Noob here . Idle problems 86 Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

WisconsinSpreeMan
Noob
Noob

Noob here . Idle problems 86 Spree

Post by WisconsinSpreeMan »

Hi all!

I am a :newb: so please go easy on me! I have searched the forums, but have not been able to find what I need, so I thought I would ask here...

My '86 Spree runs and rides pretty well...even with my fat butt on it, but it has an idle problem. On initial cold start up, it idles just fine and runs great. When warmed up and coming to a stop, when the clutch lets loose and the engine free wheels, it will often stall. To counteract this, I have to give it a little throttle to keep it from bottoming out and stalling. If it does stall, I will need to give it a little throttle when starting in order to get it to catch and run. Carb was recently cleaned by the P/O of the Scoot.

I have a decent amount of mechanical aptitude, but have not worked on a 2-cycle engine before. Many MANY 4 cycle tractor engines, but no 2-cycles.

One other thing that doesn't seem normal to me is that when I am riding down the road at full throttle, the engine will change the way it sounds and seem to drop in power a little bit. Almost seems like a 4 cylinder engine that loses fire in a plug once in a while. It comes back and has normal power. Sometimes this happens when I hit a minor bump in the road, but that would be the only causative action that I can put with it. It does do this at other times... just not when I hit a rut or bump.

Again,

Thanks for any help you can give as to where to head.

I love the way your forum is laid out!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Noob here . Idle problems 86 Spree

Post by fightingplankton »

out.
Last edited by fightingplankton on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

AT WOT the air screw makes any difference? I don't think so.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

out
Last edited by fightingplankton on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Ok so heres a thought..could be wrong, usualy am, lol Runs good when its cold...means bystarter is working, but once it warms up..it likes to die at an idle or when you freewheel to a stop. Maybe try Runnin in the idle screw? Just a pinch. Its the Screw with the spring on it. Now, yes..this will increase your idle at cold startups, but would fix your problems with coming to a stop. Now, for the airbox, Is it allllll in tact? like lid, filter, etc etc? you'll have to determine wether or not its running Rich or lean. Look into the forum for (PLUG CHOP) and see what your plug looks like. You'll have to buy a new spark plug and start with a fresh one to get correct readings. Run it at Wide open Throttle (WOT) and then hit the kill switch. This will show what its running like at WOT. *rich or lean* Also, buy another plug see what its doin at idle..rich or lean. Could be an improperly cleaned carb. * i had to clean mine like 6 times before i got it just right!!! Download the manual from the site as well. Help ya better understand your scoot. I'm sure bear or tazland or someone else can put alot more into this as well, seeing as they're like the scoot masters. lol they've taught me alotta stuff. imma mechanic myself, and never thought about stuff like i do now till they taught me things. *, when its chainsaw related *high and low screws* i can fix it, but this single screw, 2 stroke with a bystarter rather than a choke...now thats NEW to me..lol Pretty high tech for 86 as well! lol
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

fightingplankton wrote:thank you for your input bear...do you have anything constructive to say? anything that might help him since i am continually wrong?
Don't blame me if you are wrong. FYI the air screw is for idle and has such a small effect on WOT that it wouldn't be missed.

Here try tuning this.

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

First of all Welcome WisconsinSpreeMan! I must say even though the PO cleaned the carb GUESS WHAT?? Clean it again! then look for leaks as you do this. In the carb (gaskets) Is it reassembled correctly? airbox tight? Sprees don't like air leaks Let us know how it goes and post a pic of your ride!
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Here try tuning this
Sweeeet motor...* is it. lol At first glance i thought it was a MG motor, then realized that those got intakes that come in on the side. thems look to be directly down in or something...BMW motor maybe? what what what is it bear! lol Numreous carbs just make things look tricky...

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
05 vinson
WisconsinSpreeMan
Noob
Noob

Thanks for the welcome guys! To try to better explain what the sound is at WOT on the road... Have you ever heard a chainsaw at WOT when not cutting anything? It revs up and kind of "putts" a bit. When riding, you can feel the power dip when it putts like that...it really feels like a miss in a 4-cylinder 4-cycle engine. Then it comes back like nothing was wrong. The thing that is strange is that it does it when I run over a bump... odd!

Thanks for teaching me here... I work on Farmall Cub tractors all the time, and love the simplicity of that engine....this is new to me!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

yah the putt your talking about is what i call "4 stroking" when it comes to saws. Without a load, at wide open, a saw should do that..thats how ya know its tuned right. If it dont, its prolly to lean! Now as far as why the spree does that..not sure to be honest. like stated earlier, clean your carb again, over and over. EVERYTHING over and over. lol like marty said, check for air leaks but as far as when you hit a bump...im stumped. almost as if something bumps closed..or..becomes resticted..so..what would become resricted when you hit a bump? Maybe a broken reed?...but that wouldnt do it i dont think?...

Maybe the bump slows ya down enough it effects the motor and then has to get back upto speed?

05 vinson
WisconsinSpreeMan
Noob
Noob

Could the float (there is a float on a Spree carb, isn't there?) be sticking closed when bumped by the road? This would lean me toward the "clean everything" idea again... Is there a "carb kit" on the market for these with new gaskets, float needle cages, etc? I have never been in one of these carbs before, but it doesn't daunt me after being in larger tractor carbs...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

mustangwagz wrote:
Here try tuning this
Sweeeet motor...* is it. lol At first glance i thought it was a MG motor, then realized that those got intakes that come in on the side. thems look to be directly down in or something...BMW motor maybe? what what what is it bear! lol Numreous carbs just make things look tricky...
Mercury outboard 2 stroke factory race motor based on their inline 6, 90 to 150 horsepower engine. Only it has a different crank to change the firing order different reeds (V-block instead of flat) six big carbs instead of 3 smaller ones and a racing tower.

Ran it on this boat.

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

WisconsinSpreeMan wrote:Could the float (there is a float on a Spree carb, isn't there?) be sticking closed when bumped by the road? This would lean me toward the "clean everything" idea again... Is there a "carb kit" on the market for these with new gaskets, float needle cages, etc? I have never been in one of these carbs before, but it doesn't daunt me after being in larger tractor carbs...

Mike in La Crosse, WI

My thoughts exactly. Open up that carb and check it out. Download the service manual as suggested earlier. Wouldnt hurt to inspect the clutch and belt while you are at it.

You'll find that these motors are much easier to work on than you would think.

As for the carb rebuild kit, keyster makes one i see pop up on ebay every once and a while. Not sure if they are discountinued or what. If all else fails head over to the stealership or contact uspmale@yahoo.com for professional rebuilding services.

Good luck
:thumbsup:
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Open up that carb nothing intimidating inside very straight forward clean er up and give it a go. :thumbsup:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts