Ch150 Exhaust leak

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Ch150 Exhaust leak

Post by mr pibbs »

I hear these occur often in the Ch150/250's.

So the bike came with an exxhuast that sounded like a locomotive so i changed the gasket. The "gasket" that came out looked like a 1/4" right of steel that was shoved up in there. no aluminum gasket.

I thought it was crazy with a felt circle around the aluminum ring. But i installed it and heard an immediate difference in sound. However, i can feel air escaping around thewhere the exhaust meets. I can't tighted the exhaust bolts up any more than they are, but the bracket doesn't seem tight enough.

Does anyone have any expirence with this? Should i add some washers to the bolts so it can snug up a little more?
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
Wheelman-111

Re: Ch150 Exhaust leak

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Mis-Quoth Mr. Pibbs:
The "gasket" that came out looked like a 1/4" right of steel that was shoved up in there. no aluminum gasket. ...I thought it was crazy with a felt circle around the aluminum ring.
Not sure what a 1/4" right of steel is, for a fact. Did you mean a sort of donut that looks like it was formed by compressing fine steel wool? If so, keep this going. Harley-Davidson uses the same type gasket. They must be fully compressed, but not over-compressed. For sure they leak if installed, then loosened, then re-installed.

The flanges, studs and port recesses are supposed to allow the gasket to become compressed to precisely the correct degree. However if a stud was ever broken/replaced at any point, it may be tricky to tighten it up correctly.

HTH
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Ch150 Exhaust leak

Post by mr pibbs »

It's not steel - it's aluminum, i was wrong But it is hard and solid. Nothing like what i replaced it with. The new ring has only been installed/compressed once.

here are some picks.
1993 Elite - The Mad Max