Carberator problems or something else?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sunshine67
Noob
Noob

Carberator problems or something else?

Post by Sunshine67 »

Having problems with my 86 Spree. My scooter keeps dying on me while I'm driving it -- I can be out there cruising, and then the engine just stops and the scooter is no longer running. This can happen like 5 times before I can finally get it going and to stay going. What could this mean? Is it the carberator? I had a motorcycle mechanic fix the carberator last year and I'm wondering if he did something wrong. Also, the exhuast coming out of my scooter is very dirty. When I look in my rearview mirror as I'm driving I see lots of grey smoke.
desperado
BMX
BMX

Re: Carberator problems or something else?

Post by desperado »

Sunshine67 wrote: I had a motorcycle mechanic fix the carberator last year and I'm wondering if he did something wrong.
The carburetor should be cleaned since it seems to have sat a while?
It is quite simple to do. Search for the carb cleaning posts, they are step by step with pictures to guide you.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

If it is shutting off like you turned the key off then it is NOT the carb. Probably a bad electrical connection or some part with heat issues.

If it sputters and take 15 seconds or so to die then the carb is running out of fuel.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

Sunshine67 wrote:Having problems with my 86 Spree. My scooter keeps dying on me while I'm driving it -- I can be out there cruising, and then the engine just stops and the scooter is no longer running. This can happen like 5 times before I can finally get it going and to stay going. What could this mean? Is it the carberator? I had a motorcycle mechanic fix the carberator last year and I'm wondering if he did something wrong. Also, the exhuast coming out of my scooter is very dirty. When I look in my rearview mirror as I'm driving I see lots of grey smoke.
what plug are you using?have you cleaned the airfilter?
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Circumstances matter - mileage, how long did it sit, etc.?

If the pump is leaking a drop a day, you could have started with a considerable puddle of oil in the cases. The first few plugs might foul out pretty quickly if so. If your Mechanic got it running, presumably it wasn't before? If it ran afterwards, let's assume the carb was correctly assembled. However vacuum leaks, compression, carbonized pipe... it's a long list. Without knowing the current condition and more details, see above, it's hard to say.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH