Won't Idle

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

alemeno
BMX
BMX

Won't Idle

Post by alemeno »

I just swapped my 87 spree motor for an 85 spree motor, it starts and runs fine but won't idle. I've cleaned the carb twice and soaked it in dip overnight and it idled fine when the 87 motor was running, plus the bystarter on it is brand new. I've tried adjusting the idle screw and I've made sure the throttle is positioned properly in the carb. I put the reeds and carb off of the 87 motor onto the 85 motor, would this make any difference?
alemeno
BMX
BMX

Re: Won't Idle

Post by alemeno »

And when I start it I have to give it half throttle.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

after idling for a while (or trying to get it to idle), try pulling the spark plug and see what it looks like. it'll tell you if your mixture is way off
alemeno
BMX
BMX

Post by alemeno »

I did a plug chop and it looks like the mixture is fine. I was using crappy oil that didn't mention injector use and I'm thinking of replacing it with higher quality stuff. There is no honda store close by so I can't easily get the stock honda stuff, so what do you guys use? Is their any cleaning of the lines or any procedures that I need to do before changing the oil?
alemeno
BMX
BMX

Post by alemeno »

Ok so I found a place nearby that sells the honda oil and I put that in the scooter along with a new spark plug and now it runs great. It idles but still likes to die once warmed up, and it dies when I go from riding around to a stop. I've tried all the adjustments on the carb and I've cleaned it a few times and dipped it and made sure to use wire to unclog all the small holes and jets. Any thing else I need to check?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

alemeno wrote:Ok so I found a place nearby that sells the honda oil and I put that in the scooter along with a new spark plug and now it runs great. It idles but still likes to die once warmed up, and it dies when I go from riding around to a stop. I've tried all the adjustments on the carb and I've cleaned it a few times and dipped it and made sure to use wire to unclog all the small holes and jets. Any thing else I need to check?
I would suspect that setting the idle mixture to spec and adjusting the idle speed for closer to 1800 RPM (or until the rear wheel no long spins when the scooter is on the stand at idle) will fix your issues, now that you have good oil flowing thru it's viens.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree