Cleaned the carb, fuel tank, oil tank, all the strainers, etc etc. didnt get a plug just yet (sunday..parts store wasn't open). Little bugger does run good, 30 mph top speed across the flats. Everything seems to work except the horn. lol Darn! Now..was wandering if they make aftermarket reeds for these scoots? i been lookin..and cant find them. maybe i'm lookin in the wrong places, not sure. just kinda searched on here real quick and googled em and check ebay. can only find used reeds. It bogs outta the hole but once it cranks up it moves pretty good! but i was just wandering if replacing the reeds would give it a little better snap?

Also, as far as premix..what do yinz suggest for a ratio? The oil pump seems to be working (rode all day, didnt blow up, lol, and it smokes like typical 2 stroke but not overly smoky..over smoking means your wasting energy and power etc..if its like a chainsaw that is..) but just as a precaution i was thinkin bout mixin the 2 stroke myself. always have with anything 2 stroke i've owned. just gives ya a little more peace at mind..know what i mean.

Now as far as needing parts, i gotta email that greg fellow about a rear luggage rack, rear turn signals and the aux kick starter. Gonna try to legalize my scoot (or atleast make it look legit) for local trips to the grocery store N stuff.

hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here, like i said, only owned my scoot for one day and its pretty fun! lol hoping i can make this puppy a good running little scoot for years to come. Being able to pass it down to my boy would be pretty neat as well.

Thanks in advance for any information that anyone can provide, and if i've over looked a thread on this site that'll address the problems or questions i've asked i appologize for RE-posting. Thanks folks!

If you want a little more torque down low mill the head.020 to increase the compression.as for the stock oil pump its fine.premix only if the pump went bad and you don't want to spend money for another one.If you do premix,you will have to put a larger main jet as oil in the gas will thicken the fuel so less fuel will get through the jet and lean the engine out.Run synthetic 2 stroke oil in your bike.the belray si-7 oil is good for the stock oil injected engines and its pretty clean burning with very little carbon left behind to clog the exhaust port and rings.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Got my new plugs today, 2 bucks a piece for the NGK's (which i run in every small engine i own) and imma check out my exhaust so see if its carbon'd up. i paid NOTHING for the scoot. sittin in a yard this weekend with a free sign. ALL MINE NOW! lol just aint got the title which sucks cuz i wanted to legalize it.. :-( sad.. Oh well. maybe ill findone somewhere with a title and do some swapping? (hope anyhow!) ill get some pics of it tonight.
bakaracer: If you want a little more torque down low mill the head.020 to increase the compression.
as far as millin off .020, will i have to rejet?

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Ok so i recall reading somewhere on this site (but cant remember where) about lean conditions N whatnot along with UPPING a jet size in order to take care of lean problems. Here's the deal. Got scoot put back together, and runs good once you get it movin. Come to a stop, it seems to want to die. At idle while on the kick stand (elevated to keep rear wheel off ground) it idles fine. soon as you touch throttle, it bogs for a second, then takes off. Almost as if its to lean (am i right?) put clear line on to make sure its not gettin air locked, and its not, just from what i read (if i remember correct) if it wants to die when you touch the throttle, or bogs out (without a load) that is lean. Am i right folks?

With that in mind, Should i up the jet size, OR...(i was lookin at the manual i got from this website for it) and it shows different notch's that you can set the needle jet at. Should i try Richening it via the notchs?

if i go with the jet size, what size should i goto?

Thanks in advance folks!

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
05 vinson
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

I'd try the needle notches given that your problem only occurs coming out of idle. Of course, insert obligatory carb cleaning, idle jet, emulsion tube, etc :blah: here.
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Right right, yah did the carb cleaning a couple times already. lol (..drools...sometimes i are Dumb.. :? ) but yah, ive cleaned Everything!! Tank, petcock, strainers, lines, etc, etc. Tomorrow imma check plug to see what color it is. (its new aswell) and then put the other new one in that i bought too, and see what color it turns. If its lean, imma play with the notchs. If i cant correct problem that way, ill throw in the 90 jet i have coming (via ebaY!) and see what that does. If it aint lean....What else coud it be? I've got the air screw turned out to where the manual suggests. Should i maybe try a different plug as well? (Diff heat that is..) i know on my KX80 i had, hotter made it Way more responsive to throttle.

