Frankenspree is whipping me

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Frankenspree is whipping me

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Picked up this basketcase a couple of years ago for $100, stuffed it in the trunk of car and drove off happy. It was more than one bikes worth of parts, but it was far from running. Took quite a bit of work, but I got the thing running in a few months. Then, it developed some bottom end noise and was taken out of commission end of last summer. Less than 1000 miles on that motor build, something was not right (scraping noise) but I haven't taken it apart yet to see what. Anyhow, the past 6 months I've been slowly rebuilding a different motor to put on this bike.

Today, the final bit I needed came in, was an oil seal. Installed it, put everything else together...and the thing started up clean within 2 seconds of hitting the starter button. I was thrilled. This thing has new bearings throughout, and brand new piston and rings. Everything had a light coat of oil on it during assembly. I ran it for a minute or so, tuned the carb (which was also completely rebuilt with new everything), got the idle and air set how I like it, shut it down, checked for leaks, made sure tranny oil was good. Took it around the block, maybe a quarter mile, varied speeds between 5 mph and 20 mph, seemed to run very nicely.

So, I figured job well done, it's 85 degrees out and it's time to take this pig up to the friendly neighborhood 7-Eleven for an ice cold Slurpee. 40 ounce, Coke flavor, just like always. Bike gets up there no problem at all. I get it up to 25 at one point, handles fine, no scraping noise, so I was right in that it was the engine. Turned the bike off, went in the store, got my Slurpee. Came out, put the key in, hit the starter...snap snap snap snap snap. Bike won't start. Makes an odd noise that I have never heard from any of my motors, a sharp snapping sound. Pushed bike a mile back home. Only got around to checking spark. Tomorrow I'll check the compression. I can only hope there is nothing wrong with the bottom end, but with my luck with this frame, it's all toast. Bummer.
Saved
Spree
Spree

Re: Frankenspree is whipping me

Post by Saved »

Bad luck man :/ At least you got that Slurpee though! 10 steps... drink... 10 steps...drink...
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

i have no valuable input
Last edited by fightingplankton on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
bradmeehan
Elite
Elite

Post by bradmeehan »

LOL I call one of mine 'Frankenspree' too.
1986 Spree
1986 Spree (Big Bore)
1985 Aero 50
1985 Aero 80
1988 Elite 50 (SB50)

1985 "OrangeJuice" (Sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CYYlkRRqa8
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

fightingplankton wrote:does the sound seem as if its coming from the starter, or more toward the other side?
possibly electrical arc being created somewhere? i am asking this because of the *snap* sound you indicated.
if its the snapping sound i'm hearing in my head soft, but percussive, check your wiring.
if you can, track down as best you can, the general area the sound is coming from.
I can't tell where it's coming from exactly, but it coincides with the spark. Doesn't happen with the spark plug wire disconnected. More when I get back to working on it probably this afternoon.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Compression at 45 psi. This is not looking good.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:Compression at 45 psi. This is not looking good.
Ya think? How much extra oil did you put into the tank for break-in?
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Found the leak. Back in October or November when I put the jug & head on this pig, I could have sworn I torqued the head bolts. Apparently this was not, in fact, the case. Re-torqued the head, added some more extra oil, and we're back in business.