What is the best way to clean the gas tank on a 86 spree?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

adfl7394
Noob
Noob

What is the best way to clean the gas tank on a 86 spree?

Post by adfl7394 »

I am need of a gas tank but I can't really find one that I can afford right now that is in good shape. What is the best way to clean the rust out of the tank it keeps pluging the screen in the tank and stopping the flow of gas. Please help!!!
Wheelman-111

Re: What is the best way to clean the gas tank on a 86 spree?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If it's just rust, your local Honda-san dealer - indeed any brand of bike dealer - should have a branded commercial 2-part product to do this right. (If it's coagulated and petrified Fossil Fuel Residues, search The Beast! :twisted: for my own adventures in Tank Hygiene...)

Eventually I used a kit from Yamaha, but there's a product called Kreme many endorse. Vinegar soaking is cheaper, but may not be as permanently effective. Instructions are included with the commercial products. You need to remove the petcock and find a way to cap the spigot.

Dump a hardware store's worth of nuts and fasteners - I've found the "Star" type lockwashers particularly effective - while whichever acid cleaner is in the tank and shake for maybe like a couple months. Wear protective gear for the nasty commercial stuff - muriatic acid is the active ingredient. NO HUFFING!! You can re-use the vinegar for a High Iron-Content Salad Dressing. Anyway, dump the contents, rinse at the carwash with a high-pressure hose for another month, then coat the tank with the sealer if you're using the 2-part stuff. If not, consider pouring a couple ounces of GN-2 into the tank and tilt the tank all around to cover bottom sides and top.

Refill with fuel and enjoy crud-free riding for several weeks at least.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

certainly not as effective as a commercial product but what ive done in the past............

drain the gas and fill it with diesel. Throw a couple nuts, washers, bolts, etc. Shake it around for a few minutes. Drain the diesel out and have fun fishing the nuts and bolts out. Dump a little 2 stroke oil in if you don't fill it with fuel right away to keep it well oiled, or it could start to rust again
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

i used muratic acid, and some nuts and bolts and did pimpin's method. worked great.

i gotta tank thats like CHERRY shape i could prolly part with?..what price range you thinkin?
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

i used nuts on their own and rinsed, to get all the big flakes.
naval jelly and nuts then rinsed, to get the smaller pieces.
then shook around acetone to get rid of water in the tank.
blew out the tank with compressed air for what seemed like forever.
let fully dry overnight.

if you have pin holes coat with red kote. good stuff as long as you use it in a thin coat. if its too thick it will never dry...
most o'riely auto parts carry red kote, and seems to have a just slightly better reputation than kreem.
either product is good, you just have to follow the directions implicitly.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Seven years in a South Texas garage with what started out as a full tank of gasoline. Cleaning chronicled Here.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

what you can do is take the petcock off and take the screen out.drain the gas .take the float off,get a vacuum cleaner and find a 5/8in ID hose about 18in long tape it to the end of the vacuum with electrical tape since it stretches tight to seal of any gaps. get a long flat head screw driver and scrap the rust at the bottom of the tank use the vacuum to suck up the rust.you can use the nuts and washers to shake off any rust that might be on the sides and the roof of the tank.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

My Gyro tank had some surface rust that I cleaned by dropping some of these pyramid shape resin pieces used in metal vibrator/tumblers for polishing/rust removal
Wow. They took the rust right off with me shaking it for about 20 minutes.

Now, I have rust powder inside, do I rinse with water and then coat with 2-stroke oil, or some other way to get rid of the powder? I won't be putting gas in it for at least a week, and I don't have a compressor so no air.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I'd take it to the nearest self-serve car wash and blast away for about $3.00 worth, or until the water running out is clear. Bring a couple ounces of GN-2 along and coat it as soon as you're done. The oil will stick to the tank sides and displace the water pretty well. Set the tank in the sun for a day and you're done.
Wheelman-111
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

just stick a little diesel (or any other chemical really) in and shake around and drain. Do that a few times until the chemical comes out the same color you put it in. If your chemical of choice has low oil content, stick a little oil in when your done or it will rust
RZRob
Goped
Goped

Post by RZRob »

Muratic acid is the most effective, but the surface must be treated immediately or it will rust as it dries. I began with that, but ultimately used the POR 15 kit that finishes with a coating. I've used this on 3 tanks with fantastic results. It's worth the $40 and solves the problem once and for all. http://www.amazon.com/POR-CYCLE-FUEL-TA ... B000H9K4JQ

Of course, you need to remove the cap, screen filter and sender unit, but this is easy.

RZ Rob
RZRob
Goped
Goped

Post by RZRob »

I liked the idea of a safety tab off the stud above (Thanks MiniCooperS & FightingPlankton), so I fabricated this from a piece of aluminum flatstock I had laying around. Simple and effective.

RZ Rob
SE50_4_ME
Goped
Goped

Post by SE50_4_ME »

I did an hour or two research on the net about how to clean the inside of my elite tank. ( inside of tank wasn't that bad, just a little bit of particles at the bottom and some minor rust spots)
And all i could only really find were these fancy methods of how to do it with special chemicals, epoxys and compressed air, diesel, vinegar etc. I didn't have access to any of that. (Well i could have bought vinegar etc but I am a bit on the impatance side.)

So what i did, was; drain tank, tape up bottom hole, then spray a good half a can of WD40 /CRC in there. gave that a good shake, then drained it. Then did it again but this time threw in a few washers and other non sharp edge metal items in. and gave that a good shake then left it, then shook some more. Then drained all that. Then rinced it all out with about 500mls of 'low odour' mineral turps i had. And it came up pretty good. When i'm ready to install and get bike running again, i will flush with actual fuel once more, then put in the final fresh fuel.

I have now taped up all the holes and i am going to sand/scuff all the outside back. And spray with gloss black chassis black paint. should look pretty neat when finished.

Oh, don't forget, I am a full :newb: so if you choose to do this be it on your own head.

Plus Not one drop of water entered my tank. :wink:
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

you need to put some oil in there or it will rust. Spray some wd-40 in there, Or better yet, stick a little 2 stroke oil in