05 vinson
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

If that is the stock jug/piston, 90 is insanely rich. Like, whoa. 65 - 68 is normal. I'd pull the emulsion tube again and scrub out its home real good with a q-tip, as well as inspect the needle and fiddle with the needle notch. The screws should only effect idle. Not so much coming off idle. That is where the needle position starts making a bigger difference.
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

lol "like Whoa.." yah...sometimes i tend to OVER-DO it! lol i figured, *...that'll rich'n it up! hahaha. Yah imma fiddle-freak with the notch's tomorrow if i'm allowd...(looks over shoulder at girl who didnt get any attention today cuz the spree got it all instead...*gasp*) the emulusion tube wha??... :*: is that tube u be talkin bout..never heard that name. just know i scrubbed everything like 3 times in the past 2 days. lol

05 vinson
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Emulsion tube is the thing that lives just north of the main jet. It is a brass tube with some holes in the side. Make sure it is super clean as well as the slot it goes into. 90 jet is not going to run right with stock everything else. Way too rich. Waaaaay too rich. May not run at all.
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Checked plug. Runnin normal. just a little darker then cardboard. stock jet, super clean carb, lol moved the needle clip to third position. Richest positon it has. Funny thing is, before i moved the clip, i noticed if i stuck my fingers over the air box lid holes (2 of them..its stock) it responded Way better outta the idle but didnt top out like it does without my fingers on the holes. it didnt sputter to a stall either upon decel. so whats this mean guys am i missing something inside my carb? i also went around all the gasket areas and hose area's to see if i had a air leak, using ether and no sudden idle-up's. Lemme ask this.. I gotta inline fuel filter on it..new from the store, its a mower type filter, clear, has no restriction from what i can tell...its for gravity feed tanks..this this would screw me up?

05 vinson
Flea_Biskit
Spree
Spree

Post by Flea_Biskit »

well im not to sure about the filter but, when the fingers are covering the hole it makes the air to fuel mixture richer as we kno. So after that being stated it would leave me to believe that the slow jet still needs some attention it is the tube next to the main jet. did you get that one cleaned real good? soak it in carb cleaner spray the slow (aka pilot) jet out with air real good, spray carb cleaner down there and blow with air again cause its a really tiny hole that needs to be clear. I hope that makes cents to you. then if your still not positive its clear you can always get a guitar string to poke through there i think its the smallest one but idk

Good luck!
Ride it like you stole it'
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

A couple of things, first ether and reed valves together is asking for blown reeds, Don't use the stuff. Second, fingers over the inlet are making the motor richer. Oh and the main jet does not effect idle or low speed so changing the main will not help your idle issue. Adjust the idle mixture and/or the idle speed and stop screwing with the high speed mixture. To do a proper plug chop you run the scoot at WOT then turn the key "OFF", pull the plug and check it. If you idle the motor at all you will get an idle mixture reading, which should be rich as these things have no accelerator pump. Lastly order some SB-50 reeds and reed cages, they fit, are bigger and flow more air, but with a stock motor, don't expect much change. Wheelman used to have some carbon fiber reeds but IDK if he still does that.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I have a limited supply of Carbon-Kevlar laminate. I could carve out a set of SB reeds for say uhh... $200? :surprise:
Welcome back and whereya been, Bear? :)

Flea_Biskit, listen to The Bear. Ya might learn somethin'. I know I have.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Well did the WOT shut down. runnin like it oughta. maybe a little rich, but thats fine by me. better than lean. Put my air screw at 1.5 turns out. put on my NEW tank from "martynkim" along with the tail lightl lens and went for a cruise. got 30 outta it today. the "bog from idle is only when its cold..typical 2 stroke thing, just thought that maybe it was carb related N stuff from not having a choke. (that bystarter thing is dumb in my opinion) its like 40 here today, so i stuck my fingers over the air lid hole to get it started, then removed them once it ran for a few seconds. Warmed up and ran great. Now the sluggishness that i'm gettin after i stop and then try to go again, is either my drive belt (which is worn badly, looking for a new one asap) or maybe the little clutch pads..not sure. start with belt first. Cuz when i'm crankin down the road, no problem. but once i stop it seems to need more flinstone power than when i first take off (cold that is) but if i stop, let it cool for say..30 seconds or even better, a minute, it takes off rather nice. (like a rocket, big firey burnout and everything.....then i wake up) lol Got my horn working too..adjusted the screw on the back of it..i'm sure ill have it worn out soon. lol my neighbors are prolly tired of hearin it too. hahaha. i like noisy things, thats why i'm just itching to mod the exhaust. haha All in all, scoot is only missin a few parts i'd like to find but thats with time. Now...next thing is.. the turn signals wont blink. They Come on when i turn the switch on, but wont blink on they're own.. I can hear soemthing in the column (which sounds like a blinker relay) when i turn switch off and on..but yet..no blink blink. Gotta do it manualy. lol Any suggestions guys?

05 vinson