Trying to resurrect a Spree, locked up kickstart/starter

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jonnynabors
Noob
Noob

Trying to resurrect a Spree, locked up kickstart/starter

Post by jonnynabors »

So I've just acquired what I think to be an 86 Spree 50 from a guy who said one day it just stopped working. I pulled the carburetor out which had about a 1/2 inch of filth on the bottom bowl that I scraped out and a fully clogged jet. I cleaned that up, reattached the hoses and electric choke and did other checks (moved the old, black oil out of the reservoir, cleaned the air filter element, reattached some broken cables, checked fuse). Today I got a battery for it and the lights and ignition work fine but after a few clicks it just seized and locked up, stopped being able to kick and start the Spree. Any suggestions? I also have unscrewed the drain on the bottom of the carb and no fuel is coming out. Any help would be appreciated!
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Trying to resurrect a Spree, locked up kickstart/starter

Post by martynkim »

Ummm...... was there oil in the resivoir? seized?
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
jonnynabors
Noob
Noob

Post by jonnynabors »

There is oil in the reservoir behind the gas tank. I took off the crankcase and noticed the on the spindle that two of the teeth where the kick rotation begins were welded together. The gap is gone and it's just metal all the way across so I'm trying to off-set it and start the kick rotation one tooth forward.

Starting it with the crankcase off the starter pinion doesn't really look like it has the juice to turn everything over. So I'm assuming that I don't have the juice to start it electrically and the spindle is messed up and isn't letting me kick it manually. Thoughts?
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Hard to tell what you are saying. Pics? Don't try to start electric without the cover. You can mess things up. Charge that battery.Slowly, and not for very long.
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
jonnynabors
Noob
Noob

Post by jonnynabors »

The battery is new and I installed the acid and have it currently on a 1amp trickle charger. I'm trying to figure out why when I installed the battery and pressed the start button, it did two feeble attempts of starting the moped and then locked up to where the kickstart doesn't push down. Could that be the result of just being too zealous to start it on a not fully charged battery?

It seems that the flywheel or whatever the gear thing on the left is might be what's locked up? I'm a noob to fixing these so I'm open to any suggestions.

This picture is of the stuck together looking teeth on the spindle.

Here's a close-up of the pinion and whatever that turns that feels like it's locked up.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Last edited by martynkim on Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

martynkim wrote:From what I'm seeing that 1/2 moon gear is done. It is stripped at the first few teeth. It is also in the wrong position.
Lulwut? The half moon gear is like that on purpose so that on return it doesn't wander off the other gear. It's like a return stop. It also appears to be perfectly in position.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

jonnynabors wrote: Image
Here's a close-up of the pinion and whatever that turns that feels like it's locked up.
If you take a socket and turn the nut in front of that big sprocket on the right clockwise, what happens? Will it move, does it spin freely, does it spin freely if you remove the spark plug?
jonnynabors
Noob
Noob

Post by jonnynabors »

Thanks for the responses! It would roll counter-clockwise but get stuck rolling clockwise. I took off the engine and removed parts (carb, fuel lines etc.) for cleaning and further inspection. The piston is still fine but I took off the where the oil goes into the engine and cranked the roller around a few times to see small metal shards coming out of that opening. It feels like a ball bearing or a few have come out and gotten lodged in there so I'm in the process of removing the flywheel and all of that to see what the damage is.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

jonnynabors wrote:small metal shards coming out of that opening. It feels like a ball bearing or a few have come out and gotten lodged in there
This is obviously double-plus-ungood. My condolences to your motor, and good luck with the rebuild.
jonnynabors
Noob
Noob

Post by jonnynabors »

Thank you! The flywheel is covered in rust so I've had to assault it a few times w/ WD-40 so I can get it all taken apart with the help from a puller. I've reached my hands into where the fuel pump was and pulled out pencil shaving sized metal shards and even some metal the size of a grain of rice. Perhaps I'll post a picture if it turns out well. Thanks for all the help and I'll post again if there's a need for help or a part!
bradmeehan
Elite
Elite

Post by bradmeehan »

I know i'm a little late into this thread, but those two last teeth on the gear should look like that. All of my kickstart gears look that way and I believe they're shown like that in the manual. I thought the same thing the first time I had a jammed gear.
1986 Spree
1986 Spree (Big Bore)
1985 Aero 50
1985 Aero 80
1988 Elite 50 (SB50)

1985 "OrangeJuice" (Sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CYYlkRRqa8