spree clutch, and mystery clutch

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tha juggalo boss
Goped
Goped

spree clutch, and mystery clutch

Post by tha juggalo boss »

Does any one know what the difference is if any between the clutch with 2 arms and the clutch with 3 arms(besides the fact that one has two arms and one has three)? i.e. Wich one is better, worse, or same-if there is any difference between the spring tentions in the two, and if the springs are different, could you benafit from swapping them around In any way? :confused:
Last edited by tha juggalo boss on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is what it is-I drive a Cadillac-but I still love riding my elite!!
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Spree clutch

Post by Trafficjamz »

tha juggalo boss wrote:Does any one know what the difference is if any between the clutch with 2 arms and the clutch with 3 arms(besides the fact that one has two arms and one has three)? i.e. Wich one is better, worse, or same-if there is any difference between the spring tentions in the two, and if the springs are different, could you benafit from swapping them around In any way? :confused:
I am pretty sure the clutch that has 2 arms is from an elite e.

Hmmmm this give me an idea :idea:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
tha juggalo boss
Goped
Goped

@Traffic Jamz- your comment about the springs on the spree clutch- in your reply to my question about the clutch mod got me thinking as well- we may be thinking along the same lines- let me know what you come up with!
ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

i got some 2000rpm clutch springs that are for a variated afo5e they wouldnt fit in the spree clutch they were about 3mm longer so i heated up the two ends with the hooks on them and bent them in till each spring was about 1mm shorter than the standard ones fitted them up and it works mint they dont engage the clutch till between 2000 and 3000rpm it made a decent difference in take off when im slowing down from WOT the clutch disengauges at about 15mph and motor drops back to idle with the standard springs in it the clutch engauged as soon as you gave it a bit of gas when im at the lights now i can give it a few revs without moving i just love the sound of the exhaust i made :peace:
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

ae86guy wrote:i got some 2000rpm clutch springs that are for a variated afo5e they wouldnt fit in the spree clutch they were about 3mm longer so i heated up the two ends with the hooks on them and bent them in till each spring was about 1mm shorter than the standard ones fitted them up and it works mint they dont engage the clutch till between 2000 and 3000rpm it made a decent difference in take off when im slowing down from WOT the clutch disengauges at about 15mph and motor drops back to idle with the standard springs in it the clutch engauged as soon as you gave it a bit of gas when im at the lights now i can give it a few revs without moving i just love the sound of the exhaust i made :peace:
Nice!!!! You should post pics :smile:
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

tha juggalo boss wrote:@Traffic Jamz- your comment about the springs on the spree clutch- in your reply to my question about the clutch mod got me thinking as well- we may be thinking along the same lines- let me know what you come up with!
Can you post a pic of the two clutches side by side(2 arm & 3 arm)?
tha juggalo boss
Goped
Goped

ae86guy wrote:i got some 2000rpm clutch springs that are for a variated afo5e they wouldnt fit in the spree clutch they were about 3mm longer so i heated up the two ends with the hooks on them and bent them in till each spring was about 1mm shorter than the standard ones fitted them up and it works mint they dont engage the clutch till between 2000 and 3000rpm it made a decent difference in take off when im slowing down from WOT the clutch disengauges at about 15mph and motor drops back to idle with the standard springs in it the clutch engauged as soon as you gave it a bit of gas when im at the lights now i can give it a few revs without moving i just love the sound of the exhaust i made :peace:
good plan-i was wondering about the ammount of accuracy needed to customize a set of stock clutch springs with out compramiseing their ability to function properly-I didnt think I could get them close enough to the same tention and figured i would wind up with a different ammount of wear on each of the clutch arm pads not to mention wearing them out quickly and possibly ruining the bearings in the transmition case- but it worked for you- I guess i over thought it a bit!! :crazy:
tha juggalo boss
Goped
Goped

Trafficjamz wrote:
tha juggalo boss wrote:@Traffic Jamz- your comment about the springs on the spree clutch- in your reply to my question about the clutch mod got me thinking as well- we may be thinking along the same lines- let me know what you come up with!
Can you post a pic of the two clutches side by side(2 arm & 3 arm)?
Will post photos soon!!
ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

ill post a pic of the clutch with new springs in it tomorrow i dont think the springs i modded r all exactly the same tension but they are pretty close i havent had any problems with them and they are heaps better than standard ones
Last edited by ae86guy on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
tha juggalo boss
Goped
Goped

ae86guy wrote:ill post a pic of the clutch with new springs in it tomorrow i dont think the springs i modded r all exactly the same tension but they are pretty close i havent had any problems with them and they are haeps better than standard ones
deffinatly let me know how much they have worn or if they are worn differently from one to the next!!! if they arent showing any signs I will probably attempt it!!! thanks for being willing to tear it appart just for some photos!! :thumbwink:
ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

finally got to pulling it apart heres some pics of the springs i adjusted to fit my spree clutch the ones next to it are the stock springs and my weapon of choice when taking off my pulleys and clutchs sorry i forgot to take a pic of the clutch pads yes they are wear slightly more to one side but clutch still works great i had my original pads relined a while back at a brake and clutch shop here it only cost $40nzd so not to worried if they wear out a wee bit quicker than normal thats what normally happens to parts when you make things go faster or work harder than they are supposed to

ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

hope that helps some one else should do it it aint hard and it makes a difference

:peace: :2thumbs: :peace:
tha juggalo boss
Goped
Goped

photos of two arm clutch and three arm clutch-
Attachments
DSC00640.JPG
DSC00640.JPG (143.72 KiB) Viewed 5969 times
DSC00638.JPG
DSC00638.JPG (138.83 KiB) Viewed 5967 times
DSC00637.JPG
DSC00637.JPG (138.64 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
tha juggalo boss
Goped
Goped

another photo
Attachments
DSC00641.JPG
DSC00641.JPG (143.95 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
yamahauler660r
Spree
Spree

Post by yamahauler660r »

So, what's that 2 arm from? :?
My 2 wheeled bikes:
99 Elite S
97 Z50R
96 Elite S
89 Elite E x2
86/96 "Spree S/SpreElite"