High Speed Variator Question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

High Speed Variator Question

Post by edoggdoremus »

I installed a new keli high speed variator on my '85 Aero and took it for a test drive. It started to rain very hard just as I started it up, so i did not get much of a test run in. Have some questions however on the things i noticed and wondering if they're in line with is what is supposed to happen after the installation of the high speed variator.

First off, when I initially started my scooter and rode it to the top of the driveway, when I full throttled it, the scooter held steady at higher RPMs, but wasn't accelerating at more than 5MPH. I kind of quarter throttled it a little with some stop and go's, and it gradually improved to where the scooter finally took off and got to top speed. I don't know if this is just the belt breaking in with the new variator or what. I thought i smelled burning rubber, but when i stopped and smelled around the clutch cover, the smell was gone so that may not be what it was...

Second concern that I noticed right away however; is that the initial takeoff acceleration is noticeably decreased compared to how my scooter performed with the OEM variator installed. The takeoff acceleration seemed to improve the more i scooted around, but in the end it still was diminished as to before.On the other hand though, that 5mph -20 mph acceleration seems to be nicely improved along with top end speed.

So, is this the expected results of the high speed variator... some reduced initial acceleration, but an increase in low end power and top speed? If not, could this be any other issues like a loose/worn belt?

I know that the point of the high speed variator is to push up the belt on the pulley face giving you a higher gear, but if someone could also give me a more detailed explanation of the high speed variator than that would also be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post...
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Re: High Speed Variator Question

Post by edoggdoremus »

Okay, the rollers that came with the variator were 9 grams. Does anyone know what the stock roller weights are? I know that decreasing the roller weights picks up the take-off, so I'm curious if the 9 grams was actually an increase in weight which may have contributed to the slower take-off. In any case, where is the best place to get some 7-8 gram roller weights?

thanks
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

How greasy were your hands when you re-assembled? How about the ramp plate? All the friction surfaces including the belt have to be squeaky-clean or the belt can slip.

The other possibility is that the splines between the outer pulley sheave and the crankshaft were not correctly engages. That's easier to do than you think, and care must be taken when you install that outer pulley.

When you dismantle to clean, pull it off to inspect those splines. Hope they're OK. Wash your hands, then hit both pulleys with Brake (not Carb) Cleaner. Dab at the belt too, and the now-greasy rear pulley.

Spread the rear pulleys to create a good amount of belt slack in front. I make a habit of jamming a 3/8 socket extension in from the front but you can also just push the belt down in there. Carefully line up the splines and be sure the outer pulley goes all the way on before you thread the washer and nut onto the crank. Apply 29 or 38 ft-lbs of torque (AF05 or 16?) to the nut while you lock the outer pulley with the appropriate holding tool.

Good luck!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

How greasy were your hands when you re-assembled? How about the ramp plate? All the friction surfaces including the belt have to be squeaky-clean or the belt can slip.

The other possibility is that the splines between the outer pulley sheave and the crankshaft were not correctly engages. That's easier to do than you think, and care must be taken when you install that outer pulley.

When you dismantle to clean, pull it off to inspect those splines. Hope they're OK. Wash your hands, then hit both pulleys with Brake (not Carb) Cleaner. Dab at the belt too, and the now-greasy rear pulley.

Spread the rear pulleys to create a good amount of belt slack in front. I make a habit of jamming a 3/8 socket extension in from the front but you can also just push the belt down in there. Carefully line up the splines and be sure the outer pulley goes all the way on before you thread the washer and nut onto the crank. Apply 29 or 38 ft-lbs of torque (AF05 or 16?) to the nut while you lock the outer pulley with the appropriate holding tool.

Good luck!

Thanks, I think I got the splines aligned correctly, but who knows.....so I really hope that this is not the case. How it would not respond at full throttle seems to me that it would be because of grease on the pulley. The old variator was loaded up with grease so it could have easily transferred. Well I should know by tomorrow afternoon, probably will have nightmares about stripped crankshafts tonight.....
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

So you don't know about putting a trans washer between the boss and ramp which bottoms out the belt giving perfect bottom end, this washer was illiminated in the 07 elite-s models making the trans weaker, yes you can also get shims to compensate for belt wear = old school wins again :wink:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

maddog wrote:in the 07 elite-s
:shock: Where can I get one?
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.