Exhaust bug plug

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

outofcontrol
Noob
Noob

Exhaust bug plug

Post by outofcontrol »

Just a story that might help out another Spree owner.
Part 1:
I went to ride the spree to work Friday and she wouldn't start. Turned over 'till the battery died, but never fired. It was like she wanted to fire, but just wouldn't. I had just ridden her 3 days prior with no problems. I hooked up the battery charger and kept going. Nothing. I ran out of time so I took another motorcycle to work.
Came home and tried again. Same result. Pulled the plug to see if I had spark. Check. I unplugged the auto choke, no difference. I took off airbox side of the carb and I thought that I would manually choke the carb with my fingers and I noticed that there wasn't much vacuum. Didn't think about it much because I'm not really familiar with 50cc 2 strokes, but my chainsaw has more vacuum than that. next, took off the carb. cleaned it all out. thought maybe there was something that had clogged a jet or something, but found nothing.
Next I took off the exhaust to have a look in the exhaust port and I also wanted to check out the header to see if there was a restrictor that I could remove anyway. Just for fun, I hit the starter and she fired up. I quickly shut it down because I think itÔÇÖs bad for a motor to run without any back pressure. Finally, I looked down the tailpipe and found this:
I stuck a screwdriver in there and some kind of * off black bee or thin fly flew out and there was what looked like dried mustard all over my screwdriver. The amount of nasty yellow grime that came out was amazing. It must have been 6ÔÇØ deep. I started the bike and revved it up and jabbed my screwdriver up there until I didnÔÇÖt get any more crap coming out.
Part 2:
Now, as I was doing all this, I was taking notes on the jetting (68 main, needle 4th down), and looking for some free mods I could do to get just a little more performance out of her. I had heard of a restrictor washer in the exhaust header, but maybe it was another model. I also heard of drilling extra holes in the airbox. While I was doing this I noticed that someone had drilled one hole, so I drilled 2 more. Thinking more air = more power.
Now I took her out for a test run and she would fall on her face over ┬¢ throttle or 20mph. went back to the garage and did some bench testing and all the problems went away when I put my finger over the 3 holes in the airbox. I put some tape over the holes and she was better than before. I think the one hole was leaning it out just a little. The point of the story is: Tiny little adjustments on this bit of kit make huge differences. I was amazed. But what it also means to me is that thereÔÇÖs some power to be had with a larger jet and maybe even more holes.
Next:
I'm going to buy an assortment of jets 70-80 and see how many holes I can drill and match to the jetting. I would imagine that at some point I'll hit the limits of flow for the exhaust or carb.
-Kevin
1985 Honda Spree NQ50
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Exhaust bug plug

Post by bakaracer »

OH s*** thats awesome! :rock: these dam bugs
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

The intake holes is a know thing with the Spree and more jet doesn't help. The intake system and the exhaust system are designed for the engine from the openings in the air cleaner to the outlet for the exhaust unless you are gonna redesign the system, you will be wasting your time and taking a chance of seizing your motor from being to lean.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

ya oughta consider burning the exhaust out with a torch just to get er good and clean!!
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
outofcontrol
Noob
Noob

Post by outofcontrol »

Bear45-70 wrote: unless you are gonna redesign the system, you will be wasting your time and taking a chance of seizing your motor from being to lean.
Hummm. bummer. almost every motor I've ever owned has some free or easy mods to get just a little better running engine. I've been reading on this site for several hours now and I can't find a guide to spree hop-ups besides swapping motors or doing a big bore.

I bought this thing for $40, and it's fine, but there's a little hill from home to work that I can only go 25mph up and it's a 30mph zone so the cars get * and sometimes tailgate me waaaaay too close. I'd just like a little more power so that I stay over 30 up a slight grade.
1985 Honda Spree NQ50
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

outofcontrol wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote: unless you are gonna redesign the system, you will be wasting your time and taking a chance of seizing your motor from being to lean.
Hummm. bummer. almost every motor I've ever owned has some free or easy mods to get just a little better running engine. I've been reading on this site for several hours now and I can't find a guide to spree hop-ups besides swapping motors or doing a big bore.

I bought this thing for $40, and it's fine, but there's a little hill from home to work that I can only go 25mph up and it's a 30mph zone so the cars get * and sometimes tailgate me waaaaay too close. I'd just like a little more power so that I stay over 30 up a slight grade.
Yah bbk man. lol Thats about it. For more top speed, get a bigger rear tire. 3.00 OR 80/90 MAX SIZE! lol BUT the bigger tire kills your stock bottom end.

i'm currently breaking in a 44mm bbk (Pouts cuz taz's 48 will SOOn be available, lol) and i can tell ya that my scoot runs better now at half throttle than it origianlly did with Full throttle on the stock bore.

I dont gotta flintstone it at all with the bbk, and i live here in PA so we gots Lots of hills!
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

If I had to guess, I'd say that a mud dauber got in there and built a nest.
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.
outofcontrol
Noob
Noob

Post by outofcontrol »

Saved wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say that a mud dauber got in there and built a nest.
After looking at what a Mud Dauber is online, that's exactly what it is.
Thanks,
Kevin
1985 Honda Spree NQ50
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

Their sting is much more painful then a bee's. Be happy... :O
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Those bugs seem to love exhasut pipes! Funny how sensitive a spree exhaust is. I put my finger over stigner yesterday jusst to see and the motor stalled.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock