CH150 valve timing help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

CH150 valve timing help

Post by mr pibbs »

I am trying to adjust my valve timing, but i am not doing very well. Does anyone have any tips or advise?

What is a graduation as it pertains to the markings on the intake and exhaust adjusters?
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
nacree
Spree
Spree

Re: CH150 valve timing help

Post by nacree »

I do it by feel with the engine running-

Get it started and loosen one adjuster and simply move the adjuster until the valve stops ticking (use a tiny bit of pressure) and tighten up the adjuster. Then do the opposite valve. I wouldn't worry about what each graduation is. See:

HTTP://www.ch250.net/techtips/5.htm

Has not failed me yet and my '87 ch150 will pull close to 60 mph.

Nathan
Albuquerque NM
az_slynch
Spree
Spree

Post by az_slynch »

I'd look here first:

http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Elite_C ... _85-86.pdf

Section 6, page 14. Sets up similarly to a CH80 Elite. There's a mark on the flywheel and on the cam. Once those are set, install the cam chain tensioner and set the valve lash.
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'65 Allstate Compact (DS60)
'74 Vespa 125 Primavera (VMA2)
'81 Vespa P200E (VSX1) (2)
'83 Yamaha Riva (XC180K) (2)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
'89 Honda Elite E (SB50P)
nacree
Spree
Spree

Post by nacree »

az_slynch wrote:I'd look here first:

http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Elite_C ... _85-86.pdf

Section 6, page 14. Sets up similarly to a CH80 Elite. There's a mark on the flywheel and on the cam. Once those are set, install the cam chain tensioner and set the valve lash.

Won't work. Trust me been there, done exactly that- have you? The timing mark on the cam is not there. I presented two sources that confirm that it is easier to do with the engine running and you reply with a solution you have not tried. Not to be a * but you are leading someone down the wrong path. There is very little point in trying to do a static valve adjustment. Get the motor to operating temp, slacken the adjusters and then move the adjusters until the noise goes away. The engine will instantly start running better when you hit the sweet spot. Very easy and quick. Like I said, never failed me yet and I have a CH150, A CH250 and a Helix.
az_slynch
Spree
Spree

Post by az_slynch »

I admit, I don't own a 150. I've rebuilt one for a friend and it did alright. The setup is similar to a CH80, though. I set mine up by Honda-san's procedure for cam timing, but I did run the exhaust valve at 0.6mm instead of 0.5mm (bit too tappy at 0.7mm) to keep the valve from tightening up too much when it gets hot. Old VW trick for the #3 cylinder. It'll pull 47mph with my 250lbs on it. I'd like to think that Honda-san knew a thing or two about their products and I'd hope they knew how to set them up for reliability.

If I really intended to mislead someone, I wouldn't point them to a factory service manual. I do see that the manual is for '85-'86 Elites, maybe it's different for the '87?
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'65 Allstate Compact (DS60)
'74 Vespa 125 Primavera (VMA2)
'81 Vespa P200E (VSX1) (2)
'83 Yamaha Riva (XC180K) (2)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
'89 Honda Elite E (SB50P)
nacree
Spree
Spree

Post by nacree »

az_slynch wrote:I admit, I don't own a 150. I've rebuilt one for a friend and it did alright. The setup is similar to a CH80, though. I set mine up by Honda-san's procedure for cam timing, but I did run the exhaust valve at 0.6mm instead of 0.5mm (bit too tappy at 0.7mm) to keep the valve from tightening up too much when it gets hot. Old VW trick for the #3 cylinder. It'll pull 47mph with my 250lbs on it. I'd like to think that Honda-san knew a thing or two about their products and I'd hope they knew how to set them up for reliability.

If I really intended to mislead someone, I wouldn't point them to a factory service manual. I do see that the manual is for '85-'86 Elites, maybe it's different for the '87?

I know you were not intentionally trying to mislead- it's just that the service manual is dead wrong. I have never seen a CH150 that has the timing mark on the cam. The only difference in the '87s is a new body style. The motor is the same.

People get too wrapped around the numbers when trying to set the valve clearances. The perfect amount of clearance is when the valves -just- stop making noise. Those adjusters are so sloppy that there is no point in trying to use them to set the clearance to a particular prescribed number using the timing marks. Like the link I posted to Randy Pozzi's site says it is better to have the valves slightly loose than too tight. Too tight causes a horrendous amount of wear in a short time.

It is seriously a five minute job when you set the clearances with the engine running.

Try it- you'll like it